“ATTENTION TO DETAIL”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newlands
Seascale, United Kingdom
“ATTENTION TO DETAIL”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Our trip was booked late and thank goodness we choose Swinside Lodge. The setting is beautiful, the Hotel spotless and staff excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay with fabulous meal which you would be hard pressed to match in any top class restaurant.

The attention to detail in this Hotel is second to none, everything that could be thought of to make your stay special has already been thought of and done, thank you so much for our relaxing stay with fanastic service, food and finishing off with perfect breakfast.

The owners of this Hotel are friendly and professional, we look forward to visiting again soon, many thanks Jakki & Paul Barratt - 17th September 2011

Room Tip: We booked late and as the Hotel is so well used and booked up regularly, we had a double room - if w...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Forfar, Scotland
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Situated in our favourite spot in theLlake District, away from the crowds providing super food and good friendly service. Cat Bells and associated hills on the doorstep; leave the car behind.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ReeceForfar_Scotland
Cumbria
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We chose this Hotel last minute for a near to home break having cancelled a trip to China because of illness.
This was a wonderful three night break with Mike and Kath looking after us very well. Nothing was too much trouble and the food was sublime. The chef was happy to accommadate our dietry needs at short notice which was very helpful. At predinner drinks we met some very interesting people.The standard of cleaniness was the best I have ever seen in a hotel and the attention to detail was first class.

I would be happy to book again for a short break whatever the Weather!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the house have good views of the Hills
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Leek
Reviewed 10 September 2011

A snap decision had me looking for a secluded hotel, an inspiring location and somewhere where I could enjoy a bit of self-indulgence and the great outdoors. I'd pretty much decided on the Scilly Isles, could get a flight, but couldn't find a hotel with availability - a lucky break as it turned out.

Swinside has a perfect location at the entrance to the Newlands Valley, at the foot of Catbells, a few minute’s walk from Derwentwater, the jetty for the Keswick launch, and an hour's flat stroll into Keswick. It stands in its own Lakeland greenery with few other residences dotted around the landscape - you'll need to look hard to find them. To add some icing, there's a good old fashioned real ale pub just ten minutes’ walk away - the sort that readily welcomes muddy boots onto clean carpets.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect - perhaps it would be a bit too high class and formal for me, and I'd feel uneasy in a hotel winning such accolades? No worries. Mike met me when I arrived, and he was welcoming, interested and keen to make sure I felt completely at home.

I stayed in the Chestnut, one of the smaller rooms. It's not the best room I've ever stayed in, but for context better than the vast majority and perfectly comfortable. The decor was good, and the view of Catbells and the Newlands great. My judge of a hotel room tends to be the shower - very good in this case. I did get to see one of the rooms at the front, facing Skiddaw and Blencathra. I'd definitely recommend for couples - serious brownie points.

Dinner. I'd read the reviews and knew the food would be special but found that my expectations weren't high enough. Four nights of consistently brilliant and different food. I didn't know mushroom soup could be such a delicacy. Both Kath and Laurent were attentive and personable - no stuffy formality. For a Frenchman, Laurent has a great sense of English humour ;-). It is high class dining, but if you've seen Pretty Woman you'll be quite at home and able to work out which cutlery to use.

The wine list is extensive, but if you want beer with your meal, that's ok.

Kath was very knowledgeable about the local area, providing both advice and maps on walking routes and information about places to visit. Particularly memorable will be her demonstration one night, of the correct way to use walking poles.

I could say lots more. The whole experience is welcoming, the decor in the common areas fantastic and the two lounges comfortable and restful. I didn't get to meet Clive, the chef, but would like to use this review as a virtual shake of the hand, and would like to thank Kath, Laurent and Mike for ensuring that my stay was so wonderful.

I started this review with and explanation of how I came by Swinside. Uncharacteristically, and because of circumstance, I didn’t check TripAdvisor. Now back home, I’ve looked at other guest comments. There are five which rate this hotel as average. Of course Swinside may have had an off-week, but I’ve been around a bit – I’d suggest that these people take the time to take a real good look at themselves. I expected a good experience, good food and a good location, and I got more than I expected.

I'll have absolutely no reservation about recommending Swinside to anyone, and hopefully will be back when the occasion calls.

Thank you.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RossiniKervene
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Brillant location, fabulous food and wonderful service! Mike, Kath and family, plus Lauren welcomed us and ensured that we felt at home and pampered throughout our stay. The food was exquisite for both veggy and meat eater. We received valuable tips on walking conditions and local walks.
Cleanliness was to the highest standard.
Other than the food, our highlight was relaxing after dinner in the rear lounge listening the fantastic vintage (45's) Juke Box whilst enjoying a 15 year Balvennie!

2 Thank DH237
Cambridge
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Everything was perfect and we really enjoyed our 2 night break .Our room was fantastic, very roomy, large bed,comfortable and clean. The downstairs lounges were also very comfortable and beautifully decorated and the hospatility was first class. We had pre- dinner drinks and then moved on to the wonderful dining room and the food was to die for! Every course was delicious fresh quality food, if only we could take the chef home with us! The setting of the hotel is excellent too just a short stroll to derwent lake and an adventure climbing up catbells and thank you Kath and Mike for the jugs of iced water, local map and the loan of the rucksack. We will be back.

2 Thank Annyalla
Birmingham
Reviewed 25 August 2011

When booking, my partner and I were a little concerned by the 2 star rating of this hotel. However, these fears were totally unjustified. This is high class accommodation serving top end food with attentive, helpful staff and managers.
It’s a small hotel in an isolated, but easily accessible location. This means that the “atmosphere” in the dining room at night is very much dictated by the nature of the people in residence at the time. Over the three nights we stayed it ranged from formal to very friendly. Nevertheless, fellow guests aside, you will not be disappointed by this hotel and, like many others, we thoroughly recommend it.

1 Thank Snow-gnome
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#3 of 12 in Keswick
Highfield Hotel
Highfield Hotel
#6 of 12 in Keswick

Been to Swinside Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!