“Comfortable room and conference venue”

Waipuna Hotel & Conference Centre
Cambridge
“Comfortable room and conference venue”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was visiting for a conference and stayed as well. I had a ground floor room, nice size with two big beds and a bathroom with a huge shower (good water pressure) and also a bath.

Without heating the room felt slightly cold which I liked because I prefer to heat to my preference rather than try and sleep in a hot and stuffy room. Heat pump worked well and had a thermostat. The only niggle was that the clock radio proved impossible for me to set or adjust and I gave up and used the alarm on my phone instead.

I enjoyed the buffet breakfast and the evening bar menu and the conference catering was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
New Zealand
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My colleague and I booked a room here with an adjoining bedroom, which made it more cost effective than booking two totally separate rooms - we were very grateful for this as when I originally inquired I was told they don't have rooms with two separate bedrooms. The room was perfectly adequate for us.

The gym was a bit average, bit the option to run around the lagoon instead more than made up for it.

Dining was good - quality was acceptable as was the service. As always in these places the prices are pretty steep for what you get, and the thing that struck me as the most bizarre when you order eggs on toast as part of the express breakfast (not bad value at $15) was the toast doesn't come buttered, or even with butter on the side. When I asked about this I was simply told that it's "eggs on toast", not "eggs on toast with butter". Aside from that, the food at the evening buffet was pretty good.

The reception staff were very good, friendly and helpful.

Overall I think they've done a pretty good job of keeping the place reasonably fresh and updated with above average facilities and service.There is ample car parking too (no charge) which is greatly appreciated.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Perth Western Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Staff were very efficient when I arrived late at night. Room was comfortable, a bit limited. Very comfortable bathroom, you will have to pay for anything beyond horrid tea and coffee. The lift sounds like a dinosaur grunting every time it moves, but until late at night I didn't really notice it in my room which was not far away. Definitely set up for conferences rather than holiday makers. Breakfast very good, although I'm not sure it was great value unless you are hungry. Pleasant view. If you order tea, ask for extra tea bags,its a huge pot which is nice but its like dishwater! Dinner was horrendous! For dinner the buffet was awful, really not up to any expectations, boring selection, Sizzler would be better quality. They really need to improve it. Even the a la carte was only OK. Without a car you are limited with other options. I expected free WIFI, its pretty standard these days, so at $10 per day it is a bit of a pain. I sound negative... it is good, but could be better.

Room Tip: Be aware of the VERY noisy lift it is ancient and groans like a dying cow. Avoid dinner at all cost...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Daron_Gray, Director of Sales at Waipuna Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest

I am very sorry to read that you didn't enjoy the buffet dinner. Our feedback regarding dinner and food service in general, is overwhelmingly positive so sounds like you struck us on an off night.

Our lifts are serviced regularly and following your comments we currently have technicians in to ensure they are operating as quietly as possible.
We have also noted on your guest profile that you prefer a room away from the lifts if possible.

Happy to note that you enjoyed your stay overall and we look forward to welcoming you back to Waipuna in the future.

Regards

Daron Gray
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Getting into Auckland without having booked any accommodation, the reception staff here were able to get us a room for a good price. Initially only being able to book for the first 3 nights, the reservations manager was able to book us in for the rest of our stay (9 days total) and we were able to stay in the same room. Rooms are very clean, bathroom is very nice with housekeeping done daily. Beds are comfortable. A portacot was put into our room for our little one. My partner really liked using the pool and spa - which no one else used. Having a safe in our room was also a plus. We were able to have late check out - nothing was ever too much to ask for. Overall our stay here was pretty much perfect and every time we go back to Auckland, we will definitely be staying at Waipuna!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking lagoon.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Whitianga, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I stayed for the recent Lion's Convention. We found the reception pleasant and helpful and our room had all the facilities we required and was very clean and well presented. When we had a problem with accessing the internet, I went to the reception and the young lady on duty offered to come to our room to assist. Unfortunately she was not able to fix the problem even after calling their internet service provider and spending nearly 30 minutes on the phone to them. When I asked who was on duty at reception she said her boss was. Whilst the problem was not fixed in our room she offered an alternative which was acceptable. It was great to have caring staff on duty and most appreciated by us.

Cheviot, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 April 2014

It's been around for a while now, but is still functional and well laid out. There are plenty of facilities within the complex that make conferences easy and accessible.
Restaurants are okay - the staff are friendly and welcoming.
Walking distance to Sylvia Park shopping complex for those of us that like to shop.
Handy to public transport - and for those who like a little exercise the walk around the Panmure basin is a good workout.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the Basin. Not the prettiest when the tide is out - but worth it at othe...
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

An out of the way hotel, but I was attending a Conference there, so perfect for that. Bathrooms have been renovated beautifully with big full size bath. Service is polite and functional but it is not a hotel looking to go out of its way to better a customer's experience. Good value for money, clean and functional rooms, courteous service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Wellington
#5 of 67 in Auckland
Quality Hotel Parnell
Quality Hotel Parnell
#17 of 67 in Auckland

Been to Waipuna Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!