Hotel Gabbiano
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Hotel Murmann(Maratea)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I've just got back from our 3rd visit to the Gabbiano. We can't resist going back because this hotel is in simply the most stunning location in Italy, and it is very peaceful and relaxing. It is true that you don't go there for the size of the room, but the room has everything you need in it, and it is all spotlessly clean. The staff work very hard to keep it this way. The service in the dining hall has to be seen to be believed when Pino the Maitre d'hotel is there. Waiters in uniform pour your wine with one arm behind their back in the way they have been trained to do it. It's a step back in time to a world that has almost gone. The food quality has varied over the years I've been going there. It was excellent the last two times, but less good this year. Pino's expertise was sadly missing this year, as he has had an accident on a moped. We wish him a full recovery. But all the waiters were quick to assure us that he'll be back - the man is a genius of how things should be done. Yes, it is true you surrender your car keys to allow the staff of the hotel to figure out the parking puzzle. But we have never had a problem with this - they're all great drivers and can manage the manoeuvring better than I could. I go to this hotel because the minute I hear the waves crash outside my bedroom window, and see the dramatic landscape from my balcony, I am transported into a world of relaxation that I struggle to find in my busy working life. Three cheers for the Gabbiano and its wonderful staff! I'm sure I'll be back again.

Room Tip: Try to request a room NOT in the corner, otherwise you will be overlooked.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2011

As others have said this hotel is a bit older, but it is spotlessly clean, well-maintained and well managed by a team of extremely friendly, helpful staff. Rooms are small but quite adequate. Bathroom was small but spotless, everyday. Cleaning staff works hard at making sure everything is clean and spotless. We had room overlooking the sea. Fantastic. We had the package of mezza pensione and the meals were average to very good. The breakfast was quite good. Had everything you would want for breakfast on the buffet, save for eggs and bacon or sausage. The location of the hotel is superb. Right on the water. You can swim in the sea (daily charge for lettini and umbrellone) or in their swimming pool (no charge). WIth your car (free parking is included) it is also easy to drive to Maratea or Marina di Camerotta etc. This is a beautiful location. I would think that it is best in May or June or September. I would try to avoid July and August due to the crowds of people on vacation during that period.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We stayed here for one night on a driving tour of Southern Italy. We wouldn't usually have chosen it because the standard package includes an evening meal and eating in local restaurants is part of what we like to do but there wasn't anythingthing else on the doorstep (we like a glass or two of wine with a meal so driving somewhere wouldn't be high on our list of compromises).
Everything was clean and well maintained, views were stunning and falling asleep to the sound of the sea was great.
The evening meal ..... well it was alright but nothing out of the ordinary for Italian food.
Staff were professional and polite.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

This is an older hotel. The age shows in the layout, signage and decor. It is spotlessly clean, and everything was in good repair. The furnishings and linens are sparse. The view is spectacular. The restaurant is very very good. The staff is very friendly and eager to please. The location is serene. We would love to go back whenever we get the chance!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmberBW6
Reviewed 30 June 2010

The hotel is basic - room furnishings are minimal and there's a distinct 70s air about the decor in the lobby, but, and this is the crucial thing, it is spotlessly clean, well-maintained, and well managed by a team of extremely friendly and welcoming staff. The hotel is in a village a few kilometers outside Maratea, in a remote and rugged stretch of the Basilicata coastline, and has its own beach, which is stony but beautiful. We really loved the out-of-season peace and isolation. Plus the restaurant was excellent - particularly the fish.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family