“Just what we wanted!!”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Epsom
London, United Kingdom
“Just what we wanted!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I return home to NZ every year and this time we weren't staying with family, needed somewhere for a total of 20 nights and this is EXACTLY what we needed. I was traveling with my 3 year old daughter so needed somewhere where we could cook our own meals so we didn't have to eat out all the time, somewhere to do our washing and with Internet access. I couldn't complain about anything. The unit was extremely comfortable with a lovely comfy bed and dining area and clean ensuite bathroom. Very close to Newmarket and parking for our hire car. The owners even let me leave luggage there for 6 days while we traveled to the south island in the middle of our stay. Brilliant to have a seperate bedroom so when daughter went to bed I didn't disturb her while I was watching TV in the lounge. Will definitely stay again and would recommend it to anyone wanting a hassle free stay in central Auckland.

Room Tip: No fitness center, pushed wrong button
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Aimiel S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
KERIKERI
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Do not stay here if you value your space and like cleanliness, bedding and towels clean, facecloths should be dusters , paintwork and walls not clean, rubbish left under bed from previous occupier,very cramped for four people, described as a family suite, just a normal suite with two extra beds crammed in, dining table very very sticky, when i washed it a huge amount of dirt came off but the table remained sticky, , the proprietor said that the glass had been broken and that they normally had a cloth on it ( yeah right ) that does not account for the dirt coming off it, The blinds did not close properly as they seemed to be broken and a light fixture was also broken.
Yes ! the kitchen is fully equipped and you can just about squeeze into it to make a sandwich, We complained to the proprietor that we were not very happy with the place, he came down to our unit and offered us a refund so that we could leave if we wanted to, we could not get out of there fast enough, so we accepted his offer and went in search of a better motel, unfortunatly the proprietor reneged on the new verbal contract that we had with him and he cancelled the cheque, what more can i say about this person, our girls weekend away turned into an expensive nightmare. What has happened to the standards of some of these motels, they should be checked over before being advertised and for goodness sake do not believe what you see in the pictures.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank TROPHYKerikeri

Travellers are raving about these Epsom hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 November 2010

After a long flight from Washington DC to Auckland I was grateful to be met by Francis at 6:45 on Sunday morning and shown to my room (I was not charged for the morning and my room charges commenced from Sunday night). My room was comfortable, quiet and clean, and well-serviced for the 11 days that I stayed there - and the subsequent three days when I returned after visiting Wellington. While I was away I was able to leave possessions safely in my room, as it was retained for me until I returned. Francis was very helpful in many ways during the whole period of my stay, and in particular helped me set up my computer for the internet service when I arrived (as technically I struggle with such matters). The motel is well located and has good access to public transport services, Cornwall Park, Newmarket and down-town Auckland. I have stayed In this motel once before (June 2008), as have my sister and cousin from the UK (February 2009), and we have all been happy with the service and value for money provided. Thank you Francis....I look forward to staying at Ranfurly Evergreen Motel again some time.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank Tessa84
Hamilton
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We checked into the Ranfurly Evergreen Motel and were impressed at its presentation. The owner, Francis was very friendly and even went out of his way to tell us the attractions of the city and book us in for various attractions. The room was clean and the service we received was excellent, and the location of the motel was quite good to tour around Auckland. The price for the room was reasonable as well, the expected price range of motels. The motel is placed slightly outside of the main street, so our group managed to sleep peacefully through the night.
While the motel might not "wow" you, it does its job of being a place where you can relax after a long day of travelling. I would definitely recommend this place to future travellers who are looking for a place to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank AmniaMug
NEW ZEALAND
Reviewed 20 February 2010

I have stayed in better places in 3rd world countries and found more helpful people in Moscow last year and I couldn't even speak Russian...! Operators like this are not needed in tourism...the place is filthy and the operators attitudes need adjusting.

Like the previous review I was made to follow the manager to my room on check out for a room inspection..! When I said no he said I must come and for what...nothing missing, nothing broken. If they were average would have stayed 2 nights..but no booked out and moved a few blocks away. Wasn't going to give them anymore of my money.

Rooms are not cleaned - rubbish bins were not even emptied?!

Reception / customer service is the worst I have experienced in a LONG TIME.....

I would sleep in my truck or under a tree in Cornwall Park before going back there.....

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank kili04
NardsNapier
Reviewed 4 February 2010

We are sorry to see the previous review of these moteliers as we have just had a very positive experience in our dealings with them. A genuine misunderstanding over a booking arose and once the matter was explained as to how the misunderstanding occurred then Francis and Theresa Baek were quick to respond in a favorable manner and achieve an outcome that was greatly appreciated. Well done Francis and Theresa, our thanks, you have restored our faith in honest business people. We wish you well with your bookings and have no hesitation in recommending other travellers to you

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank NardsNapier
New Zealand
Reviewed 21 January 2008

I have never written a review before-as I have never felt moved enough to do so, but from the get-go our stay at the Ranfurly motel defied belief. Firstly, all prospective customers of the Ranfurly should be aware that the cancellation policy on the motels website is, according to the manager, able to be changed at his discretion without amending the one being displayed on their online booking site or, anywhere else on their website. Not only that, but Francis (the manager/owner), informed us that they are not obliged to verbally instruct potential customers of changes either.

Secondly, for some reason the room bill was charged before we had checked out. The owner took the liberty to charge the credit card number we had given him (as you do) for security! I want to make it clear that this had never been discussed, and no preapproval had been given for him to do this. To make things worse, for some reason he had overcharged us for our stay by $105. To amend his mistake he preceded to issue us a cheque as reimbursement for the amount. When we asked if he could put it back on the credit card instead as we did not want to walk around with a cheque for the rest of our holiday (a cheque made out in my name that would take five days to clear), it became obvious that he did not know how to do this. (Although this was not admitted and no apology was given).

Finally, to add insult to injury, when we were checking out, we were told to stand outside the motel room so that the owner could inspect the motel for any damages etc... (of course there were none). We found this to be very strange behaviour that made you feel like you were taking part in a prison or military inspection, rather than checking-out of a motel as a paying customer. It is a very strange place, and in hindsight if you want to experience a truly unique motel with its own set of practices that are sure to make you laugh (when they aren't making you extremely frustrated and confused then the Ranfurly evergreen motel might be the place for you. Currently, we are talking to our bank about the unauthorised charges that were made, and also with the NZ motel association to see if something can be done to stop these practices from carrying on at the Ranfurly Evergreen motel.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank tas51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Epsom
Kiwi International Hotel
Cornwall Park Motor Inn
Auckland Newmarket Motel
Auckland Newmarket Motel
#60 of 67 in Auckland

Been to Ranfurly Evergreen Motel? Share your experiences!