“Delicious!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Whitehead
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Eight friends met for a meal last night. It was lovely! The waiter was friendly and helpful. The food arrived promptly and was very tasty indeed. We have a few fussy palates but there were no complaints. The price for main and dessert worked out £12 per head - very reasonable for what we had - main and shared desserts. Def worth a visit!!!

2  Thank CharlotteisGorgeous

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Today I chose the chicken with mushroom sauce, mashed and roast potatoes, broccoli, and carrots. It was very tasty. The piece of chicken was succulent, it was done to perfection. I enjoyed a glass of Chilean white wine. Dessert was strawberry pavlova - absolutely beautiful, I had that instead of the soup for a starter.
My friend ordered the same main meal and liked it. She had the apple tart for dessert.
The service at the table was very attentive, both girls were nice. The dining area is airy and spacious with a view that beats all. We could see all the way out too Scrabo Tower in County Down.

3  Thank Hanni_LR43
Reviewed 6 March 2014

A bunch of us ate our midday meal in "The Lighthouse Bistro". I ordered the fry with black pudding, specifically craving the black pudding. I got one, but there was no black pudding to be had that day. Booo. The mushrooms were also absent from my plate, but when I asked about those I did get a whole extra dish of them, and they were fabulous. Great recovery, in fact, because the bacon was SO good, the soda bread was great, everything was brilliant. (I must apologize for only getting a photo AFTER I'd merrily tucked in.) The price was very cheap. Staff very attentive and friendly. Staggeringly beautiful views all the way from Belfast Lough round to Larne Lough. Bags of free parking outside. Big tables on their decking for outdoor dining, but not in February! There's a bar (I wasn't drinking). Lots of original watercolours of the golf course around the walls of the dining area.

5  Thank Steveodo
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I chose their sirloin steak, which was absolutely scrumptious. The people at my table had more steak and the beef. The children had a big fry and a sandwich. The sirloin came with onion rings, a big salad and chips. It was all very tasty. I had a pavlova for dessert. The service was very attentive. The chef there is very good.

The view from the restaurant was lovely as usual, even the sun was out. The new scheme up there gives you 15% off your drinks and 10% off the food bill if you are a card holder for Irish Ladies Golf Union - for a year, so I'll be up there all the time!

4  Thank Hanni_LR43
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Very good. The dining area is very long and spacious. There's a vast bank of south-facing windows onto a balcony, beyond which is an unparalleled view. You can see all the way across from the Bangor coast, Belfast Lough (in the photo, blazing with sunshine), Whitehead and inland towards Larne Lough. This corner of the Antrim Coast is often overlooked, but it's always worth a visit.

When you visit here, be sure to sign in with the book near the door (some kind of rule?). Their front door is on a buzzer, but the attentive people inside had it opened for us as we approached. There's a bar here, with a big lounge area full of couches. Another big group of diners had gone in, ordered, then moved out there for a drink while their meals were prepared. The interior of this golf club is very handsome. If you can tear yourself away from the windows
they have paintings depicting views from parts of the course outside.

I loved my dinner. When I asked for half rice, half chips, it turned out they couldn't do rice. This problem became a blessing when I found that their chips were the best I've eaten anywhere, ever. I took a photo of my dessert, but forgot to note its name. A very good meal, and for a ridiculously low price. It did take a wee while to be served, probably because of the larger party's food being prepared before ours. No matter, I had time. Great meal.

They’re now onto their “winter” opening schedule – shut Mondays and Tuesdays, Weds and Thurs open 12 noon to 3pm, Fri and Sat 12 noon to 8.30pm, Sun 12 noon to 7.30pm.

4  Thank Steveodo