“Just the room itself”

The Grand Ho Tram Strip
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Ho Tram
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Bad points: Guest service
I travel with my family 1 week ago. We booked 2 connecting rooms 2 weeks before that. When we arrived, The reception staff Louis said that we need to wait till 3pm to get these 2 rooms since one room was not ready yet. After 3pm, we checked in to find out these 2 rooms are not connected at all and we have to open doors for the kids to run between the 2 rooms, which is very annoying even though we can see the occupancy of the resort is less than 50% at that time. The bad thing is that when i called down to complain Louis said " I told you before that the connected rooms are not ready yet so I give you 2 separate rooms". The promise to guest is now turned the other way round . The worst is that the connected room next door is vacant dirty because they did not clean it yet.

Food: everyday we have to eat buffet since there is no other choice. All restauranst only open upon high occupancy.

Good points: the room itself is nicely decorated in a luxury way, which we do not expect at a casino resort style. Very nice sea view. Swimming pool and bellman service are both good.

I would not return for more than 1 night stay till the food has more variety.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank xubung2014
TheGrandHoTramStrip, Manager at The Grand Ho Tram Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Xubung2014,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback regarding your check-in with us at The Grand Ho Tram Strip.

We have conducted a full internal investigation regarding your unfortunate arrival experience with us. Upon review of your reservation we can see that there was no request made for a connecting room. The reservation was for two king ocean view rooms, but we have no connecting rooms with the same bed type. King rooms connect to double rooms. Your rooms were ready by 3pm, which is our standard check-in time, as mentioned in the email sent to you confirming your reservation. Understandably, it must have seemed like a long wait considering you first approached the Front Desk to check-in at 10:47am.

We have since tried to contact you twice on your mobile phone to personally apologize for any inconvenience caused as well as discuss our plans to make your next visit a more special and memorable one for you and your family. However, there has been no answer. We would be very pleased to speak with you in person whenever you may be available.

We hope to welcome you back again soon to The Grand since we feel confident that you would experience an improvement with regards to general communications and co-ordination.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Some positives;
Great rooms, spacious, nicely designed and (seaview rooms only) have a nice view.
Food is generally of high quality.
Five pools, generally well maintained and with life guards on duty
Clean beach

Some negatives;
Exterior is quite ugly. Both the exterior and the lobby are reminiscent of a shopping mall (a view further enhanced by the myriad number of slightly uncontrollable kids wandering/running around)
Food is inconsistent. No two dishes seem to taste alike (although the standard of the ingredients is generally high)
No welcome drinks or concierge staff taking bags to rooms
Food quite expensive for what's on offer.
Cabanas require an extra fee to be used
Evenings see two of the dining venues closed so as to funnel people into buying their generous but pricey buffet.
Half the day they're setting up for the dinner and also leave items around the pool area during the day. They seem more concerned with getting some money out of the buffet than enhancing the guest experience during the day.
Not possible to have a quiet pool/beach side beer as the area is closed off (see comment above)
Clientele is mostly families with unruly kids. Staff seem powerless to set standards so buffet and pool areas often become a free for all (reminiscent of package hotels in the city).
Has very little character and has none of the charm of seaside resorts in Mui Ne or even the Ho Tram resort down the Rd.

Overall:
Come here if you want to see the latest beach side resort. Don't expect a relaxing break as unruly kids put paid to that. Rooms are really good so might suit honeymooners. Overall not value for money in our view.

Note: we stayed here over a holiday weekend. I suspect they just weren't organised enough for a full hotel so a hotel stay during a non holiday period is likely to be better. We really wanted to like this place more than we did but ultimately it's not the best beach resort experience nor close to it. Even places half the price would offer better value for money. Unless, of course, you enjoy places where people go to show off their wealth. ( Overhead a chef boasting to one of his staff about the 30,000,000 bottle of wine they had just sold).

Room Tip: Seaview room the other rooms face a building, the Rd and the sand duney golf course.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
TheGrandHoTramStrip, Manager at The Grand Ho Tram Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Andrew M,

We were surprised to receive your comments regarding your stay with us over the holiday weekend. The hotel was running an occupancy between 95 and 100 percent during your stay with us. This equates to between 800 to 1200 guests in house at any given time. As it was a national holiday in Vietnam, we did anticipate many families and kids to visit our resort during this period. As advertised on our website, the holiday weekend offered a myriad of entertainment including live performances at the pool and a wonderful buffet. Unfortunately, to provide this does require daily setup and breakdown.

We hope that you will come down again for another visit. If you prefer a quieter and more intimate experience, please let us know while making your reservation. Our Reservations Team together with our VIP Hotel Team would be happy to accommodate you and make sure that your stay with us is an extra special one.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Maybe I'm biased because I like to gamble so please keep this in mind before reading. Stayed 1 night and only came to gamble. The bus departs from district 1 only (3 times a day and more on holidays) 9am - 2pm - 8pm. It is an ok ride for 2:15min one way with free wifi + small bottle of water + wet towel. One stop was made at a gas station for 10min (bathrooms were clean but no soap inside so bring your own or some disinfectant) and no stop was made on my way back on the 8pm bus.

Due to a previous poster mentioning the price of Banh mi on the room service menu (290,000 VND! includes salad and fries but still too much!) I bought a Banh mi at the Royal Hotel Saigon cafe where the bus picks you up in HCMC for 50,000 VND and had it for lunch when I arrived. Gamblers are a strange bunch :) so cheap and yet so much money to lose !

Check in was quick only because I made sure to be near the front of the line off of the bus. No welcome drink but hey I didn't even get a welcome drink at The Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. It would be a nice touch though and very welcome after almost 2.5 hours on a bus.

The best part:
$10USD minimum live blackjack table !!! (only 1 low min table I'm afraid the others are $20), $1 electronic one zero roulette table (even on all outside bets), $2 min one zero live roulette with $10 minimum outside bets !!!

A number of IGT slots that you must use to redeem the $25 of free play credit if you can get a promotion but I played two days and both times I was able to get my money back (din't win any extra but it was amusing as IGT slots are the most modern ones in this hotel).

Since I was there just before a Vietnamese holiday it was more crowded than most times other patrons told me but even so it looked like there were maybe 100 people total? Try to get a promotion by calling the casino loyalty club beforehand. They will provide free bus transfer + 2x$25 vouchers for blackjack & roulette only (must match voucher when playing so 1 voucher + your own $25 chip) + $25 free play on IGT slots (with just $1 of your own money) + $15 food credit at 8 Dragons restaurant....AND a free room if you can get 101 credits !
I was able to accrue about 50 credits playing blackjack for a long while and the rest with the slots. Slots pick up points very quickly so it shouldn't be a problem getting the free room.

Don't forget to bring your own USD as I read from another poster that they do try to make money on the exchange rate. VND is accepted everywhere else as that's the law, ie like in the 8 Dragons restaurant inside the casino. Food at 8 Dragons was really good and portions were normal size. I had Hainanese chicken with rice + chicken skewers Vietnamese style where you wrap and roll with fresh greens and rice noodles and dip in fish sauce, very yummy ! + mango and sticky rice for dessert. I only had to pay an extra 40,000 VND as I exceeded my free $15 credit by only that much and I was stuffed!

Breakfast buffet included was excellent with all stations available... even sushi ! Come to think of it I believe that only a pancake or crepe station was missing but no big deal with all the fresh bread and pastries made on site. Thank goodness breakfast lasts until 11am!

Numerous shallow pool areas for kids and one for adults but I didn't swim. The beach looked clean and swimmable with very little waves at 12noon.

Didn't visit the spa eventhough I had 50% off with my promotion as I was too eager to just gamble :) The spa menu with prices (and other activities) are listed on the television which you can browse and book on screen while having a nice bubble bath from your bathroom. The asian wood carved flowers and frosted glass doors slide open which separates the bedroom from the bathroom.... speakers on the ceiling above the bath are also very much appreciated. USB dock for your own music too (I don't own an iPod so I am not sure if it is also used for that).
I had 6 small bottles of water in my room and coffee and tea complimentary. The tea was amazing! A San Francisco company with high quality tea bags. Good amenities (slippers & plush bathrobes) but missing reading material (magazine or newspaper). If you don't pay extra you only get a golf dunes view but even that is very pleasant.

Like another poster mentioned I also had a problem adjusting the air conditioning in the room. It was 22 upon arrival and only 23 when I checked out the next day eventhough I chose 27 on the digital display. I've been in other hotels where the digital display only shows the current room temp so I thought it would increase with time after choosing 27 but nope. Just turn it off if you get too cold I suppose or call reception. Since this is not my first digital modern hotel room that I've been in I suggest that the management get instructions for use of the aircon in the room.

Only issue I had with housekeeping was upon check-in but very minor so I didn't call them to clean it up. There were 3 short hairs on the ground in the toilet that was in plain view while sitting there. Also the white marble desktop had numerous water stains and rings which made it look dirty when the light hits at a certain angle but when I wiped it with a wet cloth it wasn't dirty however it didn't go away.

All in all a very good experience. I enjoyed myself and I will be back !!!

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear TRDee,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback regarding your stay with us at The Grand Ho Tram Strip. As a seasoned traveler to integrated resorts, your feedback regarding our gaming promotions and operations are very well received.

The suggestion to have a card explaining the air conditioning instructions is a smart idea and we will look into the design and implementation of how to best execute this within the Rooms Division.

Feedback like yours helps us to continually improve our service and product for experienced gaming travelers like yourself.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

First of all I came to see the casino and hotel property I have been coming to stay at the nearby ho tram beach resort each year for the past three years and I will write a separate 5 star review for it .

This is an incredibly beautiful property. My family came dressed in shorts and we each gambled about 10 usd on the electronic big wheel and played for about 3 hours. The staff keep us supplied with complimentary drinks. I could not believe they served such expensive wines served in the correct wine glasses in the casino. We each drank 3 glasses of the best wine I have ever had in Viet Nam. There were very few customers playing during from around 11 to 2 pm.

We had a late lunch at the downstairs buffet. Cost around 33.00 usd each and while it was very good it is way too expensive. Based on other nice buffets in Viet Nam I would say it was not worth more than 8 usd

Also to go in the casino you must have an out of country passport and they use Usd to gamble with.

I would definitely return for the gambling but I can not afford to eat here. Not sure how long they can afford to serve such good complimentary wines in the casino but that alone would cause me to come back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tangojohnDallas
TheGrandHoTramStrip, Manager at The Grand Ho Tram Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear TangoJohnDallas,

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Grand Ho Tram Strip, and especially happy to that you had such a wonderful gaming experience. At The Grand, we aim to serve fine quality food and beverage including our complimentary wines in the casino. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

With just 2 hrs by private Car, Ho Tram is the top choice for a short break from Saigon.

Just checked out today 2014 04 09 Wed with family of three with a 10 years old girl.
Room was spacious and spotlessly clean. Bath Room was huge and luxurious.
We totally enjoyed the beach and the pools, and kid had great fun at the Kid Corner.
Breakfast at Ginger Restaurant offered generous selections with the best fried rice noodle.

We definitely will go back.

Ken Chung

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
TheGrandHoTramStrip, Manager at The Grand Ho Tram Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Ken Chung (Dupont366),
We appreciate you taking time to write a review and are pleased to hear that you and your family had such a wonderful visit, enjoyed our spacious guest room, infinity pool, Kid Corner and fried rice noodle at Ginger Restaurant.
We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Free bus service from hcmc is nice and convenient.

Stayed for 4 nights . Upon booking we were sure to mention my wife's passport was at an embassy for visa processing . Reservations confirmed her I'd card would be acceptable . Upon check-in we were questioned why her passport was not available . We were made to wait while they had to check if her I'd card was ok . This should have been no question as they already confirmed this . We were given a room with better view (corner ) for the confusion.

Rooms are great ! Well layed out . Nice looking . Fast internet . Usb wall plug for charging ect. Bed was too soft for my liking an adjustable firmness bed would have been a plus . Cleanliness was ok but there were some obvious stains in the sofa chair in room .

Pool area is very nice . Multiple pools and chairs , lounges , sofas . Pool staff (lifeguards) were hiding from the sun behind the pool bar instead of watching swimmers !

Beach is decent . Much nicer than vung tau but not as nice as miu me . Danang or nha trang. A lot of garbage in the water and conflicting signage at the hotel as to whether or not it's safe to swim . No lifeguards on duty at the beach .

We did have an issue with undercooked chicken served to us poolside for our child . Hotel did look after us but food and beverage manager invited us to dinner at the french restaurant only to have the restaurant present us with the bill for dinner after !

The staff Need more training to explain the casino rules and the rules about accessing the restaurant inside the casino . This should happen at check-in to avoid any confusion or embarrasment to guests !

Hotel has 5 restaurants but only 3 open during our stay . And only 2 accessible to us as one in casino and children not allowed . If some restaurants aren't open the hotel isn't fully functional imo and this should have been explained to us upon booking

Hotel itself is mostly in the middle of nowhere . There are a few restaurants within 10 km and some are good but u need a Vietnamese with you to order.

We did try to return again a couple weeks later but the reservations and managers completely dropped the ball on our return visit . They had offered us incentives to return but when we attempted to take them up on the offer the manager was could not be located ! Very unprofessional imo and we ended going to vung tau

Overall a great place for a couple of nights if you can get a promotion room rate . Unless your gambling or golfing any longer would be boring .

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank tawloon l
TheGrandHoTramStrip, Manager at The Grand Ho Tram Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Tawloon I,

Thank you for the highly detailed feedback regarding your stay with us at The Grand Ho Tram Strip. Due to your constructive input, we are currently addressing these issues with our Training Department. It seems we have some areas which need improvement and we are working on this daily.
It would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back to The Grand Ho Tram Strip at some point in the not too distant future, where we are confident that would experience a considerable improvement.
The Grand Ho Tram Strip Management.

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing time at The Grand. It reminded me a lot of Vegas. I hate the crowed/polluted hcm city and The Grand is my getaway in Vn.

Check-in is a little slow but all the staffs are very professional. Quynh and veey really made me feels at home. They provide great great customer service and this is what hotel in Vn lack! Also a shout out for Louis from the casino. Great guy!
This resort is for those who want to relax on the beach/pool not for adventure seeker.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KellySJ07

Dear KellySJ07,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your wonderful feedback. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay at The Grand Ho Tram Strip.

We will be sure to pass along your compliments to the team, and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon. All the best!

The Grand Ho Tram Strip Management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ho Tram
Alma Oasis Long Hai
Alma Oasis Long Hai
#1 of 5 in Long Hai
Saigon Hococ Seaside Beach Resort & Hotels

Been to The Grand Ho Tram Strip? Share your experiences!