“February Folly at Alton Brook House”
Review of Alton Brook House

and 1 more site!
Alton Brook House
Ranked #1 of 1 Combridge B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“February Folly at Alton Brook House”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

As a family of three, we decided to use the half term to visit Alton Towers. Being some 200 miles away we decided to stay for a couple of nights and make the most of Staffs. We spotted a special offer on Late rooms.com for a stay at Alton Brook House. It all looked wonderful and just as I was about to book I saw that they had a villa for the same price as a room in the house itself. I decided to book the villa. Little did i know that the villa is in fact a Folly. I wasn't sure about this, but thought its only for 2 nights so should not be an issue. Upon arrival at Alton Brook, we were met by a lovely young lady called Leah. We told her who we were and she told us we were staying in her favorite place. The Folly. I must admit, it looked idyllic. Set in lush grounds with open fields and horses roaming free, contained by a small fence and duck and geese contained within an electrified fence, to stop the foxes. Leah showed us around the folly and whilst it was small, it was very well appointed and had everything we needed. Cooker (2 ring) fridge, filled with milk, orange juice and sparkling wine. Microwave, kettle and toaster were alos available for use. Also a cupboard full of cups, plates, bowls, cutlery and boxes of cereals. Before Leah left us, she asked what time we would like breakfast delivered. The next morning, dead on time, a full English breakfast was presented to us in a lovely wicker basket containing, Sausages, bacon, eggs, beans, mushrooms and tomatoes. Along with croissants, bread, for toasting, and yoghurts. It was a truly wonderful breakfast!
The bathroom area is small and only has a shower, toilet and sink. No Bath.
The whole place was cosy, clean and tidy. Ideal for a family of three or four, if the kids are not quite teenagers yet. The hotel is about 5-6 miles from Alton Towers. If you want somewhere to eat I would suggest the Blacksmiths Arms. Its about 4-5 miles away and does good food and big portions. I have written a review on this restaurant /pub also.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tony W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
doncaster
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Only 5 miles from alton towers down a country lane,looks like an old farm house,great welcome when we arrived and one of the best breakfasts I've had,it could only be any better if there was a pub next door,it's located on a country lane which actually turns out to be a short cut to alton towers avoiding the main roads and traffic

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank amkDoncaster
Overton, Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here with 4 kids (3 older teenagers and a 10 year old) after we'd had a two day break at Alton Towers and we didn't want to drive straight home.

We booked the mobile home so we could all be together and I was a little worried as it's February and I thought it would be cold. In fact it was beautifully warm with central heating as well as extra heaters so that was no problem at all. The mobile home was well decorated and felt very homely. The only thing that was lacking (although I'm sure if I'd have asked they would have provided this) were baking trays etc to use in the oven - we decided to pop to Tesco for a few bits to cook for ourselves and there wasn't much in the way of cooking implements - but that's just a very minor thing which I'm sure would have been rectified if I could've been bothered to ask!!

The lady who welcomed us when we got there was really friendly and helpful and provided us with tea and cake when we arrived. There was also a bottle of fizz in the fridge along with milk and orange juice which was most welcome.

The breakfast was amazing…. they bought a basket full of food out to the mobile home at the time we asked for- and it was brilliant :-) sausages, eggs, bacon, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, croissants, bread to toast and yoghurts…..

I've already recommended this place to family and friends and would definitely go back for a longer stay - the surrounding countryside is beautiful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Paula P
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I have recently returned from a one nights stay at Alton Brook House. We were greeted by lovely hostess who showed us quickly around the house and then took us up to our room. We were allocated to room 1 which is on the end of the landing.

The room was very large, and all of the lights and television were on, which was very nice. Our hostess told us about local places to eat and then left us to get on with getting ready to go out for dinner. The room had a lovely feel to it and had 1 queen sized bed and 2 single beds. All the beds very exceptionally comfortable. There was tea and coffee facilities in the room and hairdryer.
The bathroom was quite small, however still had a toilet, sink and walk-in shower in it. We were given soap and shampoo also in the bathroom which was nice, and plenty of towels.

We had booked our breakfast slot for 8:00am. The dining room was very nice. It was very clean and the room numbers were left on the tables so we knew where to sit. There was a continental selection left out which was cereals, fruits and Muller Corners (yogurts), and jam left out. We were then given some juice in a jug, some tea in a pot and also some milk in a jug. We were then given a large basket full of breads, croissants and pain ou choclats. Then our full English was brought out which had sausages, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, baked beans, and tomato's. We were also given some pancakes. This was all brought out on separate trays on a little cart for us to pick and choose what we want.

I will be most certainty returning to this B&B. I have never felt so at home in a B&B as I did when I stayed here. It was and absolutely fantastic experience.

Thank you to all of the staff for such a brilliant experience.

Room Tip: I would recommend Room 1.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Simon E
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Warm and friendly welcome. Comfortable room, breakfast served quickly with plenty of choice. Lovely surroundings. Ideal for a short stay when visiting Alton Towers.
The room was a little over-priced for a bed and breakfast but very comfortable nights stay

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kerrie S
Barnet
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I cannot rate Alton Brook House and the wonderful service highly enough. I had some issues with my booking, my fault not theirs, and they went our of their way to help me out, going above and beyond the call of customer service. On arrival despite having already been incredibly accomdating they kindly upgraded us as a random act of kindness, amazing! Our room was beautiful, and the service wonderful. A truly lovely place with truly lovely people.

Thank you for a much needed relaxing break, I look forward to coming back to see you soon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pickle8w
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights when Visiting Alton Towers. On arrival we were shown to the Shepherds Folly, which was absolutely beautiful & so were the surroundings. Facilities were great and staff were friendly & helpful especially Lisa. Breakfast was superb & was brought over to us at the lodge at the exact times arranged. Only fault was that the walk to Alton Towers was a lot longer than we were told, but other than this we were overly impressed. Would definately stay again & hope to. Thank you for the wonderful stay!

Room Tip: The Shepherds Folly was cosy, comfortable & beautifully decorated.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Combridge
Alton Towers Hotel
#1 of 5 in Denstone
The Warren B&B
The Warren B&B
#1 of 10 in Alton

Been to Alton Brook House? Share your experiences!