“Never a Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Goodwood Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Beckenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Arrived at The Goodwood Hotel, which i booked online. On arrival, at the front door i found it closed, with a paper sign asking guests to ring bell, "if not answered immediately, please ringtelephone number ... as we may be busy" immediately alarm bells started to ring. Lucky me (or was it i ask myself) the door was answered by a lady, whom i now know to be part owner. I was ushered towards reception (well actually it was a broom cupboard ) where i stood outside and was advised i was in room 7 second floor go and have a look. The room was on the top floor very small, with a large iron imprint on the floor, paper peeling, cold and desperate looking. I immediately went down stairs and spoke to the other half of the management team, the husband, saying " rather pokey room, cold, with stained carpet" and since i paid good money i expected a better !!! His reply was you could have got 20% cheaper if i had booked direct, to say i was impressed was an understatement

I was subsequently shown another room in the basement, which whilst en route i tripped over a piece of carpet outside the door of the room which was covering an inspection trap for the drainage system. This room appeared slightly larger, and as it was late getting late i said it will do. But alas,on further inspection there was a small pokey shower room which was cold with no heating, and offensive damp aroma, cobwebs in all corners of the room, the room itself required an overhaul in my opinion, i woke early hours of the morning with my back killing me due the springs in the bed poking and prodding all night.

As i was there for work/business it was important that i was up dressed and fed (breakfast) and out the door by 0725 hrs. Another nightmare, i had paid for breakfast but no breakfast on the menu at the time to suit me, despite no timings noted on the website.

I managed to catch the male half of the management team, prior to heading off to work and voiced my concerns,he replied he would get my stuff moved to another room, yet again on the top floor, this time room number 8. On my return late that evening i found the room this time to be above the previous standard, however, still not worth the £75 per night. I may say this room also had it's faults such as no heating and poor shower.

In summary this is NOT a HOTEL it is Bed and Breakfast and the breakfast is only if your around the times it is served which i still not know. I would certainly NEVER stay in this accommodation despite it's location, primarily as it has too many faults/issues and far too expensive for a bed and breakfast and NOT A HOTEL as advertised

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Goodwood Hotel

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We needed to stay in Beckenham and as this hotel is walking distance from our family decided to risk it , despite the poor reviews on TRIPADVISOR.
I booked by phone and explained that we needed a quiet and spacious room and was offered this at less than the advertised price.
On arrival we checked the room before we paid and found it to be freshly decorated, scrupulously clean with a comfortable bed. It overlooked the rear garden and was light and spacious with a double and a single bed. There was plenty of hot water and the breakfast was good.(Room 6)
On the down side the central heating wasn't working but we had an electric heater to put on when we were in the room. It was adequate but left the bathroom a bit chilly. Of more concern was the door lock which didn't catch properly making it impossible to lock our door. The two halves of the lock had been fixed too far apart.
The hotel has a pleasant family atmosphere and is convenient for travel to Central London.Parking is OK,just a bit tight, With the lock fixed I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back quieter. If given room 6 you may want to check the lock.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I would definitely recommend avoiding this establishment. :( from the moment I arrived at reception, until my early departure the following morning, I was very disappointed, being the same price as Selsdon Park, just a few miles away, I was VERY dissatisfied.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Pamela S
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Got put in a basement room at the front of the hotel. So much for the period features! Room was clean but soulless and every time you walked out the door you got splashed on from something dripping higher up - even though the weather was dry. Not even a toilet roll holder in the bathroom and no ventilation fan or window. I'm not sure that meets building regs. It was a frosty night and the duvet was not thick enough and there was nothing else to put over the bed. The car parking was not "secure" it was just off the street - and in any case it was full so we had to park in the road.
Breakfast was in another part of the basement, too small and with no windows. Breakfast was barely adequate. Over cooked egg, one rasher of bacon and a Wall's sausage.
I booked this "hotel" because I thought I was booking something better (and more expensive) than a travelodge. I was wrong. It was just more expensive. I should have read the reviews on here first.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I'm puzzled by the negative comments about the Goodwood. Fercrisake! it's barely pocket money compared to rip-off Travelodge. There's a personal touch to the place, it's spotlessly clean and very convenient in a nice area. Yep, some rooms are small but I'm there to sleep not ramble around a 4 acre room in hiking boots all night. I can't remember ever having such a pleasant breakfast experience except at home. The room TV might be a challenge, just try retuning, it worked for me.

Room Tip: Some are obviously better than others, if you need to swing a cat, get a double.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I am astonished that the proprietors of this B&B (be advised:the Goodwood is NOT a hotel) feel able to sell a basement storeroom, albeit with a bed and a Sanilav, as single room with en-suite accommodation. With no natural light, a damp,humid atmosphere and the noise of constant foot traffic above the low ceiling...no wonder the other occupants of this miserable few square feet of space included several species of moths, spiders in the bed and heaven knows what other creepy-crawlies. If it hadn't been late in the evening, and no other accommodation to be had in Beckenham at that hour, I would have left then and there.
I realise that solo travelers are frequently the hapless victims of the iniquitous single person supplement, and are invariably allocated the least attractive rooms/restaurant tables, etc..but the Goodwood takes this axiom to new heights. Or lows.

Room Tip: The title of my review says it all: avoid room 14
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank gillean m
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I Stayed here for 1 night in early June. I booked a single room and breakfast was included.
The room was lacated on the lower floor right next to the breakfast area.
I was woken up very early by the staff setting tables and preparing for breakfast, not ideal on a Sunday morning after a late night on Saturday.
The staff were very nice and helpful, the room itsself was a decent size with a 3/4 bed. It was nice and clean and my only complaint can be the size of the bathroom and basin. Very small would be an exageration.
Very close to the railway station, 20 min to London Victoria.
Overall fairly reasonible value for money.

Room Tip: not near the breakfast area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckenham
The Bromley Court Hotel
Innkeeper's Lodge Beckenham
Travelodge London Crystal Palace
Travelodge London Bromley
Avis Hotel
Avis Hotel
#5 of 6 in Bromley
Ibis Styles London Croydon

Been to Goodwood Hotel? Share your experiences!