“Overpriced Luxury Getaway from Singapore”

Montigo Resorts Nongsa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore
“Overpriced Luxury Getaway from Singapore”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The villas are all two room villas so you gotta go in a group to make your money worth? Maybe because we were part of a big group who really spend big bucks at the resort, the service was top notch and very personal and detailed attention was given to us throughout the stay. The villas come with a small pool and the rooms are huge and spacious. If you like lounging under the stars, the third storey of the villas had a great Chillout outdoor area with sofas. Location wise it is not near Town so you are really dependent on taxis or their shuttle. Overall, the price us too much to pay, and I probably can get the same kind do villa experience at Phuket or Bali at half or stay most 3/4 of the price

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KevinShan2133

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This will definitely be our first and last stay with the resort. Firstly, it was evident that that they did not do a thorough cleaning as there was a used condom + packet in the toilet bowl. Yucks. Our experience was further marred with the sight of a dead cockroach floating in our pool. We requested for a change of villa, we were even willing to downgrade rather than swim in the contaminated water, but they were supposedly fully occupied. So we requested for them to help us to drain the water while we went to the malls.

Upon returning, we were greeted by several cockroaches and millipedes in the living room + dining area at the pool. So subsequently we spent almost an hour killing them with the insecticide provided and then we called the reception to get a guy to get rid of the carcasses. They did not sound apologetic so I guess it's a normal occurrence to them.

Also, half of our view was blocked by the ongoing construction work right in front of the villa. And all the adjoining little huts outside were under maintenance due to safety issues.

But overall, the service was pretty good. They were very attentive and helpful. But still, the whole experience left a bad taste in our mouths.

Time your trip to the mall properly as the taxi trip to and fro Nagoya costs 200,000 and 150,000 rupiah to and fro respectively and the hotel only provides the shuttle service once a day ( leaves montigo at 10am and leaves Nagoya at 4pm).

Room Tip: An advice to guests would be to ask for higher levels so there would not be so many pests.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barbrady111
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

The trip was memorable for a few things.

First, the villa was luxurious, no doubt, but there are a few oddities that we saw. There was no beach to the Beach Front villa. In fact, there was no real beach to talk about.

Second, the maintenance of the properties was not too well done. There was bracket fungi growing on the door handle to the roof terrace. A paving stone on the steps to our main door was loose. I understand that fixing it immediately was not possible but numerous attempts to get the staff to just mark it seems ignored. At check out, it was still loose.

We brought my toddler along, and when she slipped off the sofa, we realized that the cushion was fitted wrongly. When we flipped it around, we saw numerous stains on the correct side. Admittedly, no guests in the right frame of mind would flip the sofa cushion over. However, I believe that as a luxury resort, sending the cushion to the cleaners should be the option, not just flipping it around.

Now for the good parts.

The view from the roof terrace was spectacular, you can even spy the Marina Bay Sands(Singapore) when the weather is clear.

The food at their restaurants especially Tadd's, was really great. I never thought that Nasi Padang could be a haute cuisine, but I was wrong. The presentation, the portions, and the sambal, especially the sambal, was world class. There was even balloon art for the little one to keep her entertained!

If the restaurant was great, the private BBQ was even better. There was a chef on hand to prepare every piece of meat to perfection, and a waiter to serve you your food. Yes, it was a little on the expensive side, but the service, the sheer perfection and the keropok (fried prawn crackers) was great.

The private plunge pool was a great place to lounge in, so much so that for our short stay, my partner and I failed to complete most of our objectives. We wanted to do some planning and review our business process, but the call of the plunge pool was too strong.

The shuttle to Nongsa Ferry terminal was efficient. I believe that it would be a better idea to allow guests to check out nearer to their ferry times, rather than having a standard check out time to bring in the feel of real luxury.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank -Cheng-Hui-__-
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Our group of 5 arrived smoothly and checked into the resort without a glitch, until we were told to pay S$200 for a key deposit. We were a but taken aback as this is not a small amount and was not communicated beforehand. We paid it and proceeded to the villa.

The amenities like toiletries, towel, bathrobes, even blanket and pillow were not provided for the 5th person. Our friend had to sleep using an extra towel as a blanket as they did not bring it. When we asked them for the blanket on the second day, they told us that we needed to pay extra for it. This is wrong as it is a basic amenity that we already paid for with the 5th person charge. We demanded it and they brought it finally.

We called to get an extra cup, plate, bowl, etc for the 5th person, and the staff would come bringing one or two items at a time. Our doorbell was ringing every 5-10 minutes for a number of times, disturbing us and leaving us questioning the communication and quality of the management.

What took the cake was when we called at night to double-check if there was a booking for our group on the shuttle bus to Nagoya. We asked if our names were on the shuttle bus list and told to hold, and the staff came back telling us that there is a shuttle for 8am, 10am, 12pm and coming back at 6pm. We therefore booked ourselves on the 12pm bus. The next day, to out horror, we arrived at the lobby to find out there is no such shuttle, and had to take a cab to Nagoya. The matter was handled very unprofessionally by a few staff, who did not explain what that other shuttle bus communicated to us was. Worse still, they did not even try to rectify our anger and disbelief by offering to pay for the cab as it was their mistake. Our spirits were dampened but we agreed to take the 4pm shuttle bus back from Nagoya. But we felt so insecure that we alighted the cab to double check if we were really booked on that shuttle bus. True enough, we were not and the matter was again dealt with in a confusing, puzzling manner. It was a huge disappointment and downside to our trip.

Another unprofessional issue was, the deposit was not returned to is at check-out. We left the counter after the staff said we had no additional charges and nodded her head, closing the conversation. Only much later when we were still in the resort did we remember the deposit, and were struck by how they had not offered to return it. What if we had taken the ferry immediately after checkout? This is unacceptable and there was no apology made when we went back. Instead, the manager even joked that good thing we were still around if not he has to mail us the cheque. Unbelievable. After these major goof-ups, we arrived at the ferry terminal preparing our hearts for another goof-up if the resort had not helped us change our ferry time and ended up stranded. By this time, we knew it was not impossible that they would commit such a major mistake again.

The ground staff of this resort are sincere, efficient and doing a good job. However, there are some serious and unacceptable issues in this resort like communication and management of guest services. It marred our stay and one of our friends was so unhappy she will not come back again.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank powertothepple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

What a mess.I order some food but it takes 30 minutes and i cant eat that.Are you Indonesian realy love to added lots of salt?
Your room,price and the others are fine except your food.FIX IT otherwise I will suggested my family and all of my friends to stay on other hotels.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mathew_Luthem
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My family and I checked into this hotel for 2D1N and were absolutely in love with it.
Check-in was pretty smooth and service staff were remarkably polite.

We were early for about an hr and our villa was not ready for check-in which is at 3pm. We had our lunch at their in-house restaurant. The manager was at our service and extremely helpful. The food, taste-wise would really depend on individuals and their preference.

Our villa was ready promptly and we had a buggy to take us to it. Ours was a sea-front villa and it was breath-takingly massive and gorgeous. I was very glad that my trip had 4 adults and 2 kids, otherwise, one villa would be too massive for a family of 4!

The rooms were at the entrance level in our case which is the 2nd floor. The master bedroom was huge and both rooms were overlooking the sea. The toilets were spacious too.

On level 1, there was a small kitchen area and a huge living and dining area. There was also an indoor pool, much to our delight! At first, I was a little worried if it would be unsafe for my toddler. But there is a sliding door to prevent the children from venturing to the pool on their own.

One level 3, its the rooftop with a mediterranian concept. Unfortunately, it was raining the 1st day we arrived and the canvas cushions were all stacked upwards. On a good weather, the rooftop would have been great for chit-chatting and games and with a good view! But beware of lizards!

In one word, the villa was awesome!

Breakfast was also good and they had a good spread. The kids had a good paly area too.

I checked out the spa and had my Montigo Massage done. My daughter had her 1st experience at the spa too as they offered spa for kids. Both of us truly enjoyed our massage.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Hanaz M
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is my 2nd time at Montigo within 6 months and my expectations of the resort were definitely higher as my initial visit was fantastic. We arrived at the ferry terminal at around 9.45am and there was a staff who greeted us. He escorted us to the minivan and told us that we had to wait a little while for other guests. By the time we reached the resort, it was 10.15am and we had missed the 10am shuttle bus to Nagoya Hill.

When we alighted from the minivan, a Korean lady staff told us to go down the steps to check in. We did as we were told, with nobody coming down with us. All I see is an empty area that looked like a restaurant with staffs busy cleaning up. Nobody came to us and greeted us. We stood there for about 5 minutes, not knowing what we should do. I walked up and asked the Korean lady that aren't we supposed to check in at the counters upstairs. She said no, check in is done downstairs and because the other guest had a baby, they were allowed to check in upstairs. Reasonable, but nobody bothered to greet us while we were standing around downstairs. It was a bad start for me.

Finally, an Indonesian lady by the name of Illia/Illie (sorry I can't remember her name exactly) greeted us with a warm smile and handed us cold towels and some tea, while she processed our check in. She helped us book a taxi to Nagoya Hill as our room was not ready.

We got into our villa rather late at about 7.30pm. I asked for a late check out and Francesca at the front desk granted the latest 1pm and asked us to call tomorrow morning to check if we could extend it further. Our villa was no. 11, a hilltop villa and everything was the same. It was still drizzling, so we couldn't go up to the balcony or swim in the private pool. We played some Wii though. We needed to cut some fruits that we bought back but the staff offered to do it for us, which was a nice gesture. The iPhone dock was not working in our villa and they got it changed for us pretty quickly. That was good.

We called in the morning to extend our checkout time as our ferry was at 4.30pm but they said the latest was 2pm. Any later than that will be an additional charge of $50++ per hour. Breakfast in the morning was good. Not fantastic, but good enough. There were 2 egg stations and both of the chefs have different standards of cooking the same thing - scrambled egg. We spent some time at our villa swimming and went down to the main swimming pool too.

We called for the buggy at 2pm exactly but no one came after 20-25 minutes. We called them again and reminded them that we are due to check out at 2pm. They finally came within 5 minutes. We checked out and decided to stay around the lobby till our transport came to send us to the ferry terminal. To our surprise, 2 other groups of fellow Singaporeans checked out even later than us with no extra charge. This is surprising as the staff told us that they are fully booked and only could extend our checkout latest 2pm.

All in all, I would say that the second visit was definitely not as fantastic as my first visit. I feel like the personal touches have all faded away. There's lesser interpersonal interaction between the staff and guests. Not sure if it's because the resort is becoming busier since the last time I visited, they were in the soft opening phase. Will I return? Yes, I will. It's great value for money for a short getaway. But I do think services need to be improved.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank butterandfly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nongsa
Radisson Golf & Convention Center Batam
#5 of 36 in Bintan Island
HARRIS Hotel Batam Center
HARRIS Hotel Batam Center
#2 of 11 in Batam Center

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!