“5* hotel rate without the experience”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Kirby Muxloe B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“5* hotel rate without the experience”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband & I booked an overnight stay along with a wedding celebration and some friends. At mid-evening we tried to purchase some crisps/snacks from the bar, to be told that they did not have any & only wasabi peanuts available! They have a wedding in that night, you'd think that you would stock-up for business.

The only rooms available left at the time was the 'executive suite'. After an interesting walk up stairways, we found the room to be on top floor, looking out to the main road, room felt spacious, shower only suite felt un-comfortable & cold but generally clean.Apart from a larger room with a 'sleigh bed' I think it's an overcharge for this. However, come evening and time to sleep, the mattress was so uncomfortable, it had certainly been slept in by a few and you felt every lumps and bumps. I'm not sure when it was last renewed or ever, it certainly caused a neck & shoulder ache for a few days. There's nothing special that warrant an extra £30+! It's more like these rooms had the prices increased due to the wedding party!

Next morning, my husband went downstairs to request for some sachets of coffee and teas and was told that they had none. When we checked out, there were no customer service, question of the stay, only handed a sheet of paper to which stated the amount owed and took payment. The staff swiftly disappeared before you got out of the front door.

It seems that the establishment was under-staffed and they were trying their best to keep things ticking, but when you are charged £85.00 per night stay, you would expect some customer service.

They are charging a 5* hotel rate for a wishful glorified B&B without the breakfast! Sometimes, customer care can change an overall experience.

A very disappointing night stay for an otherwise lovely venue!

Room Tip: Don't expect anything special with an executive room. If you wish for a bath, make sure you ask...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

Keep it simple.
Location good.
Food poor
Service ok.
Rooms old dirty and noisy.
Facilities nil
Overall seen worse but I wouldn't stay
Such a shame as used to because great place where people would travel miles to stay and sample the food.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Nath-of-loxley
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Nath-of-loxley, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback was a concern to hear and I would like to investigate these comments further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer

Travellers are raving about these Kirby Muxloe hotels

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I stayed at the Castle Hotel part of the CHEF & BREWER chain, for I night. I upgraded my room to what they refer too as a “executive suite” nice large room, big TV, a bathroom with a shower and a large bath. Staff were friendly and helpful but (the restaurant was understaffed). No noise from the pub, I had a good nights sleep, the place looks very popular with the locals. The Pub has a large pleasant beer garden backing on to the Castle.

The food was good honest “Pub Grub” but not a great selection if you’re vegetarian on the menu.
It’s not the type of place I would usually book and stay at, but I would stay again. The location is great with close links to the motorway.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear MrPeasePudding,

Thank you for taking the time to provde your review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, the feedback regarding menu items and understaffing within the pub have been passed to our support teams so they are taken on board.

Regards
Good Night Inns
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is a fairly basic place with a view of a ruined castle in the grounds. We were their for a golden wedding anniversary function. Overall check in and management staff were very friendly. The function itself was understaffed and poor Zack tried his best to cope with serving drinks, clearing up and arranging food.
This is not a great place to choose to eat - very average breakfasts but at £7.95 you are not expecting much. I would use this as a cheap place to stay and look up other pub or restaurant dining experiences in the countryside or in the city itself.

Room Tip: Ground floor annexe - avoiding banging doors.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My sister and I stayed two nights at this hotel and it was truly one of the oddest experiences ever. Firstly, it's very easy to find and just far enough away from everything to be somewhat peaceful.

We were given room 58, which like another reviewer, was horribly situated next to the main stairwell and fire door, so we were treated to every thud and bump each guest offered at all hours of the day and night. Second, the bathroom was just so-so. Very plain and not much room for toiletries, and I can't imagine a disabled person trying to get in and out of that tub - it was at least two/three feet off the ground. And of course there was no handrail to hold onto, just the towel warmer which I'm sure they *don't* want you using to brace yourself. And our window was half the size of the room next to ours, which was unfortunate since it was such beautiful weather.

What was extremely odd and annoying were the interruptions we experienced. We checked in around 8:30 p.m. and the next morning at 8 a.m. housekeeping came and asked if we wanted the room cleaned. Extremely jet-lagged, and seeing as we'd been there less than 12 hours we said thank you, no, and went back to sleep. Thirty minutes later at 8:30 a.m. the same two housekeeping ladies knocked again and asked if we needed towels. Why they couldn't ask this during their first inquiry I don't know. Realizing that we'd probably not get any more sleep at this point, we got up. Right after getting out of the shower about an hour later there was yet another knock at the door, this time a young man identified himself as being staff at the hotel and they were "investigating a leak" downstairs, and wanted to know if I'd just taken a shower. Considering I cracked the door slightly to answer, had wet hair and was covering myself with a towel should have probably told him everything he needed to know, but he just said thanks as he was clearly trying to look into the room and past me. Didn't ask to come in and look at the shower, or anything of the sort. At this point I was really annoyed, because in all my years of traveling I have never been bugged by hotel staff in one stay, let alone in one morning. It seemed as if the staff was just being nosey and looking for excuses to see our room. Also, when we checked out two days later I asked the front desk girl if anything came of the leak and she seemed startled and said "oh, well I hadn't heard anything about that, and they would leave a note for me if something was wrong." At that point it was extremely clear it was "bother the American girls as much as possible" week at the Castle Hotel.

That evening we went downstairs for dinner, and it was extremely poor. There were about 7 tables, 5 of which were eating and two were just having drinks. The waitress ignored us for a solid 10 minutes, instead waiting on the three tables around us but not on us. It took forever to get drinks and when she finally came back to take our food order, that took a long time, as well. I ordered wine that tasted old and funky. My sister had a burger with an egg on it she liked, while I had the lasagna and it was disgusting. It was soupy and undercooked, very disappointing and I took two bites. The waitress asked me if I liked it when she took my plate and I told her I didn't, that it was soupy and not good. She just looked at me and said "oh, okay," and walked away. At any other restaurant that would've been removed from my bill, but not at the Chef and Brewer. The one saving grace of dinner was the chocolate torte for dessert. After the tables around us had all left, we waited and waited for our check but she never brought it, so I just went to the bar and had to ASK to pay.

Overall for the amount we paid for this room ($75/night!) I could've gotten a much better experience elsewhere, and wish I would've gone with my initial thought of booking the Billesley Manor Hotel, but instead we wanted to try the pub/inn combination. I wish we hadn't.

Room Tip: NOT room 58.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Angela B
Nottingham
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Visited for a quick lunch time snack and ordered the anti pasta to share
Very slow service with hot items ordered by other diners arriving before ours
After complaint server,who seemed rushed off her feet,went to the kitchen to investigate and returned immediately with the meal suggesting it had been sitting waiting for delivery!
Average platter and would have been dissapointed with the value if had not been using a Tesco Voucher
Pub ambiance is OK if not a little cold,needed open fire lit
Over an hour for a quick lunch snack is poor!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear macca1191

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise about the service you received at the Chase Hotel. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

A Pub - Restaurant with rooms, all a little tired and in need of a revamp.
Good points, the evening meal was better than expected and the beers were well kept
Average points , the rooms , shower and general standard of decor was at best Average.
Bad points, Breakfast, the "Chef" ? had not turned up for work when we came down to breakfast ~ 07:30.
When the "Chef" ? finally arrived I order the full English and it arrived very very quickly. The only item which looked appetizing was the fried egg, bacon only cooked on one side, sausage anemic , mushrooms dried out, beans second hand........ I was asked how my breakfast was and mentioned that it was not too good, left it and checked out.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
#10 of 40 in Leicester
College Court Hotel
College Court Hotel
#8 of 40 in Leicester

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!