“A Nice Place to Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilworth
Devon, UK
“A Nice Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

We have just returned from a great two night stay at the Chilworth Manor. We have stayed before and also had our wedding at the hotel in May 2009.

This time we booked via the Best Western website as a weekend away and got a good DBB rate in a Superior room, which was located in the manor building and was lovely. This is the first time I have stayed in one of these rooms and I would look to do so again, Note that there is no lift to this area, but porter service was offered.

The dinner on both evenings was lovely, with good service. Buffet breakfast was as you would typically expect for a UK hotel. There was a wedding on one night but we were advised at reception and it did not interfere with our stay. There was some music late but this finished at midnight and was not an issue.

The front drive is lovely and worth a walk and explore, I do agree with the previous comments and feel some flowers on the rear terrace outside of the conservation area would add to the appeal. We did not use the leisure facilities but they looked impressive.

If the hotel could make one change I would like to see a bar/lounge created that overlooks the front or rear gardens as sitting in the hall does not always suit and it seems a shame not to be able to see outside from in, but this would be in a perfect world.

The Best Western logo does get in your face a bit much, but to be expected and it was the first time we had been since the BW tie up.

Overall a good hotel, that provides good value and service.

Room Tip: Superior Room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

Just returned from a one night stay at Chilworth and must say we have a very nice time, well done, the teenagers thought it was a little unfair that they could only go swimming between 11 and 1pm and that the girls could not have a massage and get their nails done but the rules are the rules I guess.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
southamptonmanor, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Hi Reviewer,

Great to hear you had such a great time with us, I will be sure to pass on your thanks to the team.

With regards to the massage we work very closely with Comfort Zone, the brand we have chosen to partner with in the Spa and they have very strict guidelines on the ages of Spa guests and who they will allow there products to be used on. We have to support the Comfort Zone brand in this area. I'm glad it did not affect your overall enjoyment of Chilworth Manor.

Many thanks

Doncaster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

Found this hotel through 'Last minute.com' while I was looking for a hotel in Southampton where we could have a few days (Easter) holiday close to the New Forest before we picked up our daughter who had been entertaining on a Saga World Cruise for the past 6 months.
It was very reasonably priced and we didn't expect very much for the money we paid but what a setting.
The hotel used to be a Victorian Manor house and had had annexes built o to it as hotel rooms. The room we stayed in was in the newly built annex and was as you would expect any room at any modern hotel to be like; quite clean, wallpaper a bit tatty, very functional. The grounds were something else. They were fabulous if a little unkept (I suppose they had dedicated gardeners when the manor was built and Best Western do not seem to see the gardens as a priority - pity we spent a lovely morning exploring the gardens before continuing to the New Forest).
The inside of the Manor House was lovely but the old hall would look better with a less intrusive bar.
We made good use of the separate fitness club and spa (included in the price) and facilities here were good.
Food was quite expensive and my wife had two evening meals that she didn't enjoy, although I enjoyed mine, so we spent the third evening eating at 'The Chilworth Arms' which was in walking distance (wish we had taken a torch for the walk back though). The meal was excellent but again quite expensive.
Altogether an enjoyable three days!

Room Tip: I don't think we saw the best room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
southamptonmanor, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor, responded to this review, 20 May 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your thorough review, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the overall experience of Chilworth Manor.

Your feedback was great and I'm sure we can use some of your feedback to even further enhance our excellent reputation.

With regards our grounds, we only maintain certain area's as the others lead onto Chilworth Conservation land which we are not responsible for. I like to say you can tell which bit of land is ours as the grass is cut!

Hopefully you did enjoy the Conservation Area, as there are some very rare plants/flowers in there - details of which are available at the reception desk.

Once again thank you for you review.

Sincerely

Alsager, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

Well on entering the grounds via the approach road it looked fantastic the grouds and the hotel looked very inviting. I was told at the reception that as I was a diamond best western member I had been upgraded from a single room to a twin bedded room all seemed good and indeed the building so far looked really clean and nice. I went off to room 110 and was really disappointed now this hotel according to best western has a 4 star hotel rating but how if compared to this room it received it is anyones guess and this was an upgrade from a single room

Bathroom was tiny and not in a very good condition, the room itself very dated and to make thinks worse I was there for 3 nights and the carpet was never cleaned how do i know that well there was a little fluff from my socks on the carpet and on my last day of 3 it was still there.

little things like that in a four star hotel should never be allowed

They have so called reported high speed internet but on the first day I could not connect as it kept reporting back too many users which meant I could not VPN onto my companies site which meant the 3 hours work I had on the monday night I could not achieve, I called the hotels internet extn number but no answer.
I did discuss this next day and they gave me a new login id which seemed to work but I was expecting service from day one.

So would I recommend this hotel to my friends A big no to my work mates then yes as its central to the industrial sites and to be fair the bar area and bar food is really nice, the staff anr lovely and helpful. But my friends would be disappointed by the rooms if mine was anything to go by.

Also look out for the mushrooms at breakfast they are clealy cooked without being cleaned as they still have a lot of the black growing peat on them which you have to scrape off. I did mention that to the breakfast manager but realised she did not really care

All in all would I stay there again no I don't think so and 4 star no bedroom 110 would be hard pushed to reach a 2 star level check out my photos including the threadbare chair in the bedroom and tiny not a place to stay in long bathroom

Room Tip: good for a drink and bar food and the lovely grown
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 20yearson
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you agree with me that our grounds really are fantastic and our staff are helpful and just lovely people.

Just to clarify one point we are a 3 star Hotel, the best rated 3 star in the Southampton area, which is something we are very proud of. Also I have checked the Best Western website and we are classed as a 3 star property, so I’m not sure where the confusion over our star rating has come from.

Thank you for your feedback on our guest bedrooms, the bathrooms aren’t large in the Garden Wing however they are very functional and offer our guests all the facilities they may require.

We have decorated a substanstial amount of our bedrooms over the past four months and we continue to decorate bedrooms at the rate of one a week with our on site team and local tradesmen. We are on course to have all 95 bedrooms decorated by the end of this year.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Yours sincerely

Glossop, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

Stayed here as part of a package from nearby Peppa Pig World. Chose the hotel due to its advertised facilities and nice setting.

Arrived at the hotel to find out that Kids are only allowed to use the pool facilities between 11am and 14.30 during weekends and bank holidays. Right in the middle of the day when we would be at Peppa Pig World, no of no use to us at all!

Looked at the hotel menu, and no sign of a kids menu. Ended up heading to TGI's in Southampton.

The hotel itself is nice enough, and if it was just me and my wife, or just myself would be very pleased with it. But given that this is part of a package deal with a kids theme park, it seems a strange choice of partner hotel when is so obviously doesn't cater for kids!

For what we used, we would have been better staying at a Travelodge, and saving a few quid!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark.L.Johnson
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

Our group ( 40 in total ) collectively and individually received superb service during our stay. The food was excellent, the bedrooms comfortable ant the staff were efficient and friendly.
The hotel and grounds were beautiful. Congrats to the gardeners and maintenance staff.
The health club, pool etc were both clean and well equipped, once again the staff were helpful and friendly.
Hopefully we will stay with you again next year.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
southamptonmanor, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Hi N.O.A Liverpool!

Thanks for a great review, our staff loved lucking after you all and remember your short stay with us fondly.

I’m so pleased that you all had such a great time with us.

I’ll pass on your best to Gary who heads up our team of Gardeners they love getting positive feedback for there efforts.

Please visit again soon.

Kind regards

welovetotravel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

We had a suite which has lovely views out to the grounds. We really enjoyed being able to use the pool. The bar area is beautiful and the restaurant very busy which created a good atmosphere. The menu was excellent and the restaurant service very good. We would go back to Chilworth Manor.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you fo ryour kind comments, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and you appreciated the great work our Kitchen Brigade do and the lovely atmosphere in our newly refurbished bar and restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Yours sincerely

Stephen Marriott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilworth
Grand Harbour Hotel
Solent Hotel & Spa
Solent Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Whiteley
Holiday Inn Southampton - Eastleigh M3,jct13

Been to BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor? Share your experiences!