“An old favourite has not aged well !”

Wellington Hotel Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“An old favourite has not aged well !”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We were looking forward to returning to an old favourite " the Wellie" but came away sadly disappointed. Although the place has been renovated and is very cosy and olde-worlde - and the staff were pleasant - the menu has nothing original, just bog-standard pub food mainly based around steaks, salads, pies... nothing to give a wow factor. The food was extremely ordinary - a salad with very little other than leaves, a tiny pot of dressing and a tiny amount of chicken cunningly concealed by sections of pitta bread ( but we found it eventually !) The steak was also very small and the chips barely covered the plate. One mushroom and half a tomato as garnish - nobody could describe this as anything other than measly ! This is unusual in this part of the world where portion size is based around the appetite of a pack of hungry wolves. We did find room for a dessert (!) This was an improvement, chocolate torte with raspberries, but the bill - two mains, two drinks, one dessert - was unreasonable at £36. I felt sorry for the waitress who was fielding complaints - but the speed at at which she disappeared after handing us the bill suggested that she was used to this !

• Visited June 2012

Darlington, England
“Very nice staff”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My wife and i went into the Wellington for a drink and a meal last week, we found the staff to be very welcoming, and a great choice on the menu and at the bar.
We enjoyed it that much that we returned at the weekend and had an excellent lunch.
The service and the food,are excellent.
We will return next time we are up in the area.

• Visited June 2012
Hexham, England, United Kingdom
“Very underwhelmed”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Have been to this establishment three times over the past 6 months, every time I’ve eaten here it has proved to been a disappointment. I will not be going back in a hurry!
On the first occasion the starters took over 40 minutes to arrive and people who were arrived after as were getting there food served first. (I would like to add we had nothing over complicated and it did not require this time to wait, in fact all three of us had soup.)
On the second occasion the pub was busy and there was not enough floor staff to effectively serve all the customers who were dining.
On the third visit which was on the 28th of May 2012, I took two of my friends out to dinner, when we arrived the seating area outside was full but when we went into the restaurant it was fairly quiet. There looked to be one person serving on the bar, one manager and two waiting staff on the floor.
Our drinks order was taken but the drinks took about ten minutes to reach the table, the food order was taken in good time. We decided to order off the evening meal deal menu and all had the soup to start. There were no problems to report here.
For our main meals we had the steak and ale pie, the lasagne and the ‘brewer chicken’. The first two meals were fine. However when the chicken arrived it was STONE cold, not even luke warm. I told the manager and the meal was returned and we were told a replaced would be made.
During the time it took to prepare and serve the chicken, the rest of the table had finished there meal, not a very social experience I think you would all agree. The meal took 15 minutes to come back to the table and there was very little in the way of an apology and no recompense given for the inconvenience. During the time a sat and waited for the meal there were at least five other meals going out, and only once did someone come over and say the meal would be five minutes.
I am thoroughly disappointed with the experience once again and will not be going back.

• Visited May 2012
high spen
“very friendly staff, good food”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

have been here a few times now staff very friendly and sociable, good selection of food can usually get a table without booking but advisable if with bigger party.
found prices to be good and service very good even when busy

• Visited March 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Food quality/value.”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This place is a gem, especially for the food. I have to admit that I have only eaten lunches here, but have friends who often dine here at night, and they share my assessment. The bar area is a decent size, and leads into a pleasant open plan restaurant.

There is a special lunch menu which offers a 2 or 3 course meal at extremely good prices, and the quality is as good as I've had anywhere else (for a lot more money). If I lived in this village I would hardly be away from The Wellington.

• Visited April 2012