“Outstanding food and service”
Review of The Griffin

The Griffin
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Bowdon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 March 2014

After receiving an email advertising a new menu we decided we would visit. The service we received yesterday was fantastic. With every table full, it seemed a very busy day for them all but not once did we feel neglected. The food was outstanding and very flavoursome. I had the duck and sweet chilli noodles. It was cooked to perfection. My boyfriend had the Sunday rib of beef which he said just melted in his mouth. Overall I can not fault any part of our visit and will definitely be going back. Well done The Griffin you've really excelled yourself.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

My family and I have frequented this pub for 10 years or more but as we moved from the area a while ago haven't been so often. We decided to go for lunch today for old times.
Decor was lovely, it was always smart but has had a decor refresh. The staff welcome was friendly and attentive.
Personally I found the menu unexciting. As a vegetarian the choices were limited. Almost everything had Stilton as an ingredient although to be fair there was egg mayonnaise sandwiches on offer. Not very mouthwatering. I opted for the soup of the day which again was Stilton and celery. My sister ordered the same. The waitress returned to say there was only one portion of Stilton soup but they also had pea and ham. My sister agreed to the pea soup.
The soup was tasty and the Stilton not too overpowering. It wasn't that hot and the butter for the fresh bread was rock hard and unspreadable. Unfortunately in my soup was a piece of ham which put me off finishing it. I guess it accidentally fell in when they sprinkled it into the pea soup. I pointed this out to the waitress who quickly but not very sincerely apologised. She came back from the kitchen and told me the chef said it was a crouton. This offends me. I'm veggie, yes, but I know the difference between bread and ham. The croutons had all disintegrated anyway. There was no follow up from the manager and I was still charged even though I didn't finish it.
We will not go back as there are plenty of better places in the area.
You do not deal with customer service issues by telling the customer she made a mistake.

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I had the special of cod loin with broad beans and chorizo and new potatoes. It was delicious although it was enough for 2. Dad had chicken milano which he enjoyed too. All in all a good value night out with friendly service.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

A good light lunch at a very reasonable cost - I had the scallops which were cooked to perfection - couldn't fault them and it was a starter really, but was perfect for my small appetite. Service was good too so would recommend a visit.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Had a great meal here and likes everything. It has a nice feel to it and the desserts are to die for. Thank you for thw good care will come back for sure.

1  Thank AmsterdamLisette