“A lovely surprise!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“A lovely surprise!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

If you think this is just your standard, run of the mill Chef & Brewer then you'd be sadly mistaken. The Griffin is set a beautiful setting but most importantly serves some of the nicest pub food I've ever tasted!

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a meal at this pub/ restaurant on our way to stay at the premier Inn before our flight to Spain. I made a call to the restaurant to check if I could use my gourmet card in the afternoon, we arrived it was busy with lots of atmosphere. The food was great good choice on the menu the staff were friendly nothing too much trouble. Also I did not know but I spoke to the manager when I called and he came over and spoke to us and said he took the call. Really enjoyed the evening will go there again if we stay over night before flying, top marks.

1 Thank avrilwiltravel
Manchester, United Kingdom
“last orders”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Sorry, but we have enjoyed lunch at the quiet restaurant here on quite a few occasions... tried early doors in restaurant last evening... horrendous.....very loud chattering classes at bar and full of non diners plus last of the childrens' time.

The food was the worst we have had anywhere in Cheshire or elsewhere for a long time... just because it is " pub grub" does not excuse appalling quality and higher prices.
Final straw was when I met two clients by chance and invited them for quick drink at the table while we waited...staff seemed most put out by this.
Great shame but necessary miss in future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Food lets this excellent pub down”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Booked a table for 4.
When we arrived restaurant was not busy so we had a choice of seating.The restaurant itself is very inviting and the staff equally welcoming.Throughout the evening the service was excellent.
However pity about the food. It's pub grub and in many places that sort of menu can challenge many a top restaurant. Unfortunately not The Griffin. We all ordered starters and mains. My starter was very disappointing drowned in mayonnaise sauce. The other starters were average.
For mains we all ordered a variety of meat dishes. Two steak dishes cooked as we ordered but sides were disappointing. Only one of the remaining two mains scored full marks....the lamb.
All in all food presentation lacks imagination and at best is average.
The evening was pleasant, pub atmosphere was good, restaurant staff get full marks but food lets it all down.

Visited May 2014
London
“Appaling food- how can you get bread and oilve oil wrong!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I have had several meals here in the past few months, the standard has ranged from decidedly mediocre to poor. Today, whilst I sat having a soft drink, I decided to chance the menu and have some bread and olive oil. 2 pieces of poor quality sliced white bread emerged. Both were part frozen and served with what was either the worst quality olive oil available, or rape seed oil.
I returned the bread to the waitress who apologised and promised to return with unfrozen bread. The second offering was 2 slices of bread, both fresh from a toaster or warming oven but thoroughly stale. A refund was demanded and promptly given.

This pub has let it's food standards drop to an embarrassingly low standard. I will not be choosing anything off the menu again. This leaves the place as a mediocre pub, with very little offer beyond its local competitors.