“Woodpecker yurt was pleasant but felt a little neglected”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mount Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Great Horkesley
Mount Hall
Bushey, United Kingdom
“Woodpecker yurt was pleasant but felt a little neglected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We like our privacy but it felt odd not meeting the owners at any point. We did see a gentleman in the garden a couple of times but he didn't introduce himself/talk to us, apart from an initial muted hello. The yurt was a charming bedroom and I enjoyed using it's log burner and the fire pit outside. The indoor kitchen and bathroom facilities were convenient and pleasant, though the kitchen felt neglected (nice art above the food prep area but dirty and needed to clean them; chipped and cracked mugs; chipped plates, one of which cut my hand; battered frying pan). We enjoyed using the table tennis and swing ball but the 2nd bike wasn't repaired and returned, as promised. Annoying, as this was one of the deciding factors in booking with them. Though this is a pleasant rural location, there is some traffic noise. I'd rate them as good but this option isn't provided.

Room Tip: Recommend eye masks and ear plugs to block out the light and bird song! Even on the warmest of days...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
EllieCarbutt, Owner at Mount Hall, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback Nicola. I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable that we didn't see each other whilst you were here but that is generally how the yurt works and all the feedback I have received up until now has been positive on that front. I have a feeling that the gentleman you saw was our neighbour who sometimes walks his dog across our fields so that is probably why he didn't introduce himself. I am generally always around and can be contacted at any time on my mobile and I am on hand to help guests with any queries or questions. I do apologise about the bike. I had terrible trouble fixing the puncture (not a great skill of mine!) and I was aware that you were out for the day so I didn't think you needed it (when I spoke to your husband about it I didn’t get the impression you wanted to use them) but with hindsight I should have double-checked. In the kitchen the frying pan has been replaced and the chipped plate removed. I would just add here that it is a kitchen in the garden so it has a rustic feel to it. We do also have a notebook in the kitchen so everyone can leave feedback directly with us and we always welcome all comments and suggestions from guests, which we read and take action on. We always welcome and appreciate feedback from our guests so thank you for your comments.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Very enjoyable stay...beautiful property, extremely comfortable beds, excellent breakfasts and we were made to feel very welcome even by newly resident and very cute little puppy! Located in a very attractive part of the Essex countryside either some great pub restaurants nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DougalR
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the amazingly cool (think nothing like a tent ) Woodpecker Yurt in the private garden next to the B&B. the yurt has wooden floors, a super comfy bed and log fire. There is an outdoor fire place, a separate kitchen and wet room. The garden is incredible, we picked fresh raspberries, pears, apples, lettuce, carrots, potatoes, beans and there's even a pumpkin patch. There are great walks in the area, we stumbled upon some local produce farms and huge apple orchards. Recommend this place in good weather if you want a country getaway!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank hwalker83
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed at Mount Hall on our way back from France so only stayed one night, however wished we could have stayed longer. We stayed in the Garden Room, which is attached to the main house, however has its own front door. The room was perfect: spotlessly clean, well appointed, wonderful bed linen and large comfortable bed. As the room was large it would make a perfect base to explore Suffolk/Essex for a few days as you could spread yourselves out. We ate at the The Crown in Stoke by Nayland which was fine, although about a 10 min drive away. Ellie's breakfast was one of the best we had on our entire holiday: cereals, fresh fruit, fruit juice and the best cooked breakfast I've had in a long while! I hesitate to recommend Mount Hall and Ellie too highly as there may not be room when we want to book again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs-Travel-a-lot
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed in the Garden Room with my Mum last weekend. Beautiful property, grounds and gardens. Ellie and James were lovely hosts. The Garden Room was great - really spacious, comfy beds - like staying in your own private cottage. Breakfast in the morning was great - especially the eggs from Mount Hall's hens! Would love to go back one day, and would heartily recommend to anyone looking to stay in the area. Evening meal at the Crown at Stoke by Nayland was also faultless.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

Although this classy old house is a bit tricky to find, it is in a lovely peaceful location not just off A12 or Colchester-Sudbury main road. Comfortable beds, good cotton/linen sheets etc. and updated bathroom. We stayed in Garden Room on ground floor which was roomy and had telly, tea making stuff. Friendly helpful couple and excellent healthy breakfast. Definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Oldwrinkly66
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

First impressions count. From the website to the tone of the email trail with Ellie arranging a special birthday break for Mrs Foxy, I knew I'd made the right choice with Mount Hall! Our 4 day visit merely confirmed I had!

What a gorgeous home in it's own immaculate grounds - you are made to feel more like friends of the family than paying guests. James and Ellie run a wonderful establishment with plenty of nice touches to ensure your break is as calm and peaceful as the setting. We stayed in the Garden room, a large space with King sized bed guaranteeing the most comfortable night's sleep. This room is part of an extension to the main Queen Anne house and James says it's hard to keep warm in Winter, however, in the height of a warm English summer, we had no problems. We had breakfast outside every day except one and what a feast it was too. Full English is superb, but Ellie's scrambled egg was just the best!

The house nestles deep in the Essex countryside and is tricky to find without GPS and/or good instructions. Although less than 10 mins drive from the centre of historic Colchester, I promise you will hear nothing in the early morning other than other than the sounds of birds. You are 15 mins drive away from Constable country and all the Olde villages reminiscent of a slower, more innocent English era. I was impressed and I'm a hardened cynic! This is country living as it should be.

Mount Hall represents serenity with homely warmth in a bygone age. Thoroughly recommended for a special visit or just passing by.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Mount Hall? Share your experiences!