“Quaint and Comfortable”

Ranked #2 of 2 Kirby Muxloe B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Quaint and Comfortable”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I recently stayed here overnight for work purposes and found it to be quaint and comfortable and in a lovely little setting. Checking in was a pleasure, very welcoming and pleasant, and started me off with a good impression. I see reviews here informing that the rooms are too small, and I don't wish to disagree with other people's opinion, however, I found the room (44) perfect, and again, very comfortable. It was clean, a nice comfy bed and a spotlessly clean bathroom. There was ample amount space for myself, and I was able to work away on my lap top.

I had a meal in the bar, a nice lasagne, which was absolutely fine. Not spectacular, but then, I wasn't in a high end restaurant, it was nice.

The staff here are very nice indeed. Well mannered and very cheery and pleasant. Breakfast again, was fine. Plenty of selection so you can't really go wrong. Just one small point I would state is, there is no decaff coffee at breakfast. I'm not really one for the caffeine and do like a decaff coffee in the mornings with my toast. However, there is decaff in the hotel room, so I was able to get one there after breakfast.

All in all, I would recommend the Castle Hotel, terrific value and very pleasant staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Cottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights with another couple. The rooms were tiny but quite well equipped. The bed was way too soft for me personally. Bar staff were generally very nice but restaurant staff could not have been more helpful accommodating our special requests. Overall our stay was good value for money in a central location

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Booked 1 night here as we had a "do" at the golf club and this was cheaper than a return taxi. Can't recall exact price but it was in the region of £50-60.

Arrived in the evening, checked in quickly and settled in room 49 (had read the reviews about room 48!) whilst the room was basic it was clean and we had enough towels.

We decided to have quick bite before going out - food was OK but unfortunately the open fire started to smoke quite badly which made the atmosphere a bit difficult. Several members of staff tried to sort it out but it did take a while.

The barstaff ordered us a taxi and chased it up for us when it didn't arrive as planned. Overall I'd say all the staff we dealt with were very nice if a little busy (it was a Saturday night)

The bed was a bit too soft for both of us but other than that I didn't have any issues with the rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We wanted to break up a long journey to see family and decided to book somewhere outside the usual Premier Inn / Travelodge suspects. Just off the M1, the Castle seemed a good choice. We had a nice sized room and the manager checked us in quickly and efficiently.
We then came downstairs to the pub for some dinner, which was really good and a couple of drinks helped to relax after a long day. Our room was too hot in the night and the bed was not the most comfortable, but for the amount we paid it was more than acceptable. The only gripe would be the noise from an aircon unit positioned just outside the window. This would have been more of a problem later in the year when you'd want a window open.
All in all, this was a good stay and just what we were looking for. A solid four stars.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I'm in my room now and we have 1 towel between the two of us plus the last few square of a toilet roll and no spare. Would not recommend. Plus young lad behind the bar who obviously has never done a customer care course.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Jane F

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Castle Hotel in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Travellers are raving about these Kirby Muxloe hotels

leicestershire
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Well been coming here for many many years..... even had our civil wedding ceremony money here and all guest's stayed overnight...new staff new management. ....big big step backwards..came for a meal as per our normal requirements...
Sat at our table after orders had been taken and waited and waited after waiting 40 minutes I enquired where our starters were to be told they had not taken or lost them. ..waited yet again for an hour
In total ....then my wife and i decided enough was enough and left.... the bar staff was very apologetic and gave us a complimentary bottle of wine. . But 2 hour wait for starter is diabolical. ...we have been eating here for 12 years as never ever been so let down...

• Stayed February 2014
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Please forgive the title thought I would bring a little fun to my review.

We were a group of four who have an average age of 63 years.

We came to the castle on valentines night and had the valentines day menu.

The food was excellent, chicken slightly over cooked for our liking but not enough to deter us from giving the whole experience an excellent.

The location of the seating reserved for us was not to our liking but this was put right immediately when we were offered a different table in a cosey corner.

The waiting staff were excellent and we were made to feel valued customers.

The special menu hit the spot, lovely choices, nicely cooked and well presents. It was also hot which was also important to us.

The only little observation was the lack of any atomospheric music in the back ground. It would have been a lovely touch if music was played for young and old lovers alike sees as it was valentines day.

Excellent value for money and an excellent start to our holidays - we all went to Scarborough for a week and came back today.

A big thank you and well done to the whole staff team.

Regards

From the man in the red waist coat and red bowler hat.

Ps. I do need to say that I work for the 'Spirit Pub Group' that owns this facility. Whilst this is the case I do not do biase if the food, service etc was not up to scratch I would have said.

• Stayed February 2014