“Excellent meal”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Aylesbury
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Good honest food in a friendly relaxed atmosphere. The staff were cheerful and friendly and knew what they were doing. My wife's fish pie was excellent and gourmet burger wasn't bad either. Good value and good beer.

Visited June 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dreadful food, staff couldn't give a monkeys”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Ordered a pulled smoked chicken salad as a main and was presented with some lettuce , rocket and lambs leaf along with avocado so over ripe it was mush and a few slices of chicken, for the grand sum of £10.49. It was nothing more than a starter, and a poor one at that. The waitress asked " was everything ok...good" and walked off without waiting for a reply. Extremely poor experience, will not eat her again

1 Thank foodie12121212
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Wellington Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear foodie12121212

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Wellington Hotel with regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer
Stocksfield, United Kingdom
“An expensive Wetherspoons, if you like your Wetherspoons food cold and microwaved.”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We hadn't been to the Wellington for a few years and decided to drop in on spec for a meal. This was always a place you could get great food, but tonight it was a huge disappointment on many levels. The food was served in a staggered fashion, I waited several minutes before starting my meal, as I was waiting for my dining companions to be served. Eventually, I began eating my now cold mixed grill. 10 minutes later my friends were served. My food was uninspiring, the meat overdone and gristly. My other half ordered the ravioli. It looked like it had been microwaved several times. Incredibly dry and crunchy. Not how ravioli should be! The quality of the food is very much below that of a generic pub eatery like Wetherspoons. The difference is we spent £50 tonight- the same would have cost £30 at Wetherspoons, and it would have been hot, served in a timely fashion and not overlooked. We didn't complain as the staff were friendly and helpful- the problems seemed to be in the kitchen. Very sad, as this used to be a hotel if some local renown. Reviews over the last 6 months suggest it is going badly wrong. Certainly that is my experience.

• Visited June 2014
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Wellington Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Nick G

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“A good standard pub lunch”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Wellington is a pub which specialise in bar food. There is waitress service which was friendly and efficient. We chose from the special lunch menu offering two courses for around £8 and the food whilst nothing out of the ordinary was of good quality and enjoyable. For around £8 I would class it as a bargain.

“Jazz”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly it was a delight to hear jazz vocal and instrumental on late afternoon visit. Was that Miles Davis? This is a genre mostly ignored by most restaurants but it at once made it seem interesting and sophisticated.

Sadly come 5pm the sounds changed to more popular stuff but understand need to appease early evening tastes.

Food was fab, daughter loved Brewer's Chicken with a lovely beer kick in barbecue sauce. My veggie burger fine though couldn't discern sweet potato or mozzarella as somewhat overpowered by herb crust. Might I suggest nuts rather than some of herbs. Chips and accompaniments fab.

Lastly, staff friendly and attentive. Very nice meal will return