“Big disappointment and a total rip-off”
Review of Hotel Emilia

Hotel Emilia
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portonovo
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed here in August 2011 when I was attending a conference nearby and there was no availability in other hotels. I was reluctant because of the price, but at least expected something decent for what I paid...but no such luck. I travel frequently for business and have stayed in hotels that cost a quarter of the prices at the Emilia but are many times better. As another reviewer has stated, the stained cream carpet is just horrible and my room was tiny, barely room to put my suitcase down on the floor. Also, it was a boiling hot week and the rooms were hot and so I left the air-con on low when I left for a couple of hours but always found it swtiched off with the window open (so full of hot air and mosquitoes) when I returned...nice! The hotel is in a beautiful location, and the family-run element could be attractive but unfortunately just let the hotel down further - staff unfriendly and at times rude and that's not just being curt in English as they were like that in Italian too which is such a shame. The worst thing of all, however, was the bathroom... Firstly, tiny. Now I'm tall but not large but anyone larger than average would have had severe problems with this bathroom - you had to turn sideways to get past the sink into the shower and couldn't lean down over the sink as the wall behind was so close. The shower was powerful (great!) which is all very well if you have a clear plug hole but after less than a minute in the shower I had to stop it and wait for the water to clear as I risked flooding the bathroom due to slow drainage, it took a long time to wash my hair....! I complained when I left the hotel, and it was basically a case of a shrug of the shoulders and no apologies whatsoever so I handed over my card and paid the ridicuolous price, this time. I'm sorry but I really couldn't recommend the hotel to anyone and suggest you look for one of the other hotels nearby, otherwise you risk being seriously disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank jjcsin2012

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Essential room with a nice view on the garden, with an empty mini bar, that contains two bottles of water, free, every day. The big garden looks direct to a wonderful view of the Conero.
Relaxing breakfast, with large distance from the tables and possibility to have it outside, under the porch and a good choose quality food (different kind of cakes you could have fresh orange juice, fresh season fruits, eggs or ham).
We suggest it for the position and because is very relaxing in the low season.
We didn't eat at the inside restaurant.
The pool works only in the summer.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2010

This hotel didn't initially blow us away as we drove in, but once we'd seen the room, views, pool and gardens we were astounded. It is located on a very beautiful part of the east coast. The hotel recommended a fantastic seafood restaurant on the seafront which we would also recommend (especially the seafood soup starter!).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I am currently searching for a hotel for an upcoming holiday near Ancona and therefore I remember my stay at Hotel Emilia in Aug08. This was the last of 3rd stays. 1st stay iIn 2006, I fully agree with the reviewer underneath, it was a very pleasant holiday in a beautiful envirement (area and building). One year later, service and friendlyness were one level under the year before. I returned in 2008 because I loved the place but after two nights I left prior to my schedule because service and hospitality had disappeared in full. I think a graveyard would have more life in as this hotel had. No wonder, when you talk the Lady, who is a family member and runs the hotel. No warm welcome at the reception, run down and dirty room, the lovely garden restaurant was shut down because it is inconvenient to service it (??), other restaurant during lunch time serves bad food, pool closed late afternoon in August "because pool boy goes home" (he has to clean the pool before he leaves and tells guest "you have 5 minutes more") and so on. Hope someone buys that place, throws Management out and reopens soon.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank go2berlin
Reviewed 27 June 2008

We were given a nice welcome by the friendly staff, and the setting was fabulous, but in every other respect the hotel was a real let-down. The 'standard' room was small with zero sound-proofing - we could practically hear the people breathing in the next room. The sheets were damp and the bed didn't feel aired. The food was incredibly expensive and a sadly misguided attempt at fusion cuisine - it would have been better to stick with traditional Italian recipes at lower prices. I'm afraid we couldn't recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rosa333
Reviewed 16 February 2008

Wow! This hotel is something! Lets see, great food+greatviews+great pool+great room=great hotel! Firstly the pool, wow, loads of things to do, play table tennis, sunbathe, swim, stroll, sleep and read! The food is amazing, the breakfasts are delish and its great fun eating them outside! A definite must, near the beautiful old traditional town of Sirolo!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank fishyface99
Reviewed 1 July 2007

After spending 4 great days in Tuscany last September, our perception was, beautiful, but way too many other North American/english speaking tourists. The movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" had really turned Tuscany into an Italian theme park, albeit a beautiful one. We wanted to absorb the culture, history and experience the people. After 4 days of speaking to mostly other anglophones, my spouse and I were ready to drive to the still-yet-to-be-truly-discovered-by-the-North-American-masses Umbria and Le Marche regions. By that time, we were ready not to hear another North American or British accent and excited to struggle with our compact disc Italian lessons and get to the real heart of the place and people, hand signals and all.

In Tuscany we pre-booked our accommodation (see Frances' Lodge - Siena review), but Hotel Emilia we found accidentally while driving along the Ancona coast, after making our way from Umbria.

When we happened upon Hotel Emilia, we thought it was an exclusive resort, with it's art-deco white washed design and immense Picasso like lawn sculptures. We were tired from driving and decided to inquire about a room just the same. When the very polite, english speaking gentleman at the front desk told us they had a room and then surprisingly affordable rate, we dove on it. The room was immaculate. The grounds, just bordering on a national park, were like something out of a movie from the 30's, almost dreamlike. It had been raining and there was a mist surrounding the place, which added to the whole mystique. As an artist, I was completely enchanted and could only imagine how much more beautiful it would be with the sun glistening on the coast. There is a painting waiting to be born.

The rooms are large, bright and well equipped and you can have a sea view or front (park) view). We ended up staying for 2 nights, but had to give up our sea view room the second night as it had been booked by someone else, but our room the second night which overlooked the parking lot and park frontage of hte grounds, was still great. The bathrooms are large with modern fixtures and big glass shower enclosures.

There is a lovely lounge overlooking the grounds which end suddenly with a white railing over cliffs that fall down to the sea below. The pool and grounds have an outdoor bar and cafe tables and lawn chairs casually appointed around the area. Sitting there enjoying a glass of wine, surrounded by sculptures, this beautiful art-deco style building, the pool, the cliffs, the quietness and serenity of the whole place, we pinched ourselves and wondered at our good fortune.

We had arrived in the rainy season (which we found out in late September when we arrived - no one tells you that before you book your trip to Italy), and it did mostly rain while we were there. The few flashes of sunshine just gave us a peak of how spectacular the hotel and the whole region would be if you have perfect, sunny weather. It just had such an old world, romantic charm about it, we felt like we were in an old movie. I kept waiting to see Clark Gable come strolling across the lawn in a crisp white suite and ascott.

Not wanting to leave the grounds the first day, we ate in the restaurant that evening. We dined al fresco and the ambiance, service, food and local wine were excellent. Sitting at the beautifully set table, drinking wine and looking around, a real feeling of exclusivity and worldiness grabbed us; the tables are spaced widely apart but you can catch little bits of other quiet conversations, mostly in languages other than your own - you truly felt as if you were "away".

The food and service was excellent, even by comparision to the 5 star hotels and restaurants in Rome and Amalfi we had experienced in the same trip.

We could continue to rave about this place, but we're afraid that if too many people know about it, it will lose it's exclusive, worldly charm and the prices will go up. If you're looking for the Holiday Inn, or quaint Italiano, go elsewhere. If you're looking for sublime, glamourous, old world beauty in a little corner of Le Marche, where you won't be surrounded by other North Americans or Brits, this is the place. The neighbouring towns, beaches and restaurants are outstanding. But Shhhhhhh, don't tell too many others, we're hoping to go back and find it the way we left it.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portonovo
Hotel Fortino Napoleonico
Hotel Giardino Suite&Wellness
SeePort Hotel
SeePort Hotel
#3 of 18 in Ancona

Been to Hotel Emilia? Share your experiences!