“Fantastic snowshoe tour on Riistinturi”
Review of North Trek

North Trek
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Ruka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Northtrek is specializing in guided activities, outdoors in the wilderness all year around. Small group sizes are our preference 2 to 10 for example, Private groups, VIPs, families, companies etc. Tours are possible from 2 hrs up to week long packages. We are based in Kuusamo, Ruka, Lapland area. Our activities are eco friendly. Welcome!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 15 November 2016

Our day with Chris was the highlight of our honeymoon. He made it so easy (and spontaneous) to arrange. We went for a day snowshoe tour in which we really got to experience the beauty of Ruka. Chris is highly experienced and gave a great tour, together with a lunch stop in a traditional day hut cooking sausages on the fire. We were totally inspired from the trip and had the confidence after to do similar walks on our own in other areas of Lapland. Not only did Chris do this tour for us, he also took us into the town to look at knives that my Husband wanted to buy, and he also took us to his ceramic shop which shows his beautiful master pieces.
We would definitely recommend Chris to anyone thinking to visit Lapland, we are sure we will head back, hopefully for a summer trip one day!
Thanks again Chris!

Date of experience: November 2016
Christopher W, Owner at North Trek, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2016

Thank you both!
It was a memorable tour, the first of the season! Good to hear you bought the knife, now its a matter of practicing those forest skills!
The very best to you both for the future together!

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

We contacted Chris White before coming to Finland for advice on what interesting activities we could do in Oulanka National Park. We agreed on a day canoeing down river, stopping on the way to forage for wild food and cook on fires by the river, and an evening of bear watching.

Chris is highly trained, very experienced, clear and clam with his guidance and most important of all, he loves his work. Everything was organized so that we could have a great experience and there were backup plans in case anything didn't go exactly as planned.

Having never canoed before, we paddled down 28km of glorious river through seemingly endless forest. The peace and tranquillity were mesmerising, the food was excellent, we learned huge amounts about the forest, the rive and the people who live there, and we could have done it all again.

The next afternoon we met for an evening of bear watching from a hide. Again, everything was organized with a partner organization. After several hours of sitting sialently, when we were clost to giving up, the bears appeared and stayed close to us for over 2 hours.

Nature isn't always predictable, and Chris is infinately adaptable. He works all seasons, and with all abilities. I would trust him completely and would loce to come back in winter to explore under his guidance.

Highly recommended and very enjoyable.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank MMTMDavis

Wonderful memories, how unpredictable our nature is, I do so much enjoy the challenges of guiding outdoors, it was amazing how the Golden Eagles arrived first followed shortly by the majestic kings of the forest the Brown bears. And when we wanted to leave, one cough outdoors and they disappeared!
Super Wild memories, Thank you!
Greetings

Reviewed 2 April 2016

I visited Finland in Mar 2016 and wanted to do a snowshoeing trip in Oulanka and Riisitunturi National Parks. As I would be travelling solo, I was not sure if I would be able to find a suitable trip, especially if there were no existing tours and most groups start with a minimum of 2. I emailed Chris and was surprised that he replied that he would like to help me as a solo traveler. Not only that, later on when I needed to change the date of my tour, Chris assured me to plan as I would and he would try to fit my program. Throughout the tour arrangement, I did not feel that Chris treated me any less than with a bigger group.

Chris could not make it on the new dates as he had already pre-arranged another tour, and arranged for Jouko to be my guide. Jouko was knowledgeable, caring and patient. He not only guided me on the trail, but also pointed out to me many animal tracks and explained about the different types of trees and the landscape around. As it was my first time doing snowshoeing, he also helped me with my shoes and made sure they were worn correctly. The pace was just right. I stopped frequently for photos and did not feel rushed at all.

After the tour on the 2nd day, Chris even dropped by quickly to say hi and to send me back to my accommodation.

I could not have asked for a better operator for my first trip to Finland. Their service was very personal and they made me feel welcomed and at ease. I will approach them again for subsequent tours in the area.

Date of experience: March 2016
1  Thank greenbean88

Thank you for your feedback. And I trust the rest of your visit to Finland was a memorable experience.
Welcome back!
Regards

Reviewed 12 March 2016

My father and I spent one week in the wilderness of north Finland guided by Chris White between Hautajärvi and Salla. Chris is a very knowledgeable, friendly and experienced guide. We designed the tour together, he provided excellent quality pulks and snowshoes, the food his friend Mark prepared for us was excellent, the navigation in the wilderness was perfect and the Kotas & Cabins for the night were ideally located. I strongly recommend Chris if you want to design your own tour. And it was fun!

Date of experience: March 2016

It was a certainly a wonderful memorable tour. How can we ever forget the amazing sunset and the snow crowned trees of Ruuhitunturi, Salla. And the day you took over my forest kitchen! ;) Hah Hah.
Greetings

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 February 2016

My partner and I travelled to Ruka on Jan 24th 2016, it was set to be a magical trip, as this is where i would propose to her. I wanted to make the proposal a once in a life time experience and this is where I found Chris White from North Trek.

Chris was very helpful in advising me on the area and different trips he offered. I ended up doing a private guided snow shoeing experience through the magical Narnia forest to the top of Pyhävaara. At the top I'd arranged with Chris to have a fire, candles, sausages, champagne and candles to make the proposal even more special. I have to say Chris was very accommodating, he even added in hot chocolate and cakes.

The whole experience from start to finish was amazing, magical, and exceeded my expectations. It was made even more special when my partner said yes.

I would just like to say a massive thank you to Chris, as his communication before the trip was amazing. He put my mind at ease, and the trip went so smoothly. He was very professional, and patient, and I couldn't of hoped for a better guide.

If your going to Ruka I definitely recommend using Chris, we will be back next year, and are already planning our next trip with him.

Thanks again Chris x

Date of experience: January 2016
3  Thank Vincent_Clark

Thank you. So pleased that she said the big Yes! Really there wasn´t a choice in those surroundings and atmosphere was there? you really gave it 150% for your loved one. Possibly a Honeymoon in Ruka? ;)

Love to you both!