“Temporary Accommodation”

Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilworth
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I went there as a temporary accommodation before being able to find an apartment in Southampton, and I really enjoyed my stay!
The hotel itself is a very charming Edwardian Manor nicely decorated and with professional and helpful staff. The room was a double bedroom which was quite big, with a very nice bathroom, and a large desk convenient to put several laptops and professional documents.
The breakfast is a big buffet which is quite good and with a lot of choice, and I appreciated a lot the Club (swimming pool, gym and SPA) located nearby, accessible freely to all the residents, and which is opened later during the weekdays.
Even though the hotel is located in a nice and quiet area, I would say that it is its only default... If you don't have a car (the huge car park is also very convenient), then the taxi will be your best friend during the weekend!
Except for that point, I would definitively recommend this hotel, especially as I had reduced prices because of my long business stay!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room during the weekend, try to avoid the ground/first floor of the east aisle...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear TheoFR,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us, which I have shared with the rest of the team.

I was delighted to learn that you had found enjoyed your extended time with us whilst you waited to move into your new home. Along with our unique setting, great facilities I was really pleased that the team were professional and helpful throughout your stay. The team are a credit to the Hotel and for me they are what makes us stand out from the rest.

Now that you are a Southampton resident I do hope you will visit the Hotel and enjoy meals, drinks and perhaps a day at the spa in the future.

Thank you once again for your review of the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor.

BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,460)

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I went to the chub on a spa day through travelzoo and I had a great relaxing day. I arrived at 9.30 in the morning, very easy to park, and received a friendly welcome at reception. I was shown to a table and asked to fill in a few forms, select my light lunch and pick up my towel and robe. The choices for lunch were OK but nothing special however you could pay extra for an upgrade lunch. The receptionist then took me for a quick tour.
I used the gym initially, then changed and used the whirl pool and steam room together with the pool. Everywhere was quiet and calm with places to chill at the side of the pool. The changing room were very clean and had plenty of lockers.
I then returned to the comfort zone area, by reception, where there was unlimited refreshments, and an assortment of seating areas.I sat here for about 1 hour chatting, cutting out paper patterns and drinking coffee. I had booked my lunch for 12.15 and it arrived on time. My freshly made Club wrap was very tasty and was accompanied by a side salad.
My treatment, an aromatherapy wrap and facial, was absolutely wonderful, very calm and relaxing, had a nap as well! The treatment lasted for about 70 mins, thank you. After returning to the reception area again, I chilled for about 30 mins, handed my robe and towel back in, chatted to the receptionist for a while and then left.
This offer is an incredible deal and was so popular that they had to extend the deadline date. I will definitely return on the next offer as it is a great day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear pinguFareham,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent spa day retreat with us, which I have shared with the rest of the team

I was delighted to read that you so obviously enjoyed your day with us so much and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

If you need to be away from home this is the place to stop. The location, setting and look of the hotel in the brochures do not disappoint. The rooms are very comfortable and and the staff are very helpful. The restaurant is A1 with a great selection of food. The facility has a gym and pool, not too busy and no kids.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Neil B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent business stay with us.

I was delighted to learn that we were a home away from home for you and the team were friendly and helpful throughout your stay. Thank you also for your kind remarks regarding our bedrooms and restaurant cuisine.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor, we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We spent one night here DBB with 12 nights car parking and taxis to and from the cruise terminal. For this reason, the price of £209 was a good one. The grounds are beautiful and the fitness centre excellent, but really that's where the good bits end. The hotel is very tired looking and looks as though it needs a deep clean. Our room was massive at about 8 square yards, but I'd have settled for a smaller, more pleasant room. Dinner was OK, but I didn't like the thought of paying £1 for a bread roll and extra for just about everything. Breakfast was like a motorway services with drinks from a machine and toast your own bread, which is less than ideal if you're not very mobile. Additionally, some of the staff looked as though they'd slept in their uniforms. That said, other staff were very smart, pleasant and helpful. Overall, even though the value of the package was good, I wouldn't return.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jan H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I appreciate your kind comments regarding our setting, health club and friendly and smart team.

Our breakfast offer a wide range of choice and having the toaster available allows us to offer a selection of breads rather than the standard ‘white or wholemeal’ allot of Hotels offer. With the addition of our coffee machine guests can now enjoy a choice of beverages including; cappuccino, latte’s, espresso, hot chocolate as well as standard coffee and tea selection. All of our breakfast items can be served to you at the table as our menu explains.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Despite booking months in advance we were allocated a room overlooking the staff canteen and maintenance yard. I was feeling unwell during my stay so did not have energy to pursue room change. The bathroom was good but the room décor was a mish mash of dated patterns. The table lamp was a cheap one available from Argos ( I bought an exact copy for my student son's Uni room ). the hairdryer was a relic from the 90s..inefficient, difficult to use and discoloured. Our welcome at reception was very impersonal - they appear to work to a script. Despite booking on a room only basis we were offered no information about the restaurant. this stay only reinforced my decision to stick to independent hotels and B & Bs or Premier Inn for budget trips in future. I completed an online comment feedback form with both negative and positive comments but received no response.Makes me think they don't care?

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the maintenance yard!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear tango567,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor, I was obviously disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry that the room you were allocated did not benefit from a view over the front or rear lawns, unfortunately not all of our bedrooms have such views.

As a member of BEST WESTERN we are an independently owned and operated Hotel, like all their member Hotels.

I personally respond to the feedback sent to the Hotel, whether that be email, post or on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate all feedback we are offered and encourage guests to do so. I have not received any feedback similar to yours through our online feedback centre bwfeedback. com. If I had I would certainly of replied, I am sorry if you felt your comments were being ignored.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We arrived on Saturday afternoon. After checking in, a relatively simple process, we noticed a sign saying there was a wedding and a disco would be in progress until 12 midnight; not a problem we thought, we will probably have a room away from the celebrations....wrong, our room was only four room up from the wedding party. Because it was a Saturday, all other rooms were full and a move to a quiter room was not possible. Well, we'll make the most we thought. The room was clean, but was designed for disabled guests, so trying to use the bathroom sink was difficult as it was so low. Also, next to the bed was a pull codr for emergencies, I was so worried I would pull this by accident during the night. There were multiple grab rails in the bath, that made bathing quite uncomfortable. We had decided to eat in the Hotel Restaurant as we had been travelling all day and were tired. The menu was very elaborate and lacked simple food. I enquired if I could have an omlette, but was told no. The man taking our order then tried to persuade me to have various dishes, but I just wanted simple food. I chose a plain burger, but even this had a funny taste. Even the peas were not simple, they came with bacon!!! I then asked for plain vanilla ice-cream - surprise, this was not available as 'the chef likes to experiment'. I went without. Sleep was not possible until well after midnight as we could not only hear the disco, but the voices of guests who were in the garden outside our window. (The free fireworks were lovely though!!!!) Breakfast was the next instalment of this saga. The coffee machine produced two mugs of hot water with milk powder....the machine had broken. The (?) restaurant manager spent the next fifteen minutes trying, with no avail, to fix it. I asked for some coffe, perhaps a pot? He sent a waitress to get 'a pot of strong coffee' and then gave me the now cold cups of hot water and milk, to have a drink; cold coffee. At this stage, the people on the next table asked for a microwave to warm up their food from the buffet as it was cold. The manager then proceeded to stick his fingers in various offerings on the buffet to check the temperature; my appetite had by now disappeared!! All this for £15 per head for breakfast. We did query the cost of breakfast and it was removed from our bill. All together, our stay was very disappointing. The building was beautiful, if tired, and the grounds are lovely. Won't be going back in a hurry though.

Room Tip: Away from any room where weddings are being held!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda50170

Dear Linda50170,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor.

I am sorry you felt our menu was over elaborate for you, our Head Chef and his team are regularly complemented for the simplicity and quality of the food. We offer a range of dishes to suit most palates; Steaks, Burgers, Pastas and Salads are all available as well as some more complex dishes.

Due to the technical issue with our coffee machine the morning of your departure breakfast did not run as smoothly as it normally does and I am pleased your bill was altered to reflect that. The coffee machine was up and running within 10/15 minutes. Our buffet unit has two heat sources to try and maintain a high temperature. Our Restaurant Manager did touch the side of the display dishes to check the temperature of them but did not touch any food items. There is a temperature gage available to check the temperature of the buffet food.

Thank you once again for your comments. I hope I will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We booked the Chilworth's park and cruise package with dinner bed and breakfast parking and taxi's to and from the port after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor and what a great choice it turned out to be. Check in was smooth and very slick conducted by a very pleasant and helpful receptionist. The room was huge well furnished and very clean with a lovely bathroom. Despite there being a wedding the hotel never seemed overcrowded and was very quiet throughout the night. Dinner at night in the dining room was chosen from the a la carte menu with no real restrictions on what we could have. The food was well prepared, beautifully presented and served by very friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast the next morning was buffet style with a large selection of hot and cold food. Restaurant was busy but staff remained helpful, friendly and efficient at all times. The taxi in the morning arrived on time and took us to the port in good time to board the ship. On our return to the UK a quick telephone call to the taxi company ensured that we were back at the hotel to collect our car with the minimum of delay. I would recommend this hotel and the park and cruise package for all visiting Southampton either on business or cruising.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jags_8

Dear Jag_8,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.

I was thrilled to learn that you had enjoyed your pre cruise package so much. Many thanks for your positive comments, the package is very popular, I hope to welcome you back to the BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor next time you depart from Southampton.

BEST WESTERN Chilworth Manor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilworth
DoubleTree by Hilton Southampton
#1 of 13 in Winchester
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!