“An amazing Easter holiday!”
Review of Raffles Seychelles

Raffles Seychelles
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Takamaka
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We spent 5 nights in this hotel during the Easter holiday this year (5-11th April, 2012) with my husband and 2 small kids (2.5 years and 7 months old). While organizing our holiday I spent a lot of time and effort in finding the perfect hotel for us, we knew we want to go to the Seychelles but nothing closer. I’ve got the tip from a friend to go to Praslin and it turned out to be a really good choice. We always try to stay in a quality accommodation because once you spend so much money on a holiday you should not compromise on the place you stay in and Raffles matched all our expectations. Living now for almost 6 years in Dubai we have however certain experience with high quality service and I am also aware of that it all depends on the staff. All in all the staff is very friendly but not all of them are professional or they are real beginners in the hotel industry. Keep on smiling but forgetting things even after repeated requests etc. Some more details about the total experience:

Room
We had hillside villa no.281 which is one of the villas higher on the hill and the view was magnificent. I also can not complain about disturbance around the villa with passersby or buggies, but we explicitly asked about this in our bookings as we have small children. The design of the villa is very simple and minimalistic but contemporary and in my eyes beautiful. The bed is very comfortable with lots of pillows; our older child had a separate bed which serves as a sofa for other customers and that was also very comfy for her. They also put in an extra bed for our infant which was great. The walk in closet is very well planned, all our suitcases and clothes fitted in easily. The bathroom is beautiful and spacious and the view from the bathtub is amazing. The lighting system in the villa is a masterpiece itself. We always got enough bottled water and the Nespresso coffee machine was the highlight of our afternoons, shame that we had to ask every time we drank the coffee to have the capsules replaced, as the staff always forgot it.
Outside of the villa you have your own plunge pool which was a great place for our children; my daughter spent most of her time in there learning to swim while we could watch her from close. The terrace with the sundeck and seating area is really nice and useful, especially when you are with children and have to spend more time in your room. We did not feel restricted at all, because while our kids were sleeping inside we could have our privacy outside and enjoy the evenings.

Restaurants
Can not really write much about it because we only tried the seafood restaurant once, the ambience and the food was really nice. At the beginning of our stay we were having buffet breakfast in the main restaurant, which I must say was not a very well planned buffet. The selection of fruits and cold cuts was very limited, there were no fruit yoghurts and my daughter did not want to eat the home made sour tasting white yoghurt. It was also a bit hot in the seating area, not sure why they did not switch the air condition properly on. After 2 days the hotel experienced problems with the generators so the breakfast was shifted for the remaining time of our stay into the pool restaurant. And there the chaos started…. Even though I knew what they offered in their breakfast I was just not able to get normal bread. I was trying to explain to different waiters that we do not eat toast bread but fresh bread (which they head a really nice type on the above mentioned buffet breakfast) but they kept on bringing the toast bread to us. On the last day we received white round bread which obviously came from the freezer and was not completely defrosted. Frozen bread in Raffles??? That should never happen in this class of the hotel.
The waiters also had to be reminded more times about what we’ve ordered, always forgot something here and there and I was just not able to get any cream cheese and we were always served butter only. They also were not able to find the tray of the highchair for our kids, which we definitely used the day before in the same restaurant…very strange how can they misplace it? All in all the breakfast was a disaster and I think here Raffles have to improve the selection. I would also suggest that for such cases like ours (electricity shortfall and served bfst instead of buffet) introduce a menu so guests who never ate there know what to choose from. The waiters did not have many suggestions for the new guests.
The same restaurant was working much smoother during our late lunches (2-3 pm) which we had always here, as the sleeping time of our kids falls exactly to the lunch time and this was the only place we could get cooked food. The variety was fine, even though after 1 week it would be difficult to choose something new.

It is generally good; most of the staff was very nice and attentive even though as mentioned there was a little bit of chaos during the breakfast. The buggy service was working really well; we never had to wait more than 2 minutes for its arrival. This is a transportation tool you need to use here as the hill is quite steep for walking especially for kids.

Don't disturb
Please note that if you push the “don’t disturb” button, they will call you instead of ringing on your door. This was very inconvenient as we did not know this and every evening at 9 pm when both our children were sleeping the minibar responsible arrived to our door to replenish the minibar (which we did not use at all) and he either rang on the door or called into our room where 3 phones were simultaneously ringing and waking up our children. You can imagine how upset we all were, but the same repeated itself the next evening. So at the end we did not use the button and let them rather ring the door as that one was the least disturbing. In any case I do not understand why this service is meant to be done at 9 pm? Everybody has a butler responsible for the villa so the person should know if there is a family with little kids staying in the villa, so evening time is not suitable at all.

Pools
Great big pool made of 2 sections, really long and great for swimming with a nice view.

Beach
The beach is nice although no chairs are permanently placed there and if you want to be there you have to ask for one to be brought there together with an umbrella. The beach is quite narrow; I guess this is the reason for not having chairs there. Here I feel they could have done a better job, many people would like to spend their day rather at the beach than in the pool.

Kids club
Although children below 4 years are not meant to be in the kids club alone they can still attend if one of the parents is there with them. The staff also organized an Easter egg hunting activity which was great for our toddler and we all enjoyed it.

Despite of those few negative things I described here the positives definitely weighted more and I can genuinely recommend this hotel as it is a real gem and beautiful. We enjoyed our holiday a lot and definitely would like to return to this nice place!

Room Tip: Hillside villas are a great option if you stay in one of the higher positioned ones
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Zuzana W
RafflesPraslin, Manager at Raffles Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear Resident,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us detailed feedback on your stay.

We are happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your spacious pool villa. The furnishings are truly comfortable and have a contemporary and fresh design. The outdoor seating area does provide a private area to enjoy the magnificent view, great to read that you appreciated this.

We are very sorry that you experienced that very frustrating power failure during your Easter holiday. We faced several challenges and over a period of 4 to 5 days, were unable to operate the breakfast restaurant and main kitchen including the in-house bakery. This initially resulted in a reduced selection of breakfast items and dining options; however it did improve during the week. We hope you felt that we communicated regularly with you on the situation and improvement efforts, such as the Euro 75 resort credit we provided all residents daily during this time.

Your points on Butler service are very well taken and we will review the standards and procedures. We always aim to improve or services and thank you for your valuable feedback.

We welcome you and your family to come back for yet another amazing Easter holiday with us!

Raffles Praslin Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We spent a long time searching for a relaxing holiday , looking at diffrent destinations Maldives , Mauritus etc. and then stumbled on this Hotel. We arrived on 6th April for a week and wow what a wonderful Holiday. If you are looking for a relaxing luxury holiday this is for you. The rooms are fantastic with each having its own plunge pool and sun deck. The Spa is sensational and the reasturants are ok. There are other fine resturants nearby so you are not stuck in one place, and island tours are great. Basically you will have to go a long way to better this experiance, and thank you to Simon ( the GM) and his team for making this a trip to remember.

Room Tip: Standard villas are better than most top rooms in other hotels. No need to upgrade here
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dubaiwebby
RafflesPraslin, Manager at Raffles Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Resident,

Thank you for sharing your great comments.

We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Raffles Praslin. One of the benefits of Praslin is that you can experience both the abundance of activities & excursions and also have the feeling of secluded tranquility.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

having dreamt of making a trip to Seychelles since long, I finally managed to muster courage to do it on my own, to take a much needed break from work and also to experience of the islands whose beauty has been talked of since eons...Thank God for my travel agent in Dubai who advised me on choosing Raffles on Praslin since i wanted a smaller island and did not want to love for 5 days on Mahe. Praslin is also more convenient for excursions to Le Digue and other islands so i think it was a god choice. The hotel itself though new and built in the modern style is beautiful and well planned, spread unobtrusively over several hills rolling down to the white sands of Anse Takamaka..the villas are all spread out offering the best in terms of view, dependent on your preference and budget. I was lucky to get a really good 1-bed villa high up on the hill that offered the most amazing and breathtaking view of the ocean from every angle. well, literally, the sun deck, the living area outside, the lounge infinity pool, the bedroom and the bath were in direct view of the ocean. The room itself is spacious enough and fitted with the most comfortable bed. The sofa at the end though could be replaced with a more comfie seater since you need to prop cushions since the back is quite straight. The rest, the lighting and controls beautifully thought of and convenientally located. thoughtful touched like a easel and sketch pad with drawing pencils really add to the thinking behind making the guests feel at ease and also providing a nice way of easing any moment of boredom (which is hard on a 5-day trip) or allowing the artistic side to emerge...in any case, the closets are spacious and deep and even come with a straw beach bag for the guests' use. the bathroom is another thing... there is also an outdoor shower and an indoor shower besides a tub. good choice of toiletries and fluffy towels. Btw the water was lovely and hot every time i showered unlike a review i had read on Trip advisor before. The steep location of the hillside villas and the overall resort's geographical positioning make buggies mandatory but the service is fantastic. they are there within minutes of calling in for one. Despite the fact that when i visited in early March the resort was near full occupancy because of an unexpected exodus of guests from the Italian cruiseliner that had stayed on in Seychelles, i never experienced any long wait to get around. Since a large part of the Cruise guests were at the hotel, they suggested that the other hotel guests partake their dinner at their signature seafood restaurant, Cureiuse named after the island right in front of the resort and a shortboat ride away. Being allergic to some seafood I however enjoyed most dinners feasting on the most delicious Red Snapper and other fish. The Tropical salad also deserves a mention as do the deserts that added a couple of pounds to my weight! I had chosen the half board option at the hotel and recommend this to others as well. Losean was open for breakfast and it was okay. the omelettes were prepared very well and the choice of fresh juices was good as was the home made yogurt but Raffles need to do something about their coffee. I also asked for a cappuccino at Cureiuse and it was disappointing..i guess that's something they should look into. Otherwise the food's good.. i also ordered Room Service for lunch one day and the chicken fajitas that were served in my villa were delicious.
The spa is amazing, done up in cream and greens the reception area is tranquil and beautiful, what i loved was the mother of pearl chiming chandelairs that made such beautiful music in the tropical breeze coming in from all sides of the reception that is open.. 13 treatment pavilions set in landscaped gardens around the spa reception including open air day pavilions are breathtaking and top notch. Not only are the spa beds the most comfortable ever they are also heated and greatly comforting if the guest so requires..I did indulge in a Caviar facial and their signature Pearl treatment and i must give full marks in terms of my expectations being met. Yulia the therapist from Indonesia was incredible.
My villa butler Brigette was also very efficient and helpful and i hold fond memories of her for infusing such warmth and welcome in her service. In fact, most of the staff including the Seychelloise were extremely welcoming and friendly..
The maitre de at Cureisue Thomas is a gem, he was most affable and helpful in terms of suggesting dinner options as well as offering advice on what to see..In fact, this being my first solo personal trip I was made to feel so much at ease that I have overcome my fear and apprehensions of traveling alone and feeling awkward..it does happen sometimes esp in a resort where most other guests are couples or families. Raffles does not allow you to get awkward and its a great place to go to for a short luxury break albeit affordable..
I must also mention that their small gym located near the spa was equipped with top cardio equipment as well as requisite weights etc and the best thing is that one can use it 24/7..you only need to call the front desk and ask them to open it in case its outside normal timings say late at night or earlier than 8 am..
The resort is a 10 minute drive from Anse Lazio the most beautiful beach ever and i absolutely loved my stay there, thanks to all the wonderful staff and especially The Resident General Manager Andrea whose helpfulness and warmth must do the Raffles House proud..till i go back again, i will always think of my holiday in the happiest terms..

Room Tip: ask for the panoramic villas. the staff are very accommodating ask them for excursion tips etc.. als...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank faryal2012
RafflesPraslin, Manager at Raffles Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear Resident,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We are thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed you stay with us at Raffles Praslin.

Whether you travel as an individual or a group, it is our aim to give you a residential feeling. We are proud our team has shown you heartfelt and caring service during your stay, and have shared your lovely comments with everyone.

It’s great to read you took time to discover our award winning Raffles Spa. The luxurious Caviar facial treatment and the Signature Pure Pearl Body treatment are some of the many wonderful experiences we recommend.

Thank you for your feedback on the coffee and the cappuccino, we are always looking for ways to improve.

We welcome you to make the short journey and visit us again soon. We truly enjoyed having you here and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Raffles Praslin is another great new Raffles property.
The hotel is very well located on Praslin island. 10min from Ferry port and 20min from Praslin airport.
"Before I did the booking I was bit unsure due many other strange tripadvisor comments. The resort is not matured enough and the service is not good. " Please believe me this is totally not the truth. There are enough plants, it is very green and the service is excellent.

After your drive you enter the resort and it is just amazing, You getting a "Wow" effect when you see the overview of the resort and the view down to the sea. Outstanding!!!
The hotel has about 87 villas with own little plunge pool on our balcony.

Rooms: Villa style on eighter Hillside or seaview
Very large rooms with a very modern interior, rainshower outdoor and indoor and of course great view down to the sea and the whole resort. All the room offers a buttler service.

Restaurants: 2 main restaurants with very yummy kittchen. I suggest to try all the fresh seafood. My fav. Whole fresh Red Snapper from the Indian Ocean. "Catch of the day"

Leisure: Fantastic 2 infinity pools. ( with 50m the largest in whole Seychelles)
Beach: Small but nice. "Little Lazlio beach" The bad thing if you walk out in the water it is a bit rocky on the ground. Carefull where you step with your feets.

Daily complementory activities are offered: Like Beachsoccer, aqua fit, Boccia, hiking etc....
If there are not enough guests to join, they will organise some staff which play with you.
I only missed a tennis court and maybe some watersport activities. (Even there is a partnership to a close hotel which has some sport activities)

Service: The whole staff is very friendly and helpfull. They do all for you!
24h buggy service within the resort. Due the property is on a hill the ways are not flat and very high degree up and down. Buggy service is very quick after you called the operator.

The only little weakpoints:
-The houskeeping will not refresh the Nespresso coffees. You have to tell them each time.
-Outside activities which are organised from the hotel like: Excursions or island trips, boat rentals are totally overpriced. Therefore I suggest to go individual.
-Some of the villas can be overlooked and the privacy feeling gets bit lost.
-Breakfast: Average selection and waiters are has not good overview. They didn't asked us for coffee or tea. And as we ordered coffee it tooks more than 5min.
-E-Mail communication at the booking was not very well. (Many ping pong e-mails)

If I come back to Seychelles I will defenatly choose again Raffles Praslin!!! Big THANKS and well done for making my stay so unforgetable!!!!! Wish you all the best and many success

Room Tip: Please take the seaview rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank UAEmate

Dear Resident,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

The spectacular view from the resort truly does have a “wow” effect! We are very happy that you enjoyed the panoramic views and are delighted that you had a memorable stay with us at Raffles Praslin.
Our Curieuse Seafood Restaurant features a menu full of scrumptious seafood dishes. The delicious Whole Red Snapper is the signature dish of the Chef’s, and they were thrilled to hear it is your favorite.
Thank you for your constructive feedback in regards to housekeeping, excursions, breakfast, and e-mail communication. We always want to improve and welcome your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 3 March 2012

As other reviewers have mentioned privacy is a problem and if, like us , you are used to villa style 5 star resorts you will hve a problem here. We sat in our outside seating area and looked directly at a rather loud american sitting opposite us looking dirctley ino out area. Some of the villas are overlooked by the road and people do stop and look down on the resort. We complained and were moved to one that was not overlooked and with a fabulous view. The villas are very well appointed and live up to 5 star standards
The staff were exceptional.
The whole resort has a grey feeling about it and it was clearly the designers favorite colour. If you like that type of stark, minimalist stuff then you will be ok here, We get that back in England and want to be cheered upon holiday by more vibrant welcoming colours like those we now have in the Banyan Tree on Mahe.
The food did not measuree up at all. We dined once in the evening. I am happy to pay for good food and understand the need for 5 star hotels to filter their customers by keeping the proces high but you still expect something special for that price. We did not find it at the hotel but ate very well in the local resturants..

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ken T

Dear Resident,

Thank you very much for your time, feedback and comments after your recent stay.

I was delighted to see that you found our staff and people here exceptional and that they responded swiftly to your concerns. Exceptional, heartfelt and genuine service is what we all strive to deliver.

Concerning the privacy of the villas, it is true that when the hotel opened the vegetation had not grown yet due to the unfortunate drought we were facing at that time. This has evidently played a key role in creating the privacy within each villa. However, the vegetation has quickly responded after the rain we have lately received and looks now like a botanical garden. We have a dedicated landscaping team in house who actively works on the land to strategically place trees between the villas to provide more privacy. In addition to this, we have invested in more vegetation and as well working on placing a screening system.
However, the uniqueness of the property is the spectacular views, which is the main reason why people stop and look from the road as it is now one of the most breathtaking spots in the Island.

Thank you as well for your feedback on the food, it is important for us to know our areas of improvement. Although, I would be eager to know in which restaurant you dined as we are normally praised and congratulated specially at the Curieuse Restaurant.
Your criticism is very important to us and helps us improve on a daily basis, we are thankful that you have taken the time to express your experience.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Facilities and services can be very nice, beach too but I can't endorse such a behavior to the island and the islanders. Thumbs up too for the authorities who tolerate this. The Raffle is located on half of the hill to such an extent that the landscape from the other side of the bay is totally disfigured. From anse petite cour it looks like more has one favelas than one luxury facility. For guests’ pleasure they even diverted the peaceful coastal road to avoid local traffic in between the hotel and the beach. The new road is now all around the hotel with such hard slope that riding the public bus on it is much more impressive than any Disneyland attraction. I bet it'll have many accidents. Hope that this will not compromise the tranquility of customers.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank Gentleman N
Raffles2011, Guest Relations Manager at Raffles Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Resident,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed our services and beach.

In regards to your concerns mentioned about the vegetation, I wanted to take this opportunity to share with you all the contribution "green friendly" Raffles has offered since the opening as well as the ongoing projects for the near future.

Firstly at the Raffles Praslin we are happy to say that we have an active Green Committee led by our Landscaping Manager, you can follow all the latest news through our websites.

In addition, in the month of February we have been congratulated by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Environment, Transport & Energy with a "Certification of Recognition" for our active contribution in the conservation & management of "Wetlands of Seychelles," having 2 areas on site.

Furthermore, the hotel has invested greatly in new vegetation since the opening. In February last year the Residents in house participated in a ceremony where we planted the first 100 trees. This was a beautiful exercise that was shared among the locals who were invited. Proudly mentioning that at Raffles there was an additional investment for the planting of 3,000 new trees. We are honored that at Raffles we contribute in bringing back the nature in the area as 8 years ago the land suffered a serious fire. Nature life is now visible at Raffles.

Moreover, the former coastal road was a dirt road that has now been professionally redone and paved for anybody wishing to have a stroll next to the beach. The new road indeed surrounds the property but is now one of the most beautiful spots in Praslin to experience a magical and breathtaking view.

Last but not least, Raffles Praslin has partnership with SNPA ( Seychelles National Park Authority) for the preservation of the current Takamaka trees as they are dying due to a common disease. We are sponsoring the SNPA to hire more experts and resources to the success of the treatment.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is truly appreciative that there are residents like you that are concerned to the preservation of the environment. Your comments have been well received and hope you return soon to acknowledge our continuous green efforts.

Adelina Balbuena

Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is truly an amazing place. Raised high above the sea level with spectacular views of the nearby Seychelles islands. As mentioned in other reviews here, aim for the villas as high as possible for privacy. Most villas are one bedroom, but they are happy to accommodate an extra bed for children. The pictures are very realistic, so I didn't upload any.

The resort has very good facilities like spa, gym, pool. We splashed on spa treatment which was really expensive, but it was the best facial (Caviar) I've ever tried :), done by a Bali therapist.

The stuff are very helpful and kind, especially our butlers and drivers were really accommodating. They go an extra mile for the guests, ensuring at all times you are comfortable.

The only thing I'd point out is the poor quality and choice of fruits at breakfast (the only ones edible were grapefruits, melons and passion fruits). Poor choice of chocolates in the minibar - no dark chocolate. And inattentive waiting at the tables in the restaurants, mentioned here before. All minor things, really.

The most serious concern the management has is the punctured panoramic windows, though. If the weather didn't allow for windows open wide, the spectacular views would be obscured in our villa, but also some others, as far as I could see.

Overall, though, an amazing, trianqual place. We loved it.

BTW. La Digue and Vallee de Mai are really worth a visit. Don't miss on those!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Euridice

Dear Euridice,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our team always enjoys receiving comments and I will share these with them, especially with your butler and therapist. I know that they will be thrilled to hear that they contributed to your stay.

We have taken note of and appreciate greatly your constructive suggestions, certainly they help to continue improving.

We very much look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Le Duc de Praslin
Le Duc de Praslin
#3 of 11 in Anse Volbert
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suites
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suite...
#1 of 1 in Anse Bois de Rose
Six Senses Zil Pasyon
Six Senses Zil Pasyon
#1 of 1 in Felicite Island

Been to Raffles Seychelles? Share your experiences!