“Anything but relaxing”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Kirby Muxloe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My sister and I stayed two nights at this hotel and it was truly one of the oddest experiences ever. Firstly, it's very easy to find and just far enough away from everything to be somewhat peaceful.

We were given room 58, which like another reviewer, was horribly situated next to the main stairwell and fire door, so we were treated to every thud and bump each guest offered at all hours of the day and night. Second, the bathroom was just so-so. Very plain and not much room for toiletries, and I can't imagine a disabled person trying to get in and out of that tub - it was at least two/three feet off the ground. And of course there was no handrail to hold onto, just the towel warmer which I'm sure they *don't* want you using to brace yourself. And our window was half the size of the room next to ours, which was unfortunate since it was such beautiful weather.

What was extremely odd and annoying were the interruptions we experienced. We checked in around 8:30 p.m. and the next morning at 8 a.m. housekeeping came and asked if we wanted the room cleaned. Extremely jet-lagged, and seeing as we'd been there less than 12 hours we said thank you, no, and went back to sleep. Thirty minutes later at 8:30 a.m. the same two housekeeping ladies knocked again and asked if we needed towels. Why they couldn't ask this during their first inquiry I don't know. Realizing that we'd probably not get any more sleep at this point, we got up. Right after getting out of the shower about an hour later there was yet another knock at the door, this time a young man identified himself as being staff at the hotel and they were "investigating a leak" downstairs, and wanted to know if I'd just taken a shower. Considering I cracked the door slightly to answer, had wet hair and was covering myself with a towel should have probably told him everything he needed to know, but he just said thanks as he was clearly trying to look into the room and past me. Didn't ask to come in and look at the shower, or anything of the sort. At this point I was really annoyed, because in all my years of traveling I have never been bugged by hotel staff in one stay, let alone in one morning. It seemed as if the staff was just being nosey and looking for excuses to see our room. Also, when we checked out two days later I asked the front desk girl if anything came of the leak and she seemed startled and said "oh, well I hadn't heard anything about that, and they would leave a note for me if something was wrong." At that point it was extremely clear it was "bother the American girls as much as possible" week at the Castle Hotel.

That evening we went downstairs for dinner, and it was extremely poor. There were about 7 tables, 5 of which were eating and two were just having drinks. The waitress ignored us for a solid 10 minutes, instead waiting on the three tables around us but not on us. It took forever to get drinks and when she finally came back to take our food order, that took a long time, as well. I ordered wine that tasted old and funky. My sister had a burger with an egg on it she liked, while I had the lasagna and it was disgusting. It was soupy and undercooked, very disappointing and I took two bites. The waitress asked me if I liked it when she took my plate and I told her I didn't, that it was soupy and not good. She just looked at me and said "oh, okay," and walked away. At any other restaurant that would've been removed from my bill, but not at the Chef and Brewer. The one saving grace of dinner was the chocolate torte for dessert. After the tables around us had all left, we waited and waited for our check but she never brought it, so I just went to the bar and had to ASK to pay.

Overall for the amount we paid for this room ($75/night!) I could've gotten a much better experience elsewhere, and wish I would've gone with my initial thought of booking the Billesley Manor Hotel, but instead we wanted to try the pub/inn combination. I wish we hadn't.

Room Tip: NOT room 58.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela B
There are newer reviews for Castle Hotel

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Visited for a quick lunch time snack and ordered the anti pasta to share
Very slow service with hot items ordered by other diners arriving before ours
After complaint server,who seemed rushed off her feet,went to the kitchen to investigate and returned immediately with the meal suggesting it had been sitting waiting for delivery!
Average platter and would have been dissapointed with the value if had not been using a Tesco Voucher
Pub ambiance is OK if not a little cold,needed open fire lit
Over an hour for a quick lunch snack is poor!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear macca1191

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise about the service you received at the Chase Hotel. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Reviewed 18 March 2013

A Pub - Restaurant with rooms, all a little tired and in need of a revamp.
Good points, the evening meal was better than expected and the beers were well kept
Average points , the rooms , shower and general standard of decor was at best Average.
Bad points, Breakfast, the "Chef" ? had not turned up for work when we came down to breakfast ~ 07:30.
When the "Chef" ? finally arrived I order the full English and it arrived very very quickly. The only item which looked appetizing was the fried egg, bacon only cooked on one side, sausage anemic , mushrooms dried out, beans second hand........ I was asked how my breakfast was and mentioned that it was not too good, left it and checked out.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013

My Husband and I have visited The Castle several times for a meal and have always enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. We've recently heard some bad reviews regarding the food but as we'd never experienced any problems, decided to return. We went for a lunchtime meal, mid week and the food and service was better than ever. The staff are always helpful and can't do enough for you. Our waitress Rikki was excellent and we won't hesitate to return. We would certainly recommend the venue as somewhere to go for lunch or an evening meal to our friends and family.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FiestyFruitBat
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Gone are the days when it had a top class chef and awards. It's seen a bit of a revamp in recent year's. It's ok for a meal not very cheap, possibly playing on the fact it's in Kirby muxloe which in fairness isn't that special. But it does have a castle well ruins. Good place for small weddings average overall

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Nath-of-loxley
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the years on business and keep coming back to and is ideal for the business traveler who desires a completely self-contained solution for the occasional short stay. Situated just outside Leicester and only five minutes off the M1, this is ideal for an overnight stay in pleasant semi-rural location. The "Castle" itself (to the rear of the hotel) makes a fine talking point in itself.

The staff are always warm, welcoming and friendly. The bar is usually stocked with a good selection of real ales (usually at least three or four) and the menu is reasonably priced with a good variety of standard dishes (and usually a few specials).

The rooms could be viewed as a little dated; however the bedding is immaculate and comfortable.

I keep coming back. That says it all really.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2013

The food at the castle is very poor it is served luke warm as if warmed up in microwave it feels to me like they are cost cutting.The meat was fatty i had a mixed grill big mistake !The gammon was really small and all fat the chicken was stone cold the steak was fatty i wouldnt mind but it was a saturday tea time and only two couples in there so it was not like they were rushed however the staff seemed pleasant but overall bad experience not to be repeated.Im not one to write reviews but this meal was so bad.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear simon c,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise about the food you have received at the Castle Hotel. I have passed on your comments to our management team and have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

#8 of 40 in Leicester
Hilton Leicester
Hilton Leicester
#11 of 40 in Leicester

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!