“Appaling food- how can you get bread and oilve oil wrong!” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Griffin
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Bowdon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“Appaling food- how can you get bread and oilve oil wrong!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I have had several meals here in the past few months, the standard has ranged from decidedly mediocre to poor. Today, whilst I sat having a soft drink, I decided to chance the menu and have some bread and olive oil. 2 pieces of poor quality sliced white bread emerged. Both were part frozen and served with what was either the worst quality olive oil available, or rape seed oil.
I returned the bread to the waitress who apologised and promised to return with unfrozen bread. The second offering was 2 slices of bread, both fresh from a toaster or warming oven but thoroughly stale. A refund was demanded and promptly given.

This pub has let it's food standards drop to an embarrassingly low standard. I will not be choosing anything off the menu again. This leaves the place as a mediocre pub, with very little offer beyond its local competitors.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

After receiving an email advertising a new menu we decided we would visit. The service we received yesterday was fantastic. With every table full, it seemed a very busy day for them all but not once did we feel neglected. The food was outstanding and very flavoursome. I had the duck and sweet chilli noodles. It was cooked to perfection. My boyfriend had the Sunday rib of beef which he said just melted in his mouth. Overall I can not fault any part of our visit and will definitely be going back. Well done The Griffin you've really excelled yourself.

• Visited March 2014
Malton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

My family and I have frequented this pub for 10 years or more but as we moved from the area a while ago haven't been so often. We decided to go for lunch today for old times.
Decor was lovely, it was always smart but has had a decor refresh. The staff welcome was friendly and attentive.
Personally I found the menu unexciting. As a vegetarian the choices were limited. Almost everything had Stilton as an ingredient although to be fair there was egg mayonnaise sandwiches on offer. Not very mouthwatering. I opted for the soup of the day which again was Stilton and celery. My sister ordered the same. The waitress returned to say there was only one portion of Stilton soup but they also had pea and ham. My sister agreed to the pea soup.
The soup was tasty and the Stilton not too overpowering. It wasn't that hot and the butter for the fresh bread was rock hard and unspreadable. Unfortunately in my soup was a piece of ham which put me off finishing it. I guess it accidentally fell in when they sprinkled it into the pea soup. I pointed this out to the waitress who quickly but not very sincerely apologised. She came back from the kitchen and told me the chef said it was a crouton. This offends me. I'm veggie, yes, but I know the difference between bread and ham. The croutons had all disintegrated anyway. There was no follow up from the manager and I was still charged even though I didn't finish it.
We will not go back as there are plenty of better places in the area.
You do not deal with customer service issues by telling the customer she made a mistake.

Visited February 2014
cheshire
“Huge portions of delicious food in a friendly pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I had the special of cod loin with broad beans and chorizo and new potatoes. It was delicious although it was enough for 2. Dad had chicken milano which he enjoyed too. All in all a good value night out with friendly service.

Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Good Value Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

A good light lunch at a very reasonable cost - I had the scallops which were cooked to perfection - couldn't fault them and it was a starter really, but was perfect for my small appetite. Service was good too so would recommend a visit.

Visited January 2014