“Pre Cruise Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilworth
Conwy,North Wales
“Pre Cruise Stay”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

As we travel 300 miles from home to Southampton we always travel the day before.This time we decided to stay at the Chilworth Manor a few miles outside of Southampton,what a good choice. An all in deal,room excellent, first class evening meal and full English breakfast.! We were taken to our ship by taxi and met on our return.Safe parking was provided for 14 days and coffee provided on our return..A good 4 star hotel well worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wanderers099
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Wanderers099,

Many thanks for your first class review, I was thrilled with your comments.

We hope you will choose to stay with us for future visits to the area.

Stephen Marriott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Lovely surroundings, as well as facilities. All of the team were great, and the spa was fantastic. My massage and facial was so relaxing, and the staff went out of their way to help accommodate us. Would definitely recommend for a spa day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helzone
Dear Helzone,

Thank you for such a lovely review, I am really pleased you enjoyed your time with us and would recommend the spa.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Hard to review as I would say between average and very good. Currently writing from the room as not checked out yet.

My husband and I have spent one night in this hotel as my husband is working nearby very early this morning so we decided to travel up the day before and stay overnight.

Hotel is an old manor house, set in beautiful grounds and with a lovely drive up to the front of the hotel - can see why it is popular for weddings. When we arrived there was plenty of parking and it was around 7pm on Sunday night. Grounds are spectacular with different levels that you step down to with very old stone steps - you can see where the original manor house gardens were and we were very lucky to spot a deer in the grounds last night - a young doe who promptly bounced off once she saw us.

All the staff that we have met or encountered have been lovely and as far as we have seen, all english, which is pretty much a first as usually staff in hotels are mainly from overseas (Poland in the main) and we have stayed in a lot of hotels for work related stays over the years.

We booked a standard double room, which was a nice size with an OK size bathroom, full bath with shower over bath. Water in shower powerful and hot, good toiletries provided, bar of soap as well as liquid soap (Gilchrist & Soames) and also a combined hair and body soap in the bath/shower, shower caps and even 2 x flannels are provided - a nice tough. Plenty of clean towels, good comfortable bed but a small double, good clean crisp bedding and good pillows, not too soft, overall a good night sleep.

Free fast wifi which is good, good size desk to work from, iron and ironing board in a good sized wardrobe, tea/coffee making facilities and happy to replenish when asked, even with fresh milk in a jug - all in all the room had everything you need for a comfortable nights stay.

Ate in the restaurant last night, yes some dishes are overpriced and not worth the money and yes it is a bit fussy in the presentation. I ordered the Duck confit for starters, came up on a "roof tile" or slate as most places now seem to think it is trendy to serve on a slate. The duck came in a small tin which resembled a tin of cat food and you had to open it yourself with a pull tab (again reminded me of a tin of cat food to open) so was a bit worried but needn't have been as it was very tasty. My husband had the salmon mousse, came up in three small mounds, not much so even though was tasty was not worth the price of £8.00 I believe and no bread with it. For mains I had the 'special' - Roast Beef dinner - it was lovely, best roast beef dinner I have had in a long time, not sure what it cost as the "Specials" weren't marked on the menu so did not see a price and cannot recall it on the bill, but it was worth whatever they charged as it was so tasty, great veg as well and the gravy was wonderful. My husband however had the burger and this just consisted of a burger on a brioche bun, with a china spoon with a small dollop of mayonnaise, he ordered chips as a side because we noticed that his main did not come with anything and the chips could not have been more than one whole potato chipped and all this served on a wooden "chopping board". my husbands main cost £12 so a costly beef burger with the chips costing £3. My husband also had dessert which was nice and I had a coffee which was very watery. Overall my food was lovely, my husbands not worth the price.

The bar area is a nice large but comfortable area, bar staff were lovely and drinks prices average for a hotel, £7.95 for a glass of red wine and pint of Worthingtons.

Breakfast was lovely, we were the first down to breakfast at 7am as my husband had to leave for his work. The hot buffet was lovely (fresh and plentiful of course as we were down early) a great choice of hot and cold breakfast offerings. Don't see why people complain about breakfast and having to make/serve yourself tea/coffee and toast etc as well as the buffet, I prefer being able to get things as and when I want rather than wait for it and it does say on the table menu that you can request table service if you wish.

Reception staff are equally lovely and accommodating - I had on my paperwork booking that check out was 11am, but once in the room I read the book provided and noticed check-out on a weekday is 9.30am, so I asked at reception and the lovely young lady said not to worry 11am was fine for check-out.

Overal a lovely comfortable stay and yes we would return to the hotel again for both business and leisure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ginnyLondon
ChilworthManor, General Manager at Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear ginnyLondon,

Many thanks for your in-depth and balanced review of your recent stay.

I was very pleased with your comments relating to your stay and am delighted you enjoyed your meal, had a good nights sleep and the whole team were helpful and attentive throughout your stay.

I note your opening comment about the hotel being between average and very good, we will continue to try and improve our facilities and service so we can get much closer to the ‘very good’ end.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on what we thought was a B&B deal. It turned out breakfast was an extra £14.25 so make sure you are hungry if you go. The hotel looks lovely on the web site but is in fact tired and dated. They were painting the corridors while we were there but this isn't helping as they didn't strip the old paper off the walls first. Dinner was expensive and overly complicated. The menu even has a glossary of terms so that you know what you are eating. Mains average at £15 and deserts £7 and a hot filled roll in the bar £13. It also took 20 minutes for a glass of wine to appear. We ate out the rest of the week. There is very little parking on hard standing, the rest is on very rutted gravel which was full of puddles while we were there. The hotel is also popular with conferences and weddings. The best thing about the place is the gym and pool. It is a 2 minute walk from the hotel but has all the amenities you would expect. The grounds are also lovely but again they are tired and in need of work. If you have mobility issues I suggest you let them know as the rooms in the main part of the hotel are all accessed via stairs. There are rooms on the ground floor and a lift towards the back of the hotel. All in all I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear way2manyhotels,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent 3-night break at the hotel. I am sorry you booked a room only rate when you required breakfast; breakfast booked in advance is charged at £10 per person.

I appreciate your comments relating to our food offering, along with more complex dishes we also offer award winning burgers, Caesar salad, pasta dishes and each day we have a chefs dish of the day. The glossary of terms was introduced just under a year ago and is there to help diners understand some of the traditional catering terminology that is used on some dishes. The recent AA inspector who awarded us a Rosette for exceptional cuisine in April of this year thought this was a fantastic idea.

I’m sorry you were not entirely satisfied with every aspect of your stay.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My birthday treat from my daughter was afternoon tea at Chilworth Manor Hotel. I was really looking forward to it and brought my sister with me as she had recently recovered from surgery.

I have been lucky enough to have afternoon tea in several hotels and establishments over the years and have always been very happy with the content of these teas.

However, today I was very disappointed as was my sister. First of all we were not in the dining room we were in the bar area. The Tea was brought out which consisted of one pot of hot water, one pot of coffee and a selection of teas in a box were placed on the table. Then there were four finger sandwiches each, two very hard scones, fruit and plain; two pieces of mini fruit cake; two mini pavlova's, two miniscule pieces of battenburg, clotted cream and jam. I asked for some fresh cream and after some confusion, as single cream had been brought, got the cream. The scones were not good, they had been made at least yesterday and were very hard. The mini pavlova, the meringue was possibly straight out of a packet and very brittle, the mini battenburgs were ok and the fruit cake was the best thing.

I did ask if when we had finished the sandwiches we could ask for more but was advised that this was not part of the deal. In every other establishment where I have had Afternoon Tea, at least one more round of sandwiches and one more selection of pastries were offered. Also, we had to ask for extra water, it wasn't offered and also another cup each so that we could drink the coffee.

It was so disappointing, I had been looking forward to this for some time and had waited until my sister was well enough to join me so that she could share this special treat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mary T,

Thank you for sharing your recent Afternoon Tea experience on tripadvisor, your comments are most welcome.

I was obviously disappointed that you did not feel we delivered the experience you had hoped for, as our literature states we do serve Afternoon Tea in either the galleried main hall or on the terrace (weather permitting). A restaurant is not the right setting for an afternoon tea. We do have taller tables available in the lounge if required.

Our cakes, scones and jam are all homemade and as you know we ask guests to book at least a day in advance to ensure all items are prepared fresh that day, I am sorry you felt the items on offer fell below what you would expect. Part of the Afternoon Tea tradition is you can ask for a few more cakes and sandwiches and these should be provided with no questions, I am sorry this did not happen, I will be discussing this with the service team.

I would like to invite you to make contact with myself on smarriott@chilworth-manor.co.uk so that I may help to try and make amends.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked a two night stay at this hotel because a web page called I know Hampshire stated that it was pet friendly, it's certainly not, although we booked in for our first night stay with our small lap dog with us at reception, we took her out for several walks through the day having to walk through the main part of the hotel, not once did anybody ask what we were doing there with a dog not until the next morning when I was returning to the hotel from a walk with our dog I was asked by the hotel manager what I thought I was doing going up to the bedrooms with a dog, when I explained that I was staying there for a two night break his reply was not with that thing you won't be we don't allow dogs in this hotel, when I tried to explain we had booked it through afore mentioned web site we were told that that not possible we don't allow pets, I informed the manager that because of his rude behaviour towards me, we would leave immediately, when I told my husband what had happened, we got the web site up on our laptop went back down stairs got the manager to come to our room and showed him the site which stated in big letters that they were pet friendly, he took pictures on his phone of the web page apologised said we could stay the second night but we would have to be very low key when taking our dog for exercise, well need less to say we didn't stop we checked out and booked into the Hilton 4 star hotel just down the road where we couldn't have been made more welcome and had a wonderful stay what a brilliant hotel, alas it might sound like sour grapes but besides our run in with the management at the Chilworth Manor I would not recommend this hotel to anybody its bad décor is very outdated the quality of the food is very poor and quality of service is not good, upside very helpful and efficient receptionist.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilworth
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 25 in Southampton
Holiday Inn Southampton - Eastleigh M3,jct13

Been to Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!