Review Highlights
Personal tour

Booked a full Finland experience via another company. Robin was our guide and personally provided... read more

Reviewed 26 February 2018
donnysoutherner
Sheffield, United Kingdom
via mobile
Inspiring Week in Kuusamo

Reviewed 23 November 2016
Moosehead2012
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 November 2016

We had booked our first visit to Kuusamo in between seasons and were a bit worried about what we might/might not be able to do so contacted Chris beforehand. He was very helpful and came up with some ideas including hiking in the beautiful Oulanka National Park and canoeing - which was one of the highlights of our trip having never done it before!! The scenery was spectacular and colours so vivid - it was so much fun (I think we were enjoying the experience too much to see any wildlife!). The silence was incredible - as darkness started to creep in it made the whole experience quite magical. Chris was well organised, amazingly patient and went above and beyond - organizing additional outings he thought we might like as he got to know us over the week that made our whole first trip to Finland unforgettable. He makes a great coffee over the camp fire and provided very welcomed hot food and blueberry "soup"!! We met some really lovely reindeer herders (and their lovely reindeer!) which was fascinating. We didn't see the Northern Lights unfortunately but that just means we have to go back! We will definitely be back to explore more! Chris is also a very talented potter and we are now proud owners of some of his lovely ceramics which will remind us of our week. We learnt so much during our stay and would highly recommend Chris White and North Trek to be your guides - Kiitos Chris:)

Date of experience: October 2016
Christopher W, Owner at North Trek, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2016

Thank you!
It was a super time, the day you left the snow arrived!
Remember the coffee pan is always warm and the `Northern Lights´are waiting ;)

Welcome back to the wilderness of Finland!

Chris White

Reviewed 15 November 2016

Our day with Chris was the highlight of our honeymoon. He made it so easy (and spontaneous) to arrange. We went for a day snowshoe tour in which we really got to experience the beauty of Ruka. Chris is highly experienced and gave a great tour, together with a lunch stop in a traditional day hut cooking sausages on the fire. We were totally inspired from the trip and had the confidence after to do similar walks on our own in other areas of Lapland. Not only did Chris do this tour for us, he also took us into the town to look at knives that my Husband wanted to buy, and he also took us to his ceramic shop which shows his beautiful master pieces.
We would definitely recommend Chris to anyone thinking to visit Lapland, we are sure we will head back, hopefully for a summer trip one day!
Thanks again Chris!

Date of experience: November 2016

Thank you both!
It was a memorable tour, the first of the season! Good to hear you bought the knife, now its a matter of practicing those forest skills!
The very best to you both for the future together!

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

We contacted Chris White before coming to Finland for advice on what interesting activities we could do in Oulanka National Park. We agreed on a day canoeing down river, stopping on the way to forage for wild food and cook on fires by the river, and an evening of bear watching.

Chris is highly trained, very experienced, clear and clam with his guidance and most important of all, he loves his work. Everything was organized so that we could have a great experience and there were backup plans in case anything didn't go exactly as planned.

Having never canoed before, we paddled down 28km of glorious river through seemingly endless forest. The peace and tranquillity were mesmerising, the food was excellent, we learned huge amounts about the forest, the rive and the people who live there, and we could have done it all again.

The next afternoon we met for an evening of bear watching from a hide. Again, everything was organized with a partner organization. After several hours of sitting sialently, when we were clost to giving up, the bears appeared and stayed close to us for over 2 hours.

Nature isn't always predictable, and Chris is infinately adaptable. He works all seasons, and with all abilities. I would trust him completely and would loce to come back in winter to explore under his guidance.

Highly recommended and very enjoyable.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank MMTMDavis

Wonderful memories, how unpredictable our nature is, I do so much enjoy the challenges of guiding outdoors, it was amazing how the Golden Eagles arrived first followed shortly by the majestic kings of the forest the Brown bears. And when we wanted to leave, one cough outdoors and they disappeared!
Super Wild memories, Thank you!
Greetings

Reviewed 2 April 2016

I visited Finland in Mar 2016 and wanted to do a snowshoeing trip in Oulanka and Riisitunturi National Parks. As I would be travelling solo, I was not sure if I would be able to find a suitable trip, especially if there were no existing tours and most groups start with a minimum of 2. I emailed Chris and was surprised that he replied that he would like to help me as a solo traveler. Not only that, later on when I needed to change the date of my tour, Chris assured me to plan as I would and he would try to fit my program. Throughout the tour arrangement, I did not feel that Chris treated me any less than with a bigger group.

Chris could not make it on the new dates as he had already pre-arranged another tour, and arranged for Jouko to be my guide. Jouko was knowledgeable, caring and patient. He not only guided me on the trail, but also pointed out to me many animal tracks and explained about the different types of trees and the landscape around. As it was my first time doing snowshoeing, he also helped me with my shoes and made sure they were worn correctly. The pace was just right. I stopped frequently for photos and did not feel rushed at all.

After the tour on the 2nd day, Chris even dropped by quickly to say hi and to send me back to my accommodation.

I could not have asked for a better operator for my first trip to Finland. Their service was very personal and they made me feel welcomed and at ease. I will approach them again for subsequent tours in the area.

Date of experience: March 2016
1  Thank greenbean88

Thank you for your feedback. And I trust the rest of your visit to Finland was a memorable experience.
Welcome back!
Regards

Reviewed 12 March 2016

My father and I spent one week in the wilderness of north Finland guided by Chris White between Hautajärvi and Salla. Chris is a very knowledgeable, friendly and experienced guide. We designed the tour together, he provided excellent quality pulks and snowshoes, the food his friend Mark prepared for us was excellent, the navigation in the wilderness was perfect and the Kotas & Cabins for the night were ideally located. I strongly recommend Chris if you want to design your own tour. And it was fun!

Date of experience: March 2016

It was a certainly a wonderful memorable tour. How can we ever forget the amazing sunset and the snow crowned trees of Ruuhitunturi, Salla. And the day you took over my forest kitchen! ;) Hah Hah.
Greetings