“Needs Improvement”

Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilworth
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for one night and it was my first visit since Best Western took over.

My room was very nice (309) however there was black mould above the shower on the ceiling which is disgusting, no sence that anyone has tried to clean it off or re-paint it.

The afternoon bar staff disappear and leave people standing at the bar up to 15 minutes waiting to be served, this is also very poor.

The restaurant is very good, the food is excellent although the restaurant Manager need some more training as he really hasn't a clue, it was a bit like Fawlty Towers at times.

Slept very well, bed was very comfy. Breakfast was a joke, tasteless self servcie buffet, the lady taking room numbers must be part of the bar staff as she kept dissappearing as well to leave people to fend for themselves. The overfill restaurant is also a storage area with tabels and chairs stacked up.

Please don't be fooled into thinking the name is everything as with this property under Best Western Chilwroth Manor is a basic 3 star hotel. I will stay again if in the area but exepct it to be very average each time.

Cleaning tip for the hotel - When you have had a wedding check the gardens which as there were empty glasses everywhere and rubbish all over the place. Surely this is basic.

Room Tip: Rooms in the house I believe are better
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Bigbird1334,

Thank you for your recent review, I am thankful for your positive comments relating to our quality cuisine and the large comfy beds we offer.

I note your comments relating to areas of improvement and we will certainly look to improve room 309 immediately. We are currently undergoing an enhancement program of public corridors and bedrooms that will last throughout 2014 and will deliver a superior experience to our guests.

I’d like to mention that Best Western do not own the property, the board of directors has remained the same since 2001 along with the senior management team and many of the key personnel throughout the hotel. As a company we chose to become a part of the Best Western brand in 2010, they have been a huge support with regards marketing the hotel. Although your stay was not to your liking they have help guide and support us with multiple improvements that directly impact our guests; such as free WIFI for all our guests and an excellent Rewards card product.

I hope in your future stays you will benefit from the improvements we are implementing.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I recently stayed at Chilworth Manor for the weekend for my 22nd birthday as a present. I have never complained before but was so disappointed I thought I should. The room was beyond basic and very out dated which wasn't a huge problem, just not what we expected. So, we went to the 'spa' to see what was there, turned out to be just a pool with a couple of rooms off the side. There was no area to relax and then had to wait for the class to finish before we could even get in the pool.
The worst part was actually sleeping, our room was facing one of the venue rooms which happened to have a wedding the first evening. The disco was so loud we were trying to sleep with pillows over our heads. So we rang reception and they said it finished at midnight and there were no other rooms available to move to. It did turn off on the dot of midnight which was good.
We were looking forward to a nice full english breakfast, however the food from the buffet was all cold and the 'fresh' fruit salad had all come out of tins.
We then went to reception to ask if there was another wedding that evening and saw there were actually two more weddings. We thought whats the point of staying in a hotel where we couldn't actually sleep so left a day early and went home.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah W

Dear Hannah W,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent experience of the hotel, I was very sorry to learn your stay was not what you expected and I’d like to offer my most sincere apologies for that.

Unfortunately from your tripadvisor username I am unable to identify you in our system so I can’t investigate this matter further. I’d invite you to contact me on smarriott@chilworth-manor.co.uk so that I can help resolve this matter for you.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We arrived on a friday evening for a 2 night stay, unfortunately having booked a twin room we where advised we had a double, although we are good friends sharing a small double was not our idea of fun. Eventually they agreed to provide ano single room at no extra charge. 10/10 for customer service.
it soon be came apparent that this is a popular wedding venue - 1 in full swing when we arrived, 2 on the saturday and one on the Sunday. My room was right above one of the venues and the noise was loud until midnight when the disco finished.
We used the club on the saturday - sadly the spa was fully booked so book well in advance, the gym and pool where very nice and well equipped.
we got a taxi to West quay £12 each way and to the cricket ground for a concert £15 each way
As previous posted say - it was a little tired and pictures certainly do it justice but good value for money.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Karen A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from you recent 2-night break at the hotel. I am pleased you felt our customer service was 10 out of 10 and the team resolved the issue with your accommodation quickly.

I am pleased to learn you took in what Southampton has to offer with a trip to the fantastic West Quay and to one of the best Arena’s in the South; I trust you enjoyed the concert.

I am sorry you were unable to book treatments in our Spa during your stay, it is very popular with local residents as well as spa breaks and I would always recommend booking in advance.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The grounds are lovely and the building impressive, but this hotel is geared for conferences and weddings. Parking was impossible with all the people attending several conferences and a wedding. The wedding was being held in the Lounge. It was impossible to get to our room without dragging our suitcases through the festivities. The hotel location was also not good for touring. Everything was a long drive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear janetr12831,

Many thanks for your recent review, I was obviously disappointed that we did exceed or indeed meet your expectations.

The hotel has over 250 free car parking spaces plus additional spaces in our health club; unfortunately not all spaces are located in close proximity to the entrance of the hotel.

Although the wedding party briefly gathered in the main lounge whilst they were waiting to be announced to their private event suite I can assure you that we do not host any events in our main lounge. We are regularly asked to do so, however it is the centrepiece of this beautiful Manor and the main meeting area for our residents so it is not practical. I am sorry if seating was limited for a short time, we do offer a private residents lounge during busy periods in the main hall.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Never been to Chilworth until now and would highly recommend the spa they have.

Friendly and obliging staff make you feel immediately comfortable. The spa itself is located a short walk from the hotel which makes it quiet and private... perfect.

I had a facial and back massage, both of which were brilliant and thoroughly enjoyed my facial which was great even for my sensitive skin.

Overall a very relaxing and enjoyable day. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Emily J,

Thank you for your lovely feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed for first ever experience of the spa and you felt your treatments were ‘brilliant’.

Once again thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Visited the Club as part of a birthday group. Steven on reception was friendly and inviting , had set up our robes and towels on a table already before we arrived.

Mel my spa spealist was fantastic, had the most amazing massage and facial with some very lovely products! Never had a nicer facial and I work in beauty!

Unlimited juice , a selection of teas and a great wine list with our lunch. Really can't recommend Chilworth enough!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank MissMae91

Dear MissMae1,

Thank you for such a glowing review, I know Steve and Mel were very pleased you were happy with the service they provided. To receive such rave reviews from somebody with the industry is very flattering for the team.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights end of April, we are Best Western fans, but we were not impressed with this hotel, it is very tired and dated. When we arrived we had difficulty getting through a crowded lounge to our room, because of a wedding taking place. When we came back later the same thing happened. Surely there is another room that could be used for drinks.
We could not believe that it happened all over again the next day, yet another wedding.
We asked for a quiet room to sit and have a snack but we were soon surrounded by people drinking champagne yet another function Black Tie this time, alongside the evening wedding reception.
Obviously Chilworth Manor feels it's more important to cater for weddings and other functions than
look after their Residential Guests.
The breakfasts had loads of choice, but the hot dishes and plates were cold both mornings. Also the dining room was not clean you could write your name in the dust on the window sills.
The Management should take a visit to the Best Western Aberavon Beach hotel and see how they look after their guests. We will certainly not be returning to Chilworth.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear HarveyForestofdean,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

Firstly I’d like to thank you for being a fan of Best Western hotels and secondly to apologies if your stay with us was not to the standard you have come to expect from such a trusted brand.

The hotel is one of the premier wedding venues in the region, which is something we are very proud of. The team is long standing and if a wedding is taking place we have procedures in place to ensure any non-wedding guests stay is not impacted. The wedding guests are only in the main lounge for a very short time while their main suite is re-lay for the evening event. During this time we have a private/quiet lounge set aside for residents and offer table service drinks from the bar.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to make amends during a future stay.

Stephen Marriott

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilworth
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
#19 of 25 in Southampton
Jurys Inn Southampton
Jurys Inn Southampton
#6 of 25 in Southampton

Been to Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!