“What a lovely day ou even in the school holidays”
Review of Coalhouse Fort

Coalhouse Fort
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Tilbury
Basildon
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“What a lovely day ou even in the school holidays”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

What a lovely place, I took my Bailey there today for a walk and it was utterly delightful, only one thing marred this lovely place, no not the kids for there were not that many about, and those that were, were very well behaved (3-5 year olds I'd guess), it was just that there was quite a bit of litter about, maybe we were very early and the wardens hadn't yet started their daily cleanup, hopefully there would be a 'daily' cleanup.

Very easy to get to, the sat nav took me straight there at RM18 8PB, and it doesn't cost anything to park either. Not sure if you have to pay to get into the fort or even the toilets as I didn't use either, but I will definitely be back. Watch this space.

I didn't do much of the walk but I'd definitely go back again and walk a lot further, I don't think we even touched on the Fort that much.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank cascatzBasildon

ENGLAND
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Sorry but after reading information from English Heritage ??”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We decided to visit this fort after reading a good write up on English Heritage website.
It was a Saturday midday time and according to the advertised opening times it was closed.
The approach to the fort through East Tilbury is an experience alone and reminded me of driving through former communist countries before the Berlin Wall came down, drab, cold, characterless and the old 'Bata' factory reminded me of Chernobyl horrible!

We did manage to speak to two workman who were collecting something from the fort they were kind enough to allow us to take a quick look inside the gates.
My personal opinion is that if money was spent on this run down fort it would be an interesting, outstanding national monument and if the Thames gateway is built in the area it would be a very popular place.
Sorry at the moment it is in a sorry state.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Eynsham
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“History on your door step”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We finally got around to visiting Coalhouse Fort on Bank holiday Monday (26th) and enjoyed the experience. Although the actual fort is not that old in terms of history it was an interesting day spent walking around and taking advantage of the free tour included in the entrance price of £4.00 per adult. From the top there are great views over the Thames estuary and beyond. There is also a park which has lovely walks.

The Thameside Aviation Museum was an eye opener for any age group about WW2 and the brave pilots that lost their lives in action. Special thanks to Dave who has a wealth of knowledge on aviation.

Well worth a visit.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank Janis O
Scotland, United Kingdom
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Nice place for a walk in the fresh air”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

There are not that many places in the area for walking in parkland, so Coalhouse Fort is a rare chance to walk in pleasant open surroundings to enjoy the great outdoors. Located at the road end, drive right through East Tilbury village, the large car park is just beyond St Catherines Church. Good paths for buggies and wheelchairs.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank hillcrestroad
Billericay, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Halloween Night”
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Oh dear, what a shame. We spent over 2 hours queuing for 8 minutes of screams and laughter. Sorry Coalhouse Fort, but I dont think the entry fee and queue time were worth it. The people in the tunnels were great and did the job they were there to do admirably. But the organisation above ground let them down.

1 Thank Wayne C