“Wonderful Place”
Review of Pousada Anjali

Pousada Anjali
Reviewed 25 December 2012

The Pousada Anjali is a beautiful place an d we felt at home at once. The place is a paradise and the house is just as beautiful. The breakfast was exceptionally good - everything was made fresh and tasted great.

The nature and the way the Pousadais set in the middle of it made it a perfect holiday. We´ll definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Pousada Anjali

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Pousada Anjali is one of those hidden gems - not as well known as the bigger and more crowded pousadas, PA has only two rooms and if it is quiet, privacy, perfect location, a spacious comfortable room, a kitchen for cooking or warming up leftovers from restaurants, or romance you are after - this is your place!

I have stayed in several pousadas in Boipeba over the past 10 years and Pousada Anjali is my favorite.
Located on the beautiful Outeiro beach (in front of the ocean, as opposed to the river or the restaurants), Pousada Anjali is tucked inside the trees, so the rooms stay cool and quiet. Some days I never wanted to leave my verandah and spent the day in my hammock reading.

You’ve heard about the breakfasts from other guests - the best!
Serving a different breakfast every day (a mixture of American and Bahian food) Deanna also sometimes made cappuccino for us or chai tea or Mexican coffee to go with the omelettes, bolinhos de estudantes, apple crisp, beiju, chocolate zucchini cake, pão de queijo, home made breads and granola, yogurt, or quiche, etc.

Also, yoga classes given right here at the pousada and one can receive a massage on the verandah (amazing) - guests receive a discount.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I've just returned from my second stay at Pousada Anjali. It was very difficult to leave. When I'm there, I completely switch off and slip into pure relaxation mode.
Not only is Deanna, the owner, a fun, friendly and informative host, she is also an excellent yoga teacher and massage therapist. Take advantage of this when you go! You will also have the pleasure of meeting Anjali, Deanna's young daugher, who is bubbly, helpful and always ready for a chat. The pousada has the double advantage of being near the ocean but is set within lush jungle. The rooms are bright, colourful and spacious; they even have their own kitchens and large verandas with hammocks. Breakfasts are a delight - I'm yet to taste a better breakfast in Brazil (or anywhere for that matter!) - every day you're served something different (pancakes, beijus, great cakes, fruit, yoghurt, scrambled eggs etc) as you enjoy the jungle view. If you're looking for somewhere tranquil and friendly, this is the place for you. I will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank helen b
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I can't say too many nice things about Pousada Anjali - my 4 days were way too short. Other reviewers have described the location - great, near the beach and town - so I'll skip to my experience.

I had many e-mails with Deanna, the owner, and she was very helpful in her suggestions. One was to take the plane from Salvador, rather than the boat. If you can afford it, its great fun - a small plane holding only 4 passengers. Arrived at Boipeba Int'l Airport, just a landing strip in the middle of nowhere. But soon a tractor arrived, pulling some sort of trailer, on which we rode to the beach of the little village of Boipeba. A guy wheelbarrowed my luggage to Pousada Anjali where I was greeted by Deanna's 8 year old daughter, Anjali. Deanna was teaching yoga, so she (Anjali) would show me to my room. She was utterly charming, explaining about the pousada, and the trails to the beach and to the town. She pointed out on the map the best places to eat. Deanna soon joined us - a real family welcome. My room was great, the first floor of a 2 level building. 2 really interesting German women had the unit upstairs

The beach that's a 2 minute walk is really nice - warm water - warmer than in Salvador because it's protected by a reef. But I'd recommend the 30 minute walk south to a great little restaurant (fabulous langosta and creative caipirinhas). It fronts a great swimming beach. One of my favorite scenes was a middle aged Brazilian couple, in the water kissing while their children swam around them. Not some sort of Ipanema scene of pretentious beautiful people, but real people who were living their lives well.

I'm a foodie, and for the most part find Brazilian food ok, only a bit more interesting than American. But, I really ate well here. Maybe just a bit of luck, or Anjali's recommendations. I especially recommend Restaurant Santa Clara. The food is interesting and creative (not cheap but not outrageous). Deanna, Anjali, Katarina, and I went there twice, at least once to mourn Katarinas return to the US. Katarina is a really interesting woman (works at a science museum) - Pointed out the Southern Cross one night from the beach nearest the pousada when returning from dinner. My first chance to really look at the night sky in the southern hemisphere - I came back the next night just to look at the stars.

Also not to be missed are Deana's breakfasts. The best café da manha I've had. For example, pancakes made with some local flour (manioc - tapioca?), great fruit ... also a good chance to talk to the other guests.

For me the highlight of my stay was the wonderful people. In some cases it was just good luck, but the people of the town were wonderful and genuinely friendly. Deanna and Anjali made me and the other guests feel like part of their family.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We have just returned from 2 weeks on Ilha de Boipeba and Pousada Anjali and are very happy with the choice we made.

Firstly, the Pousada is in an excellent location; it's a 3 minute walk through the jungle to the beach, which is then a 3 minute walk to the Bahaca's (restaurant, port area). The village is a little further - maybe 15 minutes from the pousada. This location gives you both a peaceful and private location and the combination of a beach AND jungle holiday.

The pousada has a bedroom, small kitchen and bathroom as well as a lovely big veranda with a table and chairs and 2 hammocks. The space was plentiful and facilities perfect for your needs (kitchen has a fridge that is topped up regularly with water, coke and beer that you can purchase), coffee and tea making facilities etc.

There is a nice bed with mosquito net (which you will need!), table and chairs, shelves with books you can read etc. The Treehouse room also has a mezzanine with a bed making it useful for more than 2 people.

The pousada is set in a plot that has been beatifully landscaped with a lovely little gate and well-lit path. You can walk to Deanna's veranda through this garden/jungle in the morning for breakfast, for yoga classes or massages. The massages were spectacular (80 reias for an hour and a half on the veranda). We also thoroughly enjoyed the yoga classes (15 reias).

Deanna (and her daughter Anjali) were very welcoming and helpful and great company! Breakfast was yummy and all in all we had a fantastic time and would thoroughly recommend Pousada Anajli.

Be warned you are in the jungle so there are bugs, monkeys and bats etc and lots of mosquitos but this is the case across the island and is part of the experience!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2011

If you want to relax, to enjoy, to feel... you must definitely go ¡¡¡, amazing island and anjali pousada is the perfect place to stay ¡¡¡¡ Is located very near the main village and 2 minutes walking to the beach but still you are in the middle of the jungle... Dianna the owner makes you feel good ¡ she makes great breakfast, everyday you have delicious and very healthy food... and all is prepared with a perfect combination of colours, flavours, feelings... she also can give you spectacular massages ¡¡ we were traveling around south america during 1 month and pousada anjali was our last stop and it couldn't be better finishing for our trip ¡
Dianna help me to prepare a day full of sorprises for my boyfriend's birthday... it was amazing... sunrise, massage, good food, sunset and dinner... everything was organized with help of Dianna... Thank you ¡¡ Thank you again ¡ now we are planning our wedding and we still remember these romantic moments ... we hope we go back again some day... it will be always in my mind.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2011

We are two people from Berlin. We spent 5 nights at this pousada at the treehouse. It was an amazing time. The location is beautiful - amazing nature, really friendly people, excellent service, amazing breakfast...The island is stunning. We really enjoyed our trip. It was a perfect end for our trip around Brasil. Thanks Deanna!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple