“Flavor as Amazing as the View”

Temporary Cal's Cantina
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Temporary Cal's Cantina is a uniquely constructed restaurant perched high above the hilly jungle of Roatan's south shore. Endless views of the Caribbean Sea spread out before you while fresh tradewinds keep you cool. Our restaurant boasts exceptional and affordable island cuisine prepared by award winning chef/owner Carl Husbands. Don't miss Temporary Cal's Cantina when dining out on Roatan. Hours 10 a.M. - 8 P.M., NOTE SUMMER HOURS: August & September Only: Wednesday-Thursday - Friday. No credit cards.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My family stopped at Cal's Cantina following a scooter trip to Arch's Iguana Farm. I was a little suspicious at first as the clerk at the scooter rental shop had recommended Cal's in the same breath as French's 44, which we had been disappointed with on a previous trip to Roatan. All my skepticism faded with my first taste. The amount of flavor packed into each bite is like nothing I've experienced on Roatan. I had the churrasco. It was easy to cut and seasoned to perfection.

The dining experience includes a panoramic view (180+) of the coastline surrounding First Bight. This includes a mansion which we were told belongs to the owner of The Parrot Tree resort.

If you are staying in the area, touring the area, or just want a break from resort food, make the trip to Temporary Cal's Cantina.

1  Thank tellysurf

Reviewed 31 July 2014

When we flew down to Roatan, I asked passengers around me for restaurant recommendations. A few people said Cal's. He's only open on what I want to call cruise ship days, so no weekends, which is good for the owner but bad for anyone who misses those days. But this place really does capture the vibe of Roatan, which to say the least is the most chill island I have ever visited. Out of a dozen or so in the Caribbean, for perspective.

The view from Cal's is 5 star, the food a laid back 5 star, and the vibe 5 star. It's the perfect island mesh. This is casual island food with some flair & cooking skill, even if it's definitely not fine dining. Unlike so many restaurants all over the world, Cal does what he does pretty darn close to perfectly. No airs, just a guy who knows how to make good food at fair prices.

We had lunch here, just some very unique chips & salsa & the sublime lion fish. Washed it down with a marg & a beer. I honestly don't think it matters much what you have. It's all good, as the people around me attested.

After lunch, we came to find out that Cal is from my hometown. We got a little tour, talked about the island, the challenges, his past forays in Honduras, the local government, While we were there, Jackson Browne played just loud enough to add to the whole thing. Dear reader, you either get that or you don't. But for me personally, it was as perfect as the food. It was as if I transferred those songs, now 40+ years old, to an island that was about 40 years back in time...an innocent, still not commercialized Malibu beckoning. It reminded me of another SoCal singer songwriter, and his words....

"Truth is simple
But seldom ever seen
Let nothing come between
Simple man, simple dream"

Go here, have fun, drink a few, and enjoy it all. You won't be disappointed.

And hey! Make those t-shirts!

1  Thank Tim D
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is an out of the way place that has spectacular views. Meal was great and the price was just right! I had the Lobster which was grilled with a wonderful sauce, (most of the time you grill lobster, it's ruined, this was nice and tender and moist. Service was good and the view spectacular from the covered dining area.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I really enjoyed my dinner at Cal's! After reading so many reviews, we knew we wanted to try this place. I ordered the fish tacos & they were absolutely delicious (& not spicy), but I will say be careful what you order especially if you are sensitive to spicy food. My sister-n-law ordered the spicy beef tacos & after 1 bite couldn't eat them b/c they were so spicy. My daughter also said the shrimp was a little too spicy for her as well. But if you love spicy food like I do, then go for it!! You won't regret coming here!!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

THE place to eat when in Roatan. Gourmet quality, local pricing, an incredible view and a great staff, make Cal's a must eat and see. Only open from Tuesday-Friday 10am-8pm, daily specials and tropical favorites on the menu. First lunch we had on Tuesday was a fresh Grouper fillet so good we went back for dinner but they were serving the last one as we ordered so went for a blackened rib eye that was succulent. Wed. lunch went for Lionfish tacos that were so good I can't believe there is a single Lionfish left on the reefs. Went back for dinner again and had Currassco style steak that was again other worldly. Fish tacos again Thur. lunch. Friday was Cal's last day before leaving for vacation to U.S. so we decided we better help him clear the fridge so another lunch and dinner that was so good I won't try to describe it. Yes we ate there almost every meal it was open and from our rental house it was not a short trip. Best island food I've had and I have visited many, many islands. Steak dinner for three was right at 60.00, try that in Cayman.....

1  Thank BuckBeasley