“Cosy, friendly local.”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I've visited the Castle several times over the past few years when in the area and have never been disappointed! The pub has changed hands recently but there has been no change in the warm, friendly atmosphere which characterises the place.
It clearly has a lot of regular customers, all of whom are welcoming to a new face.
I was surprised to read the negative review below, I recall the young man behind the bar and found him nothing but friendly and helpful, as were all the staff.
Lovely decor, people and service and still my favourite place to go for a steak! Hope to visit again soon.

1  Thank EFM85

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Having read the recent posts, it was with some trepidation that we visited. However, we found no trace of the attitudes described by recent visitors and were warmly received and well looked after. We will certainly return and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends.

1  Thank Whitemac
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I ate here at the weekend with some very good friends, two of whom live local and recommended the steak as the best in all the land. However, our experience was somewhat soured by perhaps THE worst customer service I have ever encountered.

A list of minor issues such as no menu's presented, long delays for a jug of water ( approx 15 mins) and a longer than usual wait for the starters to arrive we're something we were happy to ignore. However when we had still not received our main course 1hr 30mind after arriving ( granted this was not the time taken from ordering food), we queried the time taken. Unfortunately, this was met with what can only be described as a surly teenage attitude by the young bar tender, who thought it the best course of action to become quite defensive, resulting in a rude retort. When the food eventually did arrive the order was wrong. If it hadn't been for the company, I would have left then and there.

We are all prone to having an off day, but with no offer of apology for the delay and then to follow it up with attitude, I suspect this maybe a more pressing issue to be dealt with by the owners.

2  Thank Grandmasterclarkson
Reviewed 9 September 2013

the staff at this place really need training in customer service! Its been our local for 26 years but now under new management for the last year or so, my wife and I were barred today for having the temerity to complain about the service in the restaurant last Saturday when we took 3 friends there! Not only that, one of the staff telephoned my wife at home today and swore at her because she described her experience on tripadvisor.
Clearly its not in your interest to visit this place to eat and then complain if you are not satisfied!

14  Thank edwin t
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The Castle has always been one of those hidden gems tucked away in the Kent countryside. A good, honest pub with well-kept beer and decent pub grub. A recent visit after a couple of years away revealed a bit of an internal upgrade in the restaurant by the new owners. All looks very tempting and I shall have to go for a meal soon to find out if it's worth making a fuss about. I suspect it is.

1  Thank Ewell