“A standing favorite in my book”
Review of Dolphin Bay Resort

Dolphin Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Sam Roi Yot
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Having stayed at Dolphin Bay Resort many times, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing spot to get away. The area is calm and uncrowded, except for the weekends when party buses may cruise by, but overall a peaceful place for families with kids. The beach is not a party area, it's pretty clean and safe. The hotel grounds certainly caters to families with young kids. There's an open lawn with a playground area and a huge kids' pool.
The restaurant is open and spacious, next to the pool and opens toward the beach. The food is pretty good and recently the menu had a 'face-lift' with some nice international additions. Breakfast buffet is very good. The staff is friendly and helpful- a definite high point! I've found the staff very accommodating and hospitable. I'd recommend the Thai massage at the hotel. The beach is directly across the street and the pool is nice. Rooms are pretty standard and basic, and the wifi is a bit spotty, but it's free.
I'll definitely be returning to this spot as long as I travel to Thailand.

Room Tip: The bungalows are quaint with a shared porch area. The rooms upstairs have a private balcony which i...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 423erinw

Reviewed 27 January 2014

It is an incredible location-right on the beach! They have made a lot of changes in the past year, to the menu, spa, and to the site! The upgrades have been great, and I was super-impressed! The Thai Staff are friendly and do aim to please! I would highly recommend DB for families, and also for singles traveling alone-as you don't have to worry about sex-trafficking here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jendo317
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I definitely recommend The Dolphin Bay Resort located in a beautiful and unique site in Thailand. I have spent 10 days Dolphin Bay Resort in December with my family between Christmas and the New Year, I had the 2 bedroom suite freshly renovated in the building toward the garden.

Being used to travel in hotels with highest standard in Thailand, I have to say that I was impressed by the quality of the room after the renovation performed by the owner to improve their rooms. The price was reasonable, difficult to find this kind of deal during this period. All the team has been very helpful although It was the peak season, I also liked very much the friendly atmosphere.

We had great time at the restaurant where the F&B has been improving since my first visit in February 2013 thanks to the new management team, they have so many good meals to offer, from the thai specialities to many other choices with the same quality, it is also very easy for the kinds. They also propose daily specials which you appreciate when you stay more than a week in the same hotel. We enjoyed the wine list too with reasonable prices. For the New Year, the buffet set-up in the garden was perfect for this special event.

Regarding the activities, the front office offers many things to discover for the family. One day, we went by boat to Monkey Island where you can see hundreds of monkeys, always a good time, and then we stopped by at other beaches you can not reach by car. Another day, they took us to the National Park for a ride on the river, it was lovely. All the trips are close to the hotel and can be reach without spending hours in the car.

For golf players, there is 9 hole course at 3 kilometers from the Hotel which is very convenient and the Hotel is located less than a hour from the famous golf courses in Hua Hinn.

I will go back to the Dolphin Bay during my next trip to Thailand.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

The location of the resort is lovely. The Gulf of Thailand is just across the road from the resort, the water is a warm green, the mountain formations just beautiful in its simplicity. The resort, however, was a disappointment. There were bugs on the bed! After the first night, I got 10 bug bites on my back. Too late, I learned to check the bed before sleeping. It was a problem that seemed to be quite common amongst the guests. The grounds of the resort were very well kept; everything else, however, wasn't. The playroom was a sad enclosure of one television set and two giant bean bags. It was quite dirty. I peaked into the spa and saw stains on the pillows. Most disappointing was the management. Thai hospitality did not extend to the French management of this resort. We had read that motorcycles could be rented from the staff - it was a way for the staff to make extra money. We were happy to do that. Unfortunately, that was the policy of the former management team; the current one did not seem quite so kind to its staff. We rented a motorcycle anyway. Within a kilometre from the resort, we got into an accident and were thrown off the bike. We were touched by the kindness of the Thai villagers around, the nurses at the clinic and hospital in Pranburi. When we returned to the resort, however, we faced a staff member who informed us that we were to be charged us an exorbitant sum to fix the scratched motorcycle and broken foot peg. The staff who had to tell us about this was very embarrassed because it was clear that the cost was unreasonable. The French management did not even have the courtesy to step out and explain things herself - she was at the counter when we checked out (with all the bandages, my husband was clearly the one with the accident) but promptly went into the office without a greeting.

There is a stark contrast between the hospitality of the Thai staff and the French management. The cleaning staff and the front desk was warm and accommodating. Thai people are very kind and gentle. The staff at the clinic picked us up from the accident site and the hospital dropped us off at the resort without charging us a single baht - the hospital was a 30 minute drive away. We had to change the wound dressing at the clinic in the days after the accident - and the resort management charged us 100 baht for the 5 minute drive to the clinic each time. That is not hospitality.

The Thai food at the resort was bland and expensive. Go down the beach. There is an excellent food stall a mere 2 minute walk away. Even if you don't speak Thai, the friendly locals will serve you much better food with far better courtesy at one third the price.

There are plenty of resorts down the road - go there instead.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SunOnTheBeach_13
agvbkk, General Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear guest, again we are so sorry about your accident. We just got the bike back today from Honda after 11 days in the work shop and the 166 dollars we charged you is a fair price. Regarding the bug in your bed, the hotel was fully treated by Dream Hygiene on Dec. 8 2014 and unfortunately that's nothing we can do for the Sandfly on the beach. Sincerely, Niran, General Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed for 6 nights before and after Christmas and this was the perfect hotel for having kids ages 4 and 1. There's lots of space for kids to play, good playground equipment and pools, and most of the people there were families with kids so the kids all played together. They also put on a nice Christmas eve event with a giant bouncy castle and slide during the day and Santa Claus and Christmas carrols at night. And we enjoyed excellent and good priced massages at the spa. Breakfast was great, other meals were ok but there are a few good cheap eating options very close by.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We've been in Thailand for 4 years, and have been to this resort 6-7 times, and it's our favorite place to stay. My kids love the lawn, the playground (upgraded), and the kid pool with water slide. The beach is right across the road (not busy), and the best thing is that you can either sit next to the pool or next to the beach, and watch your kids while having a tasty fruit shake or cocktail. It's a very very good 3 star hotel, comfortable but not fancy. The rooms are basic but very clean, and the staff are very helpful, especially the kitchen staff. They have gaming options, billiards, foosball, and table tennis (although this needs to be improved, as the table is in a nearby building and susceptible to the wind - we could not play during out stay), as well as kids room and bikes for rent. Overall, very comfortable and very reasonable, with nice owners. The downsides - the beach is brown sand, and the water is not crystal clear, but if your kids just like to play on the beach, it's perfect. Also, the rooms near the back parking lot can be noisy in the mornings. Overall, a great value, you'll enjoy it.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I visited Dolphin Bay Resort in 2007/2008 with my family and two other families. We had the best time!! The Thai food is amazing, the pools are fun (we spent one whole day in the pool, just getting out to eat:), and the beach is perfect. The bungalow we stayed in was perfect for our family of five, but we didn't stay in it that much because we were out enjoy the beach, etc. The beach was lovely, nice sand and view! There were cute little crabs that us kids had fun playing with :) Don't go out too far, because there's jellyfish (there probably is at every resort). Monkey Island was awesome, had some funny moments with monkeys stealing Fruit Loops. The Dolphin Watch Tour was great, but no dolphins were spotted this time. If I'm remembering correctly, we walked down the beach to some other places/restaurants/etc. Overall, Dolphin bay Resort is the best resort I've been to... I would totally recommend it to anyone!!

Room Tip: The bungalow is great! Don't pay for big rooms with private pools-- there's pools and a grea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
0 mi away
The Privacy Beach Resort & Spa
The Privacy Beach Resort & Spa
#7 of 12 in Sam Roi Yot

Been to Dolphin Bay Resort? Share your experiences!