“Katana is the vision of a child, realised with...”

Review of Katana Villa

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Villa -
3 Bedrooms, 4 Bathrooms, Sleeps 8
Bunutan, Karangasem, Bali

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 73 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chinese (Simplified) first
Swedish first
Any
kent5549
chicago
“Katana is the vision of a child, realised with the patience of an adult.”
Reviewed 27 January 2012 for a stay in January 2012
people found this review helpful

What an enchanting jewel box Leslie created at Katana. I had fairly high
expectations after looking at the website, but nothing could have prepared
me for the explosion of creativity.

On my first morning, with my eyes full of dream dust, I made myself a cup
of tea and spent an hour or so snooping around, taking it all in.
Everywhere I looked I found the most magical details, some strong and bold,
demanding your attention, others so subtle and delicate you have to seek
them out, like buried treasure.

The house is fabulous, but it is in the gardens that everything really
comes together, and at the heart of your garden is water... water
everywhere; bubbling out of urns, trickling down walls, shooting playfully
out of grotesque faces into lazy pools where turtles and fish hide in the
shade. After lunch i sat at the pools edge, closed my eyes and just
listened for a
while. Each fountain joined in with it's neighbour, merged together with
the soft twittering of birds, and transported me, suspended above this
garden of eden.

Anyone can hire an Architect and throw money at a house, but this rarely
succeeds. The thing that makes Katana so special is that Leslie took the
time to dream, time to experiment, try things, change things, and had a bit of
fun. These, I believe, are the foundations of true creativity and the key
to her success.

Katana is the vision of a child, realised with the patience of an adult.
It's a delicious combination and provides a welcome relief from
this sterilized world of flat packs and concrete boxes.

With much gratitude and admiration, I highly recommend Katana Villa…

Travelling group: Solo
6 Dec 2012
Reading this review brought tears to my eyes ... if fact I did respond right away but somehow it was never posted.... sorry about that! It is so true what you said about being the vision of a child with the patience of an adult because that is exactly how I felt while working with the architect, I was like a child in a playhouse with the opportunity to create whatever I wanted... so all my childhood fantasies came out and the architect (Etha) understood me well and realized my dreams for me... and voila! Katana was created. thank you for enjoying and appreciating it's unique qualities.
Constance...
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“an oasis of peace”
Reviewed 15 December 2011 for a stay in October 2011

We stayed for a week at Katana Villa and found it was a wonderful island of respite. The villas are each full of artistic whimsical features that added to the joy of being there and the clean and well maintained rooms to the feeling of a luxurious vacation. The staff was so helpful and were able to take care of our crawling toddling baby while we ate breakfast. Our group included a young couple with a baby and two sets of grandparents, so we each had different needs. The staff prepared special meals for the baby and we ordered in from local restaurants at times. The mopeds were fun and handy to get to snorkel sites and to shop and go to restaurants. The swimming pool a great place to relax in the afternoon.

6 Jan 2012
It was such a joy to have your family with us. And now we have an elevated baby bed! Hopefully it will continue to be of good use! As for the staff at Katana Villa; they are simply the best!
lisa94553
martinez, california
“Everything you could ask for in Bali”
Reviewed 28 November 2011 for a stay in October 2011
person found this review helpful

We stayed a week at Katana while diving and exploring the area and loved it. The staff were wonderful and went out of their way to provide the little extras that made our stay even more enjoyable. The motorscooters were super handy and a great way to get around town. Staying in Amed was so much nicer that our initial stop in Nusa Dua, the area is very relaxed and unpretentious. Good restuarants are a short walk or ride away and the diving and snorkeling in the area was superb. For divers one of the nicest features of Katana is the massage gazebo where you can get a post-dive massage in privacy. The other reviewers have summarized this place well, it is unlike any other and a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation.

Travelling group: Couples
marquin59
Australia
“Spellbound by Her Magic !”
Reviewed 27 October 2011 for a stay in October 2011

Booking Katana ~

The wonderful owner of Katana (Leslie) was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Prompt warm emails returned , to work out our dates. Nothing was too much hassle. And after watching a "YouTube" tour of the villa, that Leslie takes you thru , it just wets you appetite , to want to stay there ! :)

Drove from SEMINYAK ~

Up to AMED. Great drive , stops on the way. Great scenery. Good photos taken.
Arrived AMED. Found Katana (up its steep drive way) tuck away , in a peaceful location.

Villa Decor ~

If you are wanting state of the art, clean lines , stainless steel , sterile , "cookie-cut" Villa , book somewhere else.!!!!!
"Katana" is wild ! Crazy , wonderfully mad, electric , funky, unique decor ! I adored it.Full of color, oranges, vermilion reds, turquoise,purples, yellows ! Insane. It has personality , its a blend of miss matched furniture & pieces collected along the way, by Leslie. And it all just marries togehter so well , as if it has been there forever ! It was like been on the of a set Tarzan & Jane movie. Its total fantasy. My kids loved it , as I did. Unique, only to, what is the magic of Katana.
But , all your 5 star comforts have not been forgotten. Big screen TVs, King comfy beds, cool linens, throw rugs (plenty), stunning, chic, luxury sofa (in the family suite ) my kids chilled out there watching DVDs.
Water pressure great in all showers, Hot water , plenty,
Staff ~
What do I say here !???~ Wayan we miss you already. Dear sweet , patient Wayan.
Special man. Loved having him quietly go about his jobs/duties at the villa. He was a pleasure to see every morning. Smiley face ,ready to 5 star serve our breakfast. Along with Made, Iloh,Eka.
And villa manageress , the charming, magnetic Made S., & her daughter Wenni. The whole crew there are , beyond words, wonderful.

The POOL~

OMG! It was like diving into a fresh mountain stream every morning. To start other day in paradise, roll out of bed & dive , naked ,into that pool . How I miss it!!!. With its quirky grotto, waterfall & slide !
Surrounded with water fountains & water sounds everywhere.

How I am missing my late nite Bintang, from the balcony of the mysterious Master Suite.
Looking out to sea where pretty diamonds danced on the ocean, underneath a dreamy, milky Bali moon.

To all at "Katana" & beautiful Leslie, my family wish you good Bali luck. Till we return . A big TerimaKash & lots of hugs :)

Maryanne & family (Australia)

4 Nov 2011
Hi M, We loved reading your review. It is always a joy to read everyone's feelings during their time at Katana Villa. I wish I was there to meet you in person, although I must say that I do feel I know you well enough by now, as you express yourself very well in writing! Everyone speaks as highly of you as you do of them. It was a joy to have you and your kids with us! We look forward to your return, but next time I want to plan it (if we can) when I'm there also. I would love nothing more than to sit on that balcony with you, drinking a cold bintang and enjoying the beautiful ocean view! Cheers! L
Renee F
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful Bali experience!”
Reviewed 1 October 2011 for a stay in April 2011
person found this review helpful

As soon as we arrived at the front entrance of the Katana Villa we knew it was "PARADISE" no other words to describe it. Best vacation yet!! My husband, my son & daughter & I spent one week there and it was great although we wished we could have stayed longer!! We were welcomed with warm friendly smiles as well as Lei's made from fresh smelling Frangipanis placed around our necks. The Katana was so spacious and it was all ours ;) far better than some hotels and villas we have stayed at. The decor was so balinese and beautiful & my kids loved the pool & the grotto. Made, Wayan and the rest of the staff were outstanding and so friendly and made you feel so comfortable and at home :) Waenis Restaurant was our very favourite place to eat and it was great because they would deliver to the Katana for you if you did not feel like dining out. Made was wonderful and drove us wherever we wanted to go in Bali even if it was a couple of hours away! :) Thank-you Made, Wayan & all who made our holiday at the Katana a very memorable one! And special thanks to Leslie for all her help in booking our holiday at her lovely villa! Missing everyone and cannot wait to return to the Katana Villa!!!!! And must not forget Geisha & Shuto! :)
Bob, Renee, Jarrad & Jenna Forsyth <3

20 Oct 2011
Hi Renee & family, Thank you for the nice review! Our entire staff truly enjoyed your time at the Villa, and we just got the email that you wanted to come this month with your family again, but we are unfortunately already booked for that time. We are really sad to miss you this time around!! Please remember to reserve with us 4-6 months in advance - especially for high season.
Wishing you all the best! Cheers!
cadams623
Shenzhen, China
“Unwind and Enjoy Katana Villas”
Reviewed 26 August 2011 for a stay in July 2011
person found this review helpful

My wife, our young twins and I spent the month of July at Katana Villas and loved every moment of it.

The property has three eclectic bungalows that surround a pool with a water slide and grotto. The master bedroom is above the open-air living room, kitchen and dining room, and faces the rising sun over the Bali Sea.

Two separate bungalows provide bed space for six other guests and offer privacy to friends and family. Each of the bungalows is decorated with interesting art, and one has an amazing insect mosaic floor.

The property also comes with a bale for massages, meditating or an out-of-sun spot for reading and an afternoon nap. A fully stocked gym is there just in case you don't get enough exercise hiking, snorkeling and walking on the beach. Palm trees, banana trees, bougainvillea and plumeria provide fresh fruit, color and tropical fragrances. Fountain ponds with Koi and turtles were a huge hit with our girls who enjoyed feeding them every morning.

Katana Villas’ helpful staff makes your stay even more enjoyable. Wayan, his wife Iluh, and the rest of the staff prepare tasty breakfasts and make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. They had an intuitive sense of how active or laid back we wanted to be on a daily basis. They helped us purchase local mobile SIM cards, change money, rent a car, book tickets on a fast boat to Lombok and find our way around Ubud, Amed, and other parts of East Bali. We enjoyed Wayan’s homemade mud and sea salt scrub made with holy water from his village’s temple and visited their family’s home temple during the Gulungan and Kuningan festivals – a heartwarming, once-in-a-lifetime experience.

We enjoyed the calmness of Bunutan, which is far away from the hustle and bustle of Ubud, Kuta and Denpasar. If you have not been to Bali and want to be in the mix of it, this is not the place for you as it is a three-hour drive to Ubud or Denpasar. However, you want to relax and take in the natural surroundings of a lesser-developed part of Bali, then Katana Villas is an excellent choice.

There are several nice restaurants in Amed, but few shops. Sails’ Fish in Banana Leaf with Balinese Sauce is fantastic; it’s Bon Appetit cover-worthy good. The Grill does just that and grills all things meat, foul and seafood. Blue Moon has great local dishes and a wonderful ocean view. Waeni’s Sunset View Restaurant has a conversation-stopping view of the sunset as it sinks behind the towering Gunung Agung volcano.

Black Sand Beach, just down the road, has some of the best snorkeling we’ve ever experienced. There are more species of hard and soft coral than you could count or identify, and thousands upon thousands of fish. The Pondok Café at the far eastern end of the beach serves tasty food you can enjoy with the sea salt on your skin and sand in your hair. Sunset rides in traditional outriggers are easy to arrange from any of the beaches that line the Amed coast.

The only downside to Katana Villas is when you realize you can't live there forever. It’s beautiful, comfortable and a real gem. Stay here if you want unwind and enjoy a wonderful, private property with warm-hearted staff.

Value Cleanliness
30 Aug 2011
Thank you for the lovely review! After being there for an entire one month, this means a lot! It was really a pleasure for all of us to have you for so long, in fact you were the first family we had for a full month. Everyone was sad to see you go. Having your darling twins there was a true highlight for my entire staff…and now after sharing a month together the Katana staff feels like you are great friends, and that is part of what gives me so much joy in doing this, as it opens their world and brings them so much happiness to cater to wonderful people from around the world like your family. I am happy to have been able to share with you the charm of Katana Villa, my endearing staff, and the villages of Bunutan and Amed. We hope to see you again one day!
Nastia_ma...
Moscow, Russia
“Have you ever been in paradise?”
Reviewed 11 July 2011 for a stay in February 2011

Its the second home for me)Im very happy that i had a chance to visit this paradise. Its real and native Bali with real and friendly staff. Luxury bedrooms-bungalow, luxury pool, luxury kitchen and bar...We had been here 2011, february, 6 person. And all our company can tell you 1 think - is you have never been in Villa Katana, you have never been in Paradise, you have never been in native BAli.
Thanx Big Boss $-))) Leslie - she very kind and hospitality master. Thanx you - that you that in your home we felt ourselves like in our home)))))
Nastia, Russia (very-very far from this place)

Value Cleanliness
Travelling group: Friends
26 Aug 2011
Hi guys, it is great to read that you think of Katana Villa as your second home. This is exactly what we want our guests to feel! I also can't thank you enough for including these fabulous photos of your stay!! It is great and to share with others. You are our first Russian guests! I hope you will be the first group of many from your fabulous country! My staff really enjoyed having all of you thee and our emails have been a delight! Cheers!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing