“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 2 Kirby Muxloe B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed at the hotel on Saturday night for a birthday celebration. On arrival, we asked if it was possible to change our twin booking for a double. "No problem" said the receptionist. No reference to the fact that she moved us to a room on the first floor of the annex which was infested with guests of a wedding reception being held in the function room.

Room was small and quite basic. Bathroom clean-ish. A bit black around the shower corners!

Early evening was punctuated by families knocking on all doors (including ours) to discover who was staying in which rooms. What fun!

The meal was fine, usual Chef and Brewer standard. Service a little slow but we weren't in a hurry. Table booked for 7:30, asked for the bill at about 10:30.

Went to bed early, anticipating some sleep deprivation as the reception was in full swing. 1-ish came the families with kids. Not too bad. Later, we were awakened and kept awake by a room party on the ground floor with music, shouting and laughing accompanied by a strong smell of cigarette smoke. Tried to call reception to complain...no answer. Tried to call the offending room...didn't connect. It wasn't until I went down in person and asked for some quiet that they stopped...3:15am

Didn't bother with breakfast as we couldn't get out quick enough.

We have stayed at the Castle before and had a good experience. Tip of the day, check if there is anything on in the function room before booking.

Room Tip: Check if there is anything on in the function room before booking.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I was on a 4 day training course and booked a reasonably priced nearby hotel. After booking I read some not so good reviews!
On arrival I thought the placed looked very nice, & I walked through the pub which was very pleasant with a good atmosphere, and checked in. My room was clean and comfortable and had everything I required. After reading some reviews about the food, I toyed with the idea about driving for a takeaway! But decided to eat at the bar, the prices were very reasonable and the food ordered was not only presented beautifully but tasted the same.
I ate there every night and the same could be said, the burger I ate one night... I actually took a picture of, for £9.99 it seemed a shame to eat it!

The beds were extremely comfy.

All the staff were helpful and friendly and I had a lovely stay. I couldn't fault and if was in this area again I would try to get in here 1st.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Visited The Castle with relatives to have an evening meal. First impressions count of course and it must be said there was a plus sign for everyone to see. Not only are the premises very comfortable but the staff are very friendly courteous and helpful.
The menu was extensive in terms of choice and more than reasonable in price. The ladies in our party chose to have a bottle of wine rather than individual drinks as this was by far the cheapest way. Our driver naturally chose a soft drink but as usual experienced nothing more than gas and an extortionate bill!
We chose different meals and these were served without any delay. Our waitress was extremely pleasant ensuring everything was made available to us. Nothing was too much trouble to her. All the meals were more than acceptable----BUT---could we eat them in comfort? No I'm afraid.
Although we were all seated in the central area of the Restaurant regrettably we constantly had to experience the nauseating smell of cigarette smoke coming from people who stood smoking in the doorway leading to the restaurant. Oh dear! What a big let down.
Management must surely know there has to be a designated area for "the smokers" That space is certainly not in the doorway of this very pleasant Hotel. What a pity the good work undertaken by the staff is overshadowed by those who force the consequences of their actions on others.

Room Tip: In case of doubt the sleep quality marking above is erroneous. The mark was recorded incorrectly and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed one night for a recent celebration.In terms of location and outside appearance it could be so good. Pub area was nice with decent range of beers and wines. Receptionist/Manager was friendly and helpful. However room was quite cramped and fairly basic for price. Breakfast was extra and wouldnt recommend at over £7.00 - not poor but nothing special fro price and would expect option of cereals to go with cooked breakfast for that - not one or other. Overall other chains give better value for money. It was ok but wouldn't stay there again unless had to for convenience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Dear Rob B,

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Castle Hotel who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board.

We do hope to see you soon at a Castle Hotel soon.

Kind regards,

Chef & Brewer
Nottingham
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband & I booked an overnight stay along with a wedding celebration and some friends. At mid-evening we tried to purchase some crisps/snacks from the bar, to be told that they did not have any & only wasabi peanuts available! They have a wedding in that night, you'd think that you would stock-up for business.

The only rooms available left at the time was the 'executive suite'. After an interesting walk up stairways, we found the room to be on top floor, looking out to the main road, room felt spacious, shower only suite felt un-comfortable & cold but generally clean.Apart from a larger room with a 'sleigh bed' I think it's an overcharge for this. However, come evening and time to sleep, the mattress was so uncomfortable, it had certainly been slept in by a few and you felt every lumps and bumps. I'm not sure when it was last renewed or ever, it certainly caused a neck & shoulder ache for a few days. There's nothing special that warrant an extra £30+! It's more like these rooms had the prices increased due to the wedding party!

Next morning, my husband went downstairs to request for some sachets of coffee and teas and was told that they had none. When we checked out, there were no customer service, question of the stay, only handed a sheet of paper to which stated the amount owed and took payment. The staff swiftly disappeared before you got out of the front door.

It seems that the establishment was under-staffed and they were trying their best to keep things ticking, but when you are charged £85.00 per night stay, you would expect some customer service.

They are charging a 5* hotel rate for a wishful glorified B&B without the breakfast! Sometimes, customer care can change an overall experience.

A very disappointing night stay for an otherwise lovely venue!

Room Tip: Don't expect anything special with an executive room. If you wish for a bath, make sure you ask...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle H

Travellers are raving about these Kirby Muxloe hotels

Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

Keep it simple.
Location good.
Food poor
Service ok.
Rooms old dirty and noisy.
Facilities nil
Overall seen worse but I wouldn't stay
Such a shame as used to because great place where people would travel miles to stay and sample the food.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Nath-of-loxley
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Nath-of-loxley, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback was a concern to hear and I would like to investigate these comments further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I stayed at the Castle Hotel part of the CHEF & BREWER chain, for I night. I upgraded my room to what they refer too as a “executive suite” nice large room, big TV, a bathroom with a shower and a large bath. Staff were friendly and helpful but (the restaurant was understaffed). No noise from the pub, I had a good nights sleep, the place looks very popular with the locals. The Pub has a large pleasant beer garden backing on to the Castle.

The food was good honest “Pub Grub” but not a great selection if you’re vegetarian on the menu.
It’s not the type of place I would usually book and stay at, but I would stay again. The location is great with close links to the motorway.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear MrPeasePudding,

Thank you for taking the time to provde your review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, the feedback regarding menu items and understaffing within the pub have been passed to our support teams so they are taken on board.

Regards
Hotel Maiyango
Hotel Maiyango
#15 of 40 in Leicester
Premier Inn Leicester (Forest East) Hotel

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!