Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Bouqueriaman
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom

Stunning peaceful getaway

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 9 Oct 2017
The setting of this hotel is absolutely beautiful, right on the beach which is made up of pure white sand and gentle emerald water.The rooms are spacious, set amongst palm trees and other beautiful vegetation. Meals are of a good quality with lots of choices.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful.There was lots to learn about the environment and what is required to sustain it - it was important information but delivered well. The trips were all geared towards this but were wonderful experiences at the same time.

We really enjoyed taking the speedboat to the cocktail boat in the evening, the sunsets were totally stunning and it is the best way to get to know your fellow guests.
Date of stay: September 2017
Room Tip: Low numbers are nearer to the facilities.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
4.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
Gangehi, Manager at The Barefoot Eco Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 9 Oct 2017
Sunny greetings from the Maldives and thank you for taking time to share your wonderful review on Trip Advisor. It’s great that you were happy with the location of the hotel, the spacious and comfortable rooms, the delicious food and the boat boar. Thanks for mentioning the whole team: we all are dedicated to make every guest feel special. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back for a second stay at The Barefoot Eco Hotel in the future.
    £91
      £152
      £530
    6.7 miles from The Barefoot Eco Hotel
    View more hotels in Hanimaadhoo
    All reviews diving center marine biologist fish italian chef beach front manta rays ice cream inhabited island boat bar beachfront room sea life mosquito spray snorkeling trips diving experience barefoot team sunbeds and umbrellas sandwich
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 10 September 2017

We are a familiy of five, children 12, 15 and 17. Stayed at the hotel for approx one and a half week.
    The hotel has a very relaxing mode, nice spacious rooms with AC. There is a nice pool on the premises and a vollyball "court" in the sand. There is also a very nice diving center with friendly and professional staff.

The hotel beach is vast and with no proble of finding your spot and sunbed.
    Food is buffet, breakfast, lunch, dinner. We skipped lunch with half board and had some sandwitches during the day if needed. There is no alcohol on the premises, but if you need you can travel by boat from the hotel to an off shore boat serving food and alcoholic beverages. We did not try this. I do however believe that the lack of alcohol possibly draws a crowd that is more into the "just being" and relaxing which we found nice. You are "forced" to relax and have a nice time. The staff are friendly, escpecially in the "Juice bar". Personally I found it nice to be able to just do sometning else than be at the beach all day, and to pick up potatochips, mineral water etc. Apart from this I would not say there is much to see when biking - and I did bike everywhere.

If you are into diving I would expect you to have a good time, snorkeling as well. The Barefoot have some Hobiecats catamarans and kajaks to use for the hotels guest.
    You can also make use of bicyckles on the premises. Usually only one of the gears work, but ok since the ground is flat.

I biked criss cross over the Island where allowed to. You are not allowed to go south of the airport.
    I ok pace I used approx 20 min from the hotel to the airport -15 high speed.

There is an ATM at/just by the airport and this is the only place you can withraw money if you want/need the local currency to buy some croceries. The "shops" are not all that interesting, but you can buy some items like coca cola and mineral water. Low prices in the shops.

If you are travelling with small children (we were not) I would highly recommed that you bring your diapers and other neccecities (things to buy is close to non existant and if - very expensive). I would also recommend you to bring your own sunprotection as what you can buy is low on factor (~20) and expensive.

All in all a very nice and relaxing stay - a hotel with a meaning (eco) which we came to appreiciate and which gave us something to think about and bring home - trying to make us slightly better at eco thinking than when we came.

2  Thank Magnus K
    Gangehi, Manager at The Barefoot Eco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Warm greetings from The Barefoot Eco Hotel and thank you for sharing your experience with us and the entire Trip Advisor community! We were so pleased to read that you and your family had a relaxing stay with us and you appreciated our facilities, professional service and friendly staff. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back for a second stay in the near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Clean, nice hotel with delicious food, service, friendly staff and lots of diving, snorkling, sightseeing, swimming, relaxing and fish sighting experience. The rooms wer cleaned with the supply of clean towels twice a day. Helpful, efficient and friendly staff full of smiles. Delicious food of various international cuisine. Lots of green surroundings, free bicycles, close to the water and lots of fish swimming nearby. Excursions of diving, snorkling and boat rides. It was just a luxury, comfortable and perfect holiday.

Room tip: The rooms close to the beach are very nice. Get an all-in service and go on excursions every day.
    • Trip type: Travelled with family
    Gangehi, Manager at The Barefoot Eco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Thank you very much for visiting The Barefoot Eco Hotel and for posting such a wonderful review. We were so pleased to read your great feedback regarding the service and our facilities. Thanks for awarding our professional diving center. We do hope to welcome you back for another luxury and perfect holiday!

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Excellent service, excellent foot ( if you like Italian) missing some options.
    Quiet, relax, excellent place. Some small maintenance required. Service and sympathy top.
    Rooms amazing in from the beach. Certainly a place to return with more time. Thanks to the team! Recomended
    Family Muns

Date of stay: August 2017
    Trip type: Travelled with family
    Gangehi, Direttore at The Barefoot Eco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Dear Francisco, sunny greetings from The Barefoot Eco Hotel and thank you for taking time to share your review on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate your feedback regarding your pure bliss experience and thank you for recommending us to other travelers. Best regards.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We spent here the most 8 beautiful days. It's the perfect place to combine adventure and relaxing. The hotel staff are sooo nice and always concerned about you welth, they made our stay unfogetable. The food is incredible tasty, the juice bar is everything you need (we did not felt the need to drink any alcohol ), the beach is always clean- staff clean it every morning, the water is perfect. Event though is the rainy seasone, we only had rain in 2 days: first day for 10 minutes, last day 3-4 hours. I recomand yoga clases and massages! Also the trip in the village: the local people are very nice and friendly, also if you don't have sea sickness , snorkeling trips are nice too.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    1  Thank 573iulianap
    Gangehi, Direttore at The Barefoot Eco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear Iuliana, thank you very much for posting your 5 star review and for awarding the amazing island, the super tasty food, the cleanliness of the hotel, our complimentary yoga lessons and relaxing massages. The management and whole staff were so happy to read your comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Barefoot Eco Hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

I spent two weeks at this resort in July 2017. This review reflects my personal view, so my observations might not always be that relevant to you. I’ll do my best to give you some valuable information though. This was my fourth stay in the Maldives, and so I will here and there try to compare this resort to other places I’ve been to. Earlier visited resorts are: Reethi Beach resort (a little bit more expensive, I paid 2800 euros half-board for 12 days travelling solo from Düsseldorf Airport), Safari Island (I paid 3000 for 12 days of half-board from Düsseldorf for one) and Kuredu (I paid 3500 half-board from Münich for 12 days, but prices have gone up here shockingly!)

In general
    Let me start off by saying there is lots to like about the Barefoot Eco. You’re in the Maldives, so there is never a lot to complain The beauty of the beach, the sea and the accommodation is as you might expect being in paradise: stunning. Comparing this resort to three other resorts I have been to, the first thing that makes a difference is the price. The Barefoot is very reasonably priced. The island is bigger than most Maldivian islands, and it is one of the islands that is inhabited, so there are also (3000) people living on the rest of the island. However, this also means that you don’t get the idea your really on a small island: there’s a limited stretch of beach of about 250 metres, compared most to other islands where you could just walk around the whole island in 5 or ten minutes. The Barefoot is secured, though I have no doubt you’re safe with the great and friendly people that live on Hanimaadhoo (which is the name of the island). This comes with a consequence: no alcohol is served in the resort. For me, that wasn’t a gamestopper. There is however a big beautiful wooden boat some minutes away from the resort where you can enjoy your wine/cocktail/beer/sunset (see other reviews). The resort offers free transportation to the boat. There is not much of a housereef, unlike at the other resorts where I stayed. So no real snorkelling from the beach, unless your willing to swim to the edge of the reef. There are however guided snorkelling tours.

The food and restaurant
    The first major difference comparing Barefoot to other resorts: in almost any resort, they will appoint you a fixed table for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Here, the choice is yours. Something I thought I would like, because travelling solo they sometimes tuck you away in a corner. However, after a few days, the advantage turned out to be a disadvantage. As the resort filled up with guests, it happened several times that I (and other guests) arrived at the restaurant to notice that there weren’t any (laid) tables left. Nobody seemed to bother so you actually had to go and find a waiter to ask for cutlery, and then find one of the tables on the lower level at the edge of the restaurant. It happened to me on the fifth night. Amazingly, the next morning the same thing happened at breakfast. And three days later it happened again. You might expect someone to notice, and to take care of the problem: there simply weren’t enough tables for the amount of guests. After this, I decided to do as all the other guests: turn up punctually at the start of breakfast/dinner to claim a table (and see the buffet crowded with people for 5 minutes). It is a problem I find hard to understand, since it is so easy to solve.

The bottle of water at your meal is free. This is different from all other resorts I’ve been to. So, you don’t have to order drinks and you don’t have to sign anything after meals. The contact you have at Barefoot with the waiters is therefore very limited: at other resorts having your own table means having your own waiter ;) Downside is that every know and then you get the feeling that they are not paying attention at all.
    I myself am a real REAL coffee addict, so I was very happy that the “juicebar” at the Barefoot has one of these real espresso machines. So no fake coffee there ;) This comes at a price btw, 5 dollars for a capucchino. I enjoyed a few after dinner. And yes, after a few days I started to miss my glass of red wine.

The food at BE is pretty decent. This is the Maldives, quality is incomparable to resorts in e.g. Turkey or Egypt (read: food is 10 times more tasteful). Comparing it to the other resorts however, I would say the barefoot comes out last. I could find something good almost every night, but unlike the other resorts I had to go looking for it. The options at Breakfast were –IMHO- very limited. That is something they definitely could improve. Only one sort of (white) bread is not much when you’re dealing with (95%) European travellers. Ham and cheese were the only options on your bread, although there are cookies, some pastry, yoghurt and of course the “egg” option where you can have a fresh omelette baked for you.

What I didn’t like about the restaurant is the pretty small counter they used for the buffet. It wasn’t supercrowded in the resort but the buffet was mostly teaming with guests. There was another big counter a little further away from the kitchen which they obviously chose not to use. All the dishes and food were not labelled/named, unlike at other resorts. Therefore you had to ask the chef and his assistants almost anytime you wanted to make a choice. Mostly they were very keen on putting it on your plate themselves. I don’t know what the reason for this is, but I don’t think it is a plus. I know some people enjoy a chat with the staff. But I only enjoy a conversation if it is spontaneous. After a few days I got the idea there was no escaping them. Something that can easily be changed in my eyes: just add a card describing the dish. It works perfectly for every other resort. Make it possible for guests to put the food on their plate themselves! I always tip good service, regardless of any conversation. The Italian chef is pretty loud. I guess his Italian accent is a bit much but it might sound charming to some. Not really my thing, I flew a lot further than Italy.

The rooms
    The rooms were kept impeccably clean (twice a day), and are very spacious. Every day, you’ll get a fresh (glass) bottle of water. You can't take it out, so bring a plastic bottle/container. Room size and comfort were very comparable to Reethi and the Safari resort. Kuredu is more expensive, and so more luxurious. Of course you could take a few pictures of some stains here and there or the occasional ant wondering about in your bathroom. But why would you? Hey, this is the tropics, not Paris. There is free coffee (Nescafe) and tea at your disposal.

As far as the term “ECO” is concerned, I honestly didn’t see a lot of difference whatsoever with other resorts. One strange thing: in other resorts you will get a “keycard” that automatically shuts down the airco when you leave. At the BE your airco keeps working, unless you switch it off yourself… Now I am perfectly able to do this, but why would you choose a system like this, knowing that many guests will probably forget or choose to come home to a cool room?

The accommodation is beautiful, I had a beachfront room. Comparing it to the other resorts, I would certainly prefer Kuredu, then Safari, then Reethi and then BE. That is mainly because beachfront in the other resorts is really with a view at the beautiful ocean. At BE, there were –as far as I could see- no beachfront rooms with an unobstructed view of the ocean. I couldn’t see past the shrubs and palm trees from my room. Nor do guests at this type of accommodation have their own beach chairs, unlike my experience at the other resorts (where I had the same type of room). This is the first place I visited where accommodation has two floors. I think I like the more traditional homes at the other resorts better. To be fair: there were always enough beach chairs and unbrellas available at the beach, it’s just slightly less private since you are 5 metres away from other guests.

All in all I had a great holiday. Who wouldn’t in such a beautiful place Would I go there again? Nope. Nor do I regret my choice. I found that for me, part of the special Maldivian experience is being able to walk around the island.

I will probably return to the Maldives, for my fifth island anniversary

Room tip: Since even beachfront has (very) obstructed view, I would suggest ocean view. Where you probably see more of the beautiful Indian Ocean.
    • Trip type: Travelled solo
    8  Thank Michiel D
    Gangehi, Direttore at The Barefoot Eco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2017

Warm regards from the Maldives and thanks for sharing your personal view with us and the entire Trip Advisor community! We appreciate your comprehensive and detailed review. It is always a pleasure to read our guests impressions and comments. Only this way we can continually improve our standards. We believe that The Barefoot Eco Hotel is not comparable with the other properties in the Maldives being the only one 4 stars hotel located in an inhabited island. It is the perfect place for people who love the beauty of nearly untouched nature, in respect of the existing sensible balance of flora and fauna. Silence and ambiance were our main concern in planning this unique resort in the country. The Barefoot Eco Hotel is very reasonably priced: we are offering a high standard property at outstanding value. In our official website is clearly mentioned that the alcohol can be consumed on a boat bar only. This is due to the fact that alcohol is forbidden in a local island. As you well wrote the hotel offers free transportation to the boat bar and it is a nice place to drink cocktails, wine, beer and liquors, especially at the sunset time. We were happy to read that you appreciated our complimentary snorkeling tours. Every afternoon our in-house marine biologist escorts the guests (free of charge) on the house reef by the traditional boat. We also offer bikes, for adults and children, to let our guests discover the local village and the island itself. We understood that your major concern regards the tables in the restaurant. Actually they are free seating tables and "first comes first served". Our head waiters is personally taking care of the guests’ tables assignment. It has been working well so far. Yes, we are proud to offer complimentary bottles of water, in re-usable glasses (being an eco hotel our commitment is to avoid/reduce the plastic waste) at every meal and in the rooms. We have one Italian Chef and most of the ingredients come, by air cargo, from Europe. Actually there is a large choice of food at breakfast, lunch and dinner. In case guests do not like the buffet choice, they can talk directly to our Chef, who is always attending the buffet counter. We think it is a good service. Chef and few kitchen staff are behind the buffet counter to explain the dishes prepared by their caring hands. We have 52 rooms and 4 room categories. Beach front rooms are comfortable, very spacious and well furnished. They enjoy the long sandy beach view and the see. Lush vegetation is all around the resort and our gardeners strive to keep the garden nicely. We do hope you will chose The Barefoot Eco Hotel for your fifth anniversary. Best regards