“busy saturday night”

Ranked #7 of 47 Restaurants in Purley
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Dont listen to bad reviews ive been coming here for years went again last night and it was brilliant got a table quickly ordered the fantstic vina sol realistically priced at15 a bottle whole bill about £65 enjoyed gambas prawns the amazing ptatas brava sole goujons calamari and the best which is the aubergine bake ... I could live on this. Staff are best all deserve a great mention especially lauro I'll be back in a week or so well done !!!!!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I have been to this tapas bar and restaurant countless times over the years, always with family members, and have enjoyed every visit. I am truly puzzled by the negative comments from some people, especially about the service, although it is true to say that I have only ever been there on Saturday evenings, when it is always very busy, quite noisy, but with impeccable service from the many staff. If you like tapas, then the food is truly excellent, and the main dishes are equally good. This last time my favourite was the crab-stuffed baby sweet peppers, but it was hard to fault any of the food our party ate. None of the dishes are expensive.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had some tapas here recently, on a Friday without a booking. The restaurant was not full, but it wasn't creepily empty either. The menu did look quite varied and had lots of options, but unfortunately they didn't tell us any of their suggestions / specials for the evening. We also discovered that the descriptions on the menu weren't great - just some things much larger or smaller than anticipated, or very nearly the same dish when they did not list any of the same ingredients. The staff was very helpful and friendly, and the service overall was quite quick - no waiting around for them. The tiramisu was to die for - we actually ordered a second piece.
The place is clean, easy to get to, right by the parking garage, close to the train station and the bus line. The toilets were clean and on ground floor too, no stairs at all to get in. Overall, we were pretty happy!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I visited here with my girlfriend, sister and her fiance from their advise that when they had eaten here a few years ago that it was lovely and the food was great. Unfortunately we were all extremely disappointed. Firstly the service was appalling and we were not asked for the entire meal if we needed more drinks/bread or if the food was okay (which it wasn't). I had to raise my hand in the air and call someone to get their attention. The food came very quickly after we ordered which at first we thought was very good. Then my sister noticed them putting nearly every item in the microwave, including rice! Upon consuming the food we discovered probably 50% of it was frozen and probably the same quality that you would find in Iceland. The crab croquettes were so processed I felt sick after eating one. We then had to call someone over because one of our orders hadn't arrived (an extortionately priced beef skewer) and were told it wasn't written down on the order but they would get it straight away done medium rare. When it arrived about 15 minutes later the meat was raw, and still cold in the middle. I then had to find another waiter to send it back and asked them to now do it medium as they obviously don't know what medium rare means. A replacement came with a grumpy looking waiter who dumped it on the table. The meat was overdone and tasteless.

After this fiasco, even though we were still hungry, we asked for the bill only to find they had put a service charge on! Below they had written that it was voluntary which slightly conflicted with the waitress questioning why we wanted it taken off. We replied that the service didn't deserve a 6 pound tip and that one of our meals was missing and when it arrived it wasn't cooked properly.

I most definitely would not return here and advise the restaurant to remove their service charge then they would see how people really rate their service and food. I do not rate it highly at all.

1  Thank Nayzbee
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Very good service (though beware weekends it can be very crowded). Food is always excellent, and very reasonably priced. If you want a memorable evening out then look no further.

1  Thank Mike M