“Location, Location, Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Waipuna Hotel & Conference Centre
Whanganui
“Location, Location, Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My sister (19), brothers (11 and 15) and I had a wonderful experience at this hotel. We live in a village with a population of 400-500 people and we felt really safe at this hotel.
Waipuna Hotel's proximity to a train station was an advantage.. Actually, it was a huge advantage !!! we had to travel by train to Eden Park on a Saturday and Sunday.
Wonderful service; wonderful guests; wonderful environment; wonderful rooms; wonderful views at a wonderful hotel :)
I regret not staying longer to enjoy the facilities more..

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the Lagoon :)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Manono Uta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Every time I come to New Zealand and I stay in a hotel I always stay at the waipuna, I have seen the changes over they ears and the suites are getting redone, so looking very comfy, I was upgraded to the presidential suite once and the room was awesome, we'll done! The restaurant has good quality food, and a lovely view on the Basin. If you like exercising Waipuna has a gym and a great fitness trail around the basin reserve my favorite! Laundry too on the 3rd and 4th floors, the rooms are good size and the staff know me we'll because I always buy so many things to take back to Samoa! Miss u Waipuna have not stayed in a while although will return!

Room Tip: The suites are the best on the lake side, higher the floor the better view you have
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pune
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Good place by the lake n 15mins from downtown harbour. We had a comfortable stay and nice room. Bathroom is big and had a nice tub. Nicely lit room. Conveniently located from the city. Auckland is a great city as well and mount Wellington is 10 min drive from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
Baulkham Hills, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Tourist hotel with noisey guests arriving back from a bus tour at 2 am disrupts sleep patterns. We used the conference facilities and dissappointment is the only way to describe the hotel and its facilities.
Conference room was poorly air conditioned, we had to request a change of chairs (to hard to sit in all day). The morning and afternoon tea where perfect, the buffet lunch was average at best.
The room had been recently refurbished and was fine however one of the colleagues needed to move rooms as his was not just old and tired but included cockroaches and fleas.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Daron_Gray, Director of Sales at Waipuna Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel.
We appreciate your comments and will be discussing them as a team.

With regards to your colleagues room, the following action was taken.
Once this was reported to reception we moved the guest to another room and put the room out of order. A pest control company inspected the room and I can confirm that they could not find and infestation and gave the room the all clear.

Regards
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Received a very friendly welcome on arrival, quick check-in and a very comfortable and spacious room. Very quiet room, everything I needed. Had some problems getting the internet connection working but received very swift and cheerful support from front desk - even late at night.

Restaurant was very good indeed - both breakfast and dinner. Gym and pool were uncrowded and well maintained.

I would be very happy to stay at this hotel again anytime. Very good value compared to UK experience.

Room Tip: Some rooms face to the back and others face the water. I was at the back but it was very peaceful an...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Arce, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel's remote location constricts clients to relax utilizing their facilities but the poorly maintained, musty gym was unattended therefore became a playground for children. The pool was not maintained either thereby making the pond next door more inviting... Finally I decide to relax at the spa but found it not to be in service. Giving up on the recreational facilities I decide to relax at the hotels restaurant were the buffet is strongly recommended by the staff. I'm usually reluctant to partake in buffet dinners as the quality is low but I was told the buffet includes sushi and the price of nearly $50 for the meal alone convinced me otherwise. If McDonalds made sushi it would probably taste like theirs and the food was not only of low quality but poorly kept as it was soggy on the bottom and dried out on the top (as most buffets).
The tourist busses parked out front should be indicative of a budget hotel but the $200 for one nights stay says the contrary...

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

This would have been our first time staying at Waipuna after attending many weddings and day conferences in the function rooms in the past and we were really happy with our entire stay,

We selected a school holiday package for a quick 2 night stay with our small daughter. We had not planned early enough to get out of Auckland for the long weekend and opted to just stay somewhere local and Waipuna offering a really competitive rate for what we received, far better than anything else on the market. I actually half expected to make 'allowances' for the standard received or quality of facilities based on the rate paid but was pleasantly surprised. We opted for the Bureau room because our small daughter will not sleep in her own room just yet and this option had the best 2 bed configuration deal available for our late notice booking,

The bathroom is very modern and we could not hear an ounce of outside noise from within our room. The hotel itself was lovely and quiet, staff very warm and inviting, helpful though we needed minimal aid, we were happy to just lump around and enjoy our time off with each other. We did not manage to enjoy the pool area because of fabulous Auckland weather but it looked lovely, well kept and the gym facilities were good. The hubby did well and made sure he went down, despite my planning to head down, I just couldn't muster up the energy!

We had a buffet breakfast built into our accommodation package which was amazing. Plenty of options, hot and cold and we were pleased to note that while the compendium in the room stated breakfast is cleared at 930, the staff were gracious and left everyone eat well past this point.

We enjoyed the buffet dinner also - but are breakfast people so that was a highlight for us!

Only teeny tiny niggle is the Sunday night buffet was shown on the website and on documents within the room as having a magician on hand, when we arrived to dinner we learnt this was not on for the month of Jan and our daughter, whom we had spent the day explaining what a magician was, was rather disappointed but nothing to be really fussed over at all.

Overall, fabulous stay and I am already looking to bring my sister and daughter back for a girly weekend away and to test out the fabulous looking High tea with them!

Def worth a visit!

Room Tip: If your not to shy to request (as much as I travel I really hate to be a pain and ask for trivial th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
#5 of 68 in Auckland
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,963 reviews
Novotel Auckland Ellerslie
Novotel Auckland Airport

Been to Waipuna Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!