“Don't be fooled”

Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilworth
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked a two night stay at this hotel because a web page called I know Hampshire stated that it was pet friendly, it's certainly not, although we booked in for our first night stay with our small lap dog with us at reception, we took her out for several walks through the day having to walk through the main part of the hotel, not once did anybody ask what we were doing there with a dog not until the next morning when I was returning to the hotel from a walk with our dog I was asked by the hotel manager what I thought I was doing going up to the bedrooms with a dog, when I explained that I was staying there for a two night break his reply was not with that thing you won't be we don't allow dogs in this hotel, when I tried to explain we had booked it through afore mentioned web site we were told that that not possible we don't allow pets, I informed the manager that because of his rude behaviour towards me, we would leave immediately, when I told my husband what had happened, we got the web site up on our laptop went back down stairs got the manager to come to our room and showed him the site which stated in big letters that they were pet friendly, he took pictures on his phone of the web page apologised said we could stay the second night but we would have to be very low key when taking our dog for exercise, well need less to say we didn't stop we checked out and booked into the Hilton 4 star hotel just down the road where we couldn't have been made more welcome and had a wonderful stay what a brilliant hotel, alas it might sound like sour grapes but besides our run in with the management at the Chilworth Manor I would not recommend this hotel to anybody its bad décor is very outdated the quality of the food is very poor and quality of service is not good, upside very helpful and efficient receptionist.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

A grand hotel with lots of period decor. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Lovely grounds and spa facilities. A good selection for breakfast. The room we used could have done with a facelift, window did not open and curtain off track. The was also steam damage in the shower area. The bed was quite soft for me.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear 312cl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences of the hotel on tripadvisor.

I was delighted with your comments and it’s lovely that you mentioned the period features the property has to offer.

We are currently rolling out an enhancements program for our bedrooms, corridors and some of our meeting/events rooms; this program will run throughout 2014.

We do hope you will come back for a return visit soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Overall my recent stays at the Chilworth, both with family and on business, have been good with excellent evening resturant food, accommodation and I will continue to use the hotel, however I do feel that in some areas there is room for improvement. The bar / lounge continues to be understaffed during the afternoon resulting in guests having to chase down staff or giving up completely. The gardens appear to lack a level of care with in areas damaged decking and discarded bar glasses (presumably from functions) but if guests can find them surely the staff can, my 2 year old did! Breakfast which use to be a highlight of any stay is now total self service and has in my opinion has fallen in standard as a result. Please bring back served hot drinks and toast but leave speciality coffee machine those who want it. This change has led to a lack of staff / guest interaction and it merely now feels like a process. I do really like this hotel and I would recommend but it just feels that it it starting to fray at the edges and needs to raise its game.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Andb76,

Many thanks for your recent review and for choosing to stay with us not only for business but also on a family break.

Thank you also for your very positive comments regarding our comfortable bedrooms and excellent cuisine in our restaurant.

I note your comments regarding breakfast and appreciate your viewpoint; so far the overwhelming feedback has been extremely positive from both our corporate and leisure guests. We do offer table service for beverages and toast which is highlighted in our breakfast menus, the staff are more than happy to offer that service for you.

The weather since the turn of the year has made it extremely difficult to manage the gardens as we usually do, but every effort is being made to continue to improve them. We need the weather on our side to complete some of our projects.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you and hopefully your family again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I got a offer from Christmas for a spa day and one of the treatment. I choose the back massage and what a good choice. I had a lovely lunch followed by a nice swimming in the pool, steam room and finished with a 30min back massage. I just loved everything special the back massage. Very professional and attentive staff. I would recommend a spa day and for sure I will return

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Deinha1979

Dear Andreachelsilva,

Thank you for such a positive review, I am delighted you enjoyed your back massage and the facilities on offer at our health club.

We look forward to welcoming you back to theclub@chilworth-manor very soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just had our wedding here, just a brilliant day. Fantsatic staff and lovely food made for a wonderful day. And the breakfast the next morning was lovely, just what we all needed!! The Bridal Suite was roomy and comfortable, overlooking the lawns. Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear lucy m,

Firstly congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you so much for choosing to celebrate such an important milestone in your lives with us at the hotel.

I am thrilled with your review and really happy to learn the whole team and the quality of our cuisine were are part of making your day so special.

Please come and visit again soon

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for one night and it was my first visit since Best Western took over.

My room was very nice (309) however there was black mould above the shower on the ceiling which is disgusting, no sence that anyone has tried to clean it off or re-paint it.

The afternoon bar staff disappear and leave people standing at the bar up to 15 minutes waiting to be served, this is also very poor.

The restaurant is very good, the food is excellent although the restaurant Manager need some more training as he really hasn't a clue, it was a bit like Fawlty Towers at times.

Slept very well, bed was very comfy. Breakfast was a joke, tasteless self servcie buffet, the lady taking room numbers must be part of the bar staff as she kept dissappearing as well to leave people to fend for themselves. The overfill restaurant is also a storage area with tabels and chairs stacked up.

Please don't be fooled into thinking the name is everything as with this property under Best Western Chilwroth Manor is a basic 3 star hotel. I will stay again if in the area but exepct it to be very average each time.

Cleaning tip for the hotel - When you have had a wedding check the gardens which as there were empty glasses everywhere and rubbish all over the place. Surely this is basic.

Room Tip: Rooms in the house I believe are better
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Bigbird1334,

Thank you for your recent review, I am thankful for your positive comments relating to our quality cuisine and the large comfy beds we offer.

I note your comments relating to areas of improvement and we will certainly look to improve room 309 immediately. We are currently undergoing an enhancement program of public corridors and bedrooms that will last throughout 2014 and will deliver a superior experience to our guests.

I’d like to mention that Best Western do not own the property, the board of directors has remained the same since 2001 along with the senior management team and many of the key personnel throughout the hotel. As a company we chose to become a part of the Best Western brand in 2010, they have been a huge support with regards marketing the hotel. Although your stay was not to your liking they have help guide and support us with multiple improvements that directly impact our guests; such as free WIFI for all our guests and an excellent Rewards card product.

I hope in your future stays you will benefit from the improvements we are implementing.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I recently stayed at Chilworth Manor for the weekend for my 22nd birthday as a present. I have never complained before but was so disappointed I thought I should. The room was beyond basic and very out dated which wasn't a huge problem, just not what we expected. So, we went to the 'spa' to see what was there, turned out to be just a pool with a couple of rooms off the side. There was no area to relax and then had to wait for the class to finish before we could even get in the pool.
The worst part was actually sleeping, our room was facing one of the venue rooms which happened to have a wedding the first evening. The disco was so loud we were trying to sleep with pillows over our heads. So we rang reception and they said it finished at midnight and there were no other rooms available to move to. It did turn off on the dot of midnight which was good.
We were looking forward to a nice full english breakfast, however the food from the buffet was all cold and the 'fresh' fruit salad had all come out of tins.
We then went to reception to ask if there was another wedding that evening and saw there were actually two more weddings. We thought whats the point of staying in a hotel where we couldn't actually sleep so left a day early and went home.

1  Thank Hannah W

Dear Hannah W,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent experience of the hotel, I was very sorry to learn your stay was not what you expected and I’d like to offer my most sincere apologies for that.

Unfortunately from your tripadvisor username I am unable to identify you in our system so I can’t investigate this matter further. I’d invite you to contact me on smarriott@chilworth-manor.co.uk so that I can help resolve this matter for you.

Stephen Marriott

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilworth
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
#5 of 25 in Southampton
The Potters Heron
The Potters Heron
#1 of 1 in Ampfield

Been to Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!