“Lovely little place”

Ranked #1 of 3 Cobham B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely little place”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed here recently but didn't arrive until late. This was no problem at all and the staff were very helpful and accommodating despite our late arrival. We had a room with a four poster bed which was just lovely and very comfy. The room has everything you need for an overnight stay and may be a little basic but to be honest it makes up for everything with it's charming character. You can hear other people in the rooms but it's an old building so sort of expected and it wasn't loud. Breakfast was included in the really reasonable price and was cooked fresh as per our requirements. I really like it here and will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a four poster bed
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Somerset UK
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Delightful dinning room, bar, and bedroom, with walls filled with Charles Dickens pictures and memorabilia.
Breakfasts were satisfactory. Bedroom clean and also to our satisfaction.
However the proprietor serves breakfast every morning wearing jeans and a brewery tee shirt bearing an advert! This clashes with the white tableclothes and is not in accordance with one expects and is paying for.
He has at least one teanage child who with friends one evening went into the bar, after dinner, and misbehaved themselves. A waitress asked them to leave and the boy refused.
Not appreciated by ourselves and other guests.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Booked this hotel whilst travelling in the area. I specifically asked if the rooms had WiFi and was told yes. On arrival the Wifi didn't work in my room so I asked to be moved. After a lot of deliberation, I was told I could have another room but would have to pay more for it, I refused saying that I had asked when booking if wifi was available. Eventually the owner did agree to move me and not charge me extra. The rooms are quite noisy, but to be fair this is a very old building. Whilst I did not use the restaurant, breakfast the following day was excellent.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FionaVictoria1
Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My wife and I stayed just one night, the Charles Dickens reference is what drew me to this establishment. I wish I would have read the reviews! My wife was dubious from the beginning but I tried to keep an open mind. As stated in other reviews "Everything was no problem", until it came time for our meals to come from the kitchen. My wife had a simple starter and soup for her meal and she enjoyed both. I ordered a steak which took over an hour to make an appearance, without the peppercorn sauce I ordered which came well after my steak was consumed with great effort. Tender steaks must be the norm! Our room was quaint which is what I was expecting but what we did not expect was to hear everything that happened in the pub. I believe the staff made a nice try for us but overall we were disappointed with most aspects of our stay. If you are looking for a cool looking pub/B&B with little substance, the Leather Bottle is the place to go.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the pub as possible.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dugan103153
Miramont-de-guyenne, France
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I normally check with TripAdvisor before booking a hotel but on this occasion omitted to do so. I am glad I did as the reviews would have put me off and my wife and I would have missed out on a wonderful extended weekend.
The room had an Old World feel with a four-poster bed and Dickens memorabilia. The bed was comfortable and there was a view of the local church opposite.
The bathroom was a little tired and in need of refreshment but perfectly serviceable.
The food was good. Breakfast was one of the best I have had. Main meals were not Fine Dining but perfectly acceptable as Pub Food. The restaurant was welcoming and again furnished with Dickens memorabilia.
The staff were friendly and efficient and the hosts, Bryan and Sue were all you could wish for.
We have spent many nights in chain hotels and wanted something different on this occasion. The Leather Bottle provided a charming alternative and I would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 2 which is at the front of the Inn.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Roger V
Suffolk
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I was a little worried to read the negative reviews after I had booked us a room for my partner's birthday at the Leather Bottle. However, as soon as we saw the pub I was filled with hope. The outside looked great and was well maintained. Once we were at reception we were given a very warm welcome by the landlord Brian and we received a very friendly service from all the staff during our stay, despite the fact they worked extremely hard during this Bank Holiday weekend.

The four poster bedroom was lovely, with the added bonus that Charles Dickens had stayed there in person. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room (as indeed the whole pub) was very clean. The bathroom could do with refurbishing, but I am sure that will be next on the list, as the owners have only been there 18 months and did all the essential work first.

The food is not fantastic, just ok, but then again, what do you expect, it is a pub, not a Michelin star restaurant, so it was adequate for us. The wine was great value and very enjoyable. Breakfast was nice and not greasy. Good quality sausages and bacon!

The Charles Dickens memorabilia were a great attraction to us and we could have spent days if we would have looked at them all in detail. Nearby Rochester is a great place to visit for everything to do with Charles Dickens and his characters. We were lucky to be there during the Sweeps Festival, which meant that there were many Morris Dancers in the street and the pubs had live music and real ales throughout the day.

All in all we had a great time and I would definitely recommend The Leather Bottle as a special place to stay!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
leather_bottle, General Manager at The Leather Bottle, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for your positive and constructive review. Susan and Bryan and all the staff at the Leather Bottle are delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Poor customer service, staff all chat about one another. Staff make you feel unwelcomed when you ask for anything. Expensive place for what is on offer. I wouldn't touch this place again !!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mex1984
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobham
The Inn on the Lake
Premier Inn Rochester Hotel
The Darnley Arms
The Darnley Arms
#2 of 3 in Cobham

Been to The Leather Bottle? Share your experiences!