“Charming character property in a stunning location”

and 1 more site!
Swinside Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newlands
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Charming character property in a stunning location”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

This is a beautifully presented property run by attentive owners. The food was excellent. The location close to Catbells was ideal. The room was comfortably furnished and very clean. My only reason for not awarding five stars was the shower which for my taste would have benefitted from more pressure. Other than that it is a hotel I recommend and will probably revisit.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gordon B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This time last week I was still under the impression my partner and I were camping for a long weekend to celebrate my birthday. I enjoy camping but I was utterly delighted to discover when pulling into the Swinside Lodge driveway that this was going to be our home for three nights.
Set at the foot of Catbells and on the doorstep of the stunning Newlands valley, the Swinside Lodge is beautifully unique.
Externally the house is very well presented, smartly pretty, and surrounded by a beautiful garden. Inside, everything is pitched perfectly. Comfortable and sentimental but with a quality and professional finish; our bedroom too was lovely and cosy and with absolutely fantastic views of Skiddaw and Blencathra.
The food was beautiful and their full Cumbrian breakfast kept us going all day on our 9 mile walk over the fells, during which my partner and I got engaged!
Mike and Kath are wonderful hosts and went above and beyond to help my partner make this a weekend we will never forget.

We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GigiWeath
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Reasonable looking hotel in a beautiful setting. However, not quite sure whether it is a Hotel wanting to operate as a B&B or a B&B aspiring to operate as a Hotel.
Food was of a decent offering although portions not particularly generous. Furthermore, the regimentation of dinner and fixed menu took a bit of getting accustomed to. This aspect reminded me of school dinner life.
Room was on the small side.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Philip M
mjbkb, Owner at Swinside Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for the review following your recent stay with us but give me strength!

I'm not quite sure what part of the hotel description you did not understand when booking - HOTEL ( B&B not advertised or offered), FIXED FOUR COURSE DINNER ( changing on a daily basis with dietary requirements carefully catered for), FINE DINING ( voted in the Top 3 Restaurants in Cumbria for Fine Dining). For what reason would you be confused as to whether it is a Hotel or B&B given the above!

Your heading states 'Grossly Overpriced' but compared to what. Having been complimented many times both in print on these pages and face to face by guests regarding perfect sized portions for walkers and non walkers alike I find your comment a bit of a throw away probably to fill some space. If, as I suspect , your preference is for man sized portions, plate overflowing then that is definitely not what to expect here at the Lodge. In these situations, when on departure, you were very complimentary to me about your stay I suppose I'm a little too long in the tooth these days to wonder why, as is always the case, that something however disappointing could not have been said to me personally.

Interesting that you found your room on the small side - I presume that is indicative of you choosing the smallest room at the cheapest latest deal on offer when making your reservation, and following that with a complaint!

I was left with the thought from the foregoing that your review was a 'wind-up' - I would have preferred constructive criticism or any criticism face to face but was left with a feeling that it did nothing for me. If you ask what did I learn from your comments for the mutual benefit of future guests then unfortunately it was Zilch!

To close and picking up on your school theme, my old headmaster used to say that if you had nothing constructive to contribute to a conversation then don't bother with the drivel - I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have got on with him too well
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This beautiful hotel is at the bottom of Cat Bells and about a 2 minutes walk away from Derwentwater Lake.

We stayed in the Oak Room which is at the top of the hotel on the 3rd floor and the view from our window was stunning. The room was lovely, clean and bright and we even had our beds turned down for us at night.

Mike and Kathy were wonderful hosts and were very helpful when recommending where to go and what to do whilst we were there. Mike also supplied us with maps of the areas he recommended, and the time before this, Kathy gave us a couple of walking sticks for our walk when going up Cat Bells.

There are 2 lovely sitting rooms downstairs, one which we used in the evenings for drinks and canapés before dinner and one at the back where you can sit and read (there are shelves full of books), or just look out at the views.

Clive the chef definitely needs a mention on here also. His food was sublime. The hotel boasts a 4 course fine dining experience and that is definitely what we experienced.

We will definitely be returning to this beautiful place again next year (as we realised 4 years had passed since we were last there).

Room Tip: We stayed in the Oak Room which was on the 3rd floor, but a few more steps after a walk around the f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank xxCheekyFacexx
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely reception on arrival. Room was clean and we'll kept. The decor downstairs is excellent and inviting.
The food and service at the Swinside is second to none and I asure that if you were to stay here you wouldn't be disappointed

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 183005
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Sat Nav took us straight to the door nice reception from Mike and Kath.
Food always excellent and breakfast will keep you going all day
Easy access to Derwent Water. All other Lakes within max 20 mile drive.
Round the corner from Hotel is the entrance way Cat-Bells and beyond.
A must for bird watchers
An excellent weeks holiday 12/7/14
Martin and Rosemarie

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martin M
Cambridge
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We have recently stayed at Swinside Lodge for 3 nights with our dog. We all had an excellent break (including the dog!!). We were made to feel very welcome and both Kath and Mike were excellent hosts.

Our room, (Cherry) was up on the second floor which was great for us as we wanted to keep our dog out of the way and we had lovely views out of the front of the hotel. There is a small area of the room that is in the eaves which added to the charm of the room but for anyone who wanted lots of space, I would probably recommend a room on the first floor. The bed was comfortable and the room was always cleaned very well.

The lounges and the dining room were well presented and the evening drinks and canapes allowed for a chance to catch up with other guests on their experiences and tips of where to go.

The food was excellent. We were a bit unsure how we would cope with having a set menu. This was not a problem at all. In fact it enabled us to try things we probably wouldn't order in a restaurant and realise how enjoyable they were. There was a good choice of wines for all tastes and budgets. Similarly breakfast was also excellent. There was a great choice and everything was cooked freshly.

We will definitely return on our next visit to the Lake District. The location of this hotel is great for all levels of activity and we didnt use the car once.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pipersfury
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale
Mary Mount Hotel
Mary Mount Hotel
#3 of 12 in Keswick

Been to Swinside Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!