“Absolutely fine for its purpose”
Review of Le Bouchon Hotel

Le Bouchon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heybridge
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a wedding close by and found the staff helpful, food good and room decor lovely. We had a deluxe room (number 8) which was beautiful but very warm. I think this is the case for all rooms, our friends were in room 6 (a classic room) which had the same problem. All the rooms have fans in them which shows they know about it. The breakfast in the morning was very good with quality produce but I didn't like the fact I had to pre-order it the night before and specify what time I would going down to eat. My husband and I were 40 minutes after our estimated time and I think the food had been under heat for that length of time. I have stayed of lots of hotels and felt that whilst it completely served it's purpose it's overpriced by about £25/30 - which, coincidently, is the value of the weekend 'supplement'.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kate H
There are newer reviews for Le Bouchon Hotel

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was staying here on a business trip.
On the most part, the bar staff were faultless.
The food I has was melt-in-the-mouth unbelievable. The best food I have eaten in the UK.
Would definitely recommend if your headed out this way.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Re: Overnight Stay April 2014

I am writing regarding the above overnight stay as part of a wedding party of four rooms.
I would like to start by saying that I think we were all more than satisfied with our rooms which were very clean and comfortable, however

1. When my daughter and I arrived, each with a suitcase and bearing in mind there is not a lift, there was no offer of help with our cases.
2. My daughter and I then continued to make several trips between our car and our room carrying various items, again with no offer of help, and which therefore took some considerable time.
3. One of the party was an 82-year old woman and another five months pregnant but still no offer of help.
4.My daughter and I joined the rest of the party for a meal in the restaurant, booked for 7.15, and for which my daughter and I were 15-minutes late (due to the amount of time carrying bags to our room). We were told by a member of restaurant staff ‘you will need to hurry up and order your meals because the kitchen is getting backed-up’.
5. My daughter and I were not made aware that we needed to complete the form on our door to order breakfast and found out by pure chance from one of the bridal party at dinner.
6. When my mother went down for breakfast (26th) two breakfasts were brought out and when she pointed out that the room was single occupancy she was asked ‘are you sure’?
7. On the morning of 26th (wedding day) my daughter (the bride) contacted reception at about 7am to request room service, only to be told that you do not offer room service and that when the restaurant opens for breakfast at 8am she could go down and get drinks and take them to our room (this was for the hair/make-up ladies). I wonder therefore what the purpose is of a ‘phone in the rooms? I would like to add however that eventually somebody kindly brought tea/coffee to our room. There was one bottle of water in the room for two people overnight; I had suggested to my daughter during the night when she said she was thirsty (we had drunk the water) that she contact room service - fortunately however she was too tired as in any event it would have been a pointless exercise.
8. I understand that when the booking was made it was requested that we have an extension to our check-out time which was agreed (noon). However one of my daughters had a call to her room at 11ish telling her she needed to be out of her room by 11 and another daughter had a call at 11.40 to remind her she needed to be out by noon. I took a call to our room (the bride) at about 11.45 telling us we needed to be out of our room by noon. (I wonder if this is the purpose for ‘phones in the rooms – so that you can harass the guests?)
9. As we were leaving the hotel and walking past reception my daughter (fortunately not the bride) heard the manager in a derogatory tone ask reception staff ‘when is this bridal party leaving?’

Whilst points 1 to 7 and 9 were poor service and impolite, point 8 in its attitude to a bride on her wedding day was almost beyond belief and caused her a considerable amount of additional stress.

As a party we spent a not inconsiderable amount of money on rooms and in the restaurant, making the attitude of the reception staff and staff in general still more unacceptable.

I would like your response addressed to myself at the above address at the earliest.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank deniseann47
Le_Bouchon_Maldon, Manager at Le Bouchon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

IF ONLY WE KNEW!

Dear Madam,

We have previously received this very same correspondence directly to the hotel. We explain on our website that review sites such as TripAdvisor can easily damage small businesses such as ours.

We are a small family run hotel and are happy to discuss any issues with our guests at the time. We therefore defend ourselves vigorously when reviews appear that have not been discussed with us first. We have spoken with your son in law on the telephone but were unable to appease him and therefore as a result you have posted a copy of your letter.

You feel that we have disappointed you and we feel that we were not given the opportunity to discuss with you, before your party arrived to stay at the hotel, whether the services we can offer would suit the wedding day arrangements. We therefore feel we are being judged unfairly.

To answer your points in turn;

1&2. It was the Hotel Manager who checked yourself and your daughter in to the hotel on Friday evening. She offered assistance with the carrying of your luggage three times, and even asked a male member of staff for help in your presence, but you declined.

3. The Hotel Manager also checked in your other daughter, her partner and your Mother and did offer to assist with carrying the luggage but again her offer was declined. She opened the door for your Mother to assist her with gaining entry to her room and she also showed your daughter and her husband to their room on the second floor.

4. On busy evenings we do try to sit guests promptly for dinner, at their designated booking time. This is for the benefit of all guests, to avoid delays to service. We are sorry if you feel that this was not politely conveyed to you.

5. The Hotel Manager did point out the pre-order breakfast cards on your door when she took you up to the room; however there is a lot of information to absorb during check in so it may be that you missed this. It is not essential that these cards are completed; they just help us deliver breakfasts to guests more quickly and efficiently, but orders can be taken on the day and when busy there may be a short delay.

6. There was an administrative error made on our part when your Mother arrived for breakfast and she therefore received two breakfasts by mistake. We apologise for this.

7. We are happy to offer room service for guests during restaurant and bar service times, We are sorry if you were told otherwise. We were therefore unable to accommodate your daughter’s request at 7am as our service times for breakfast at weekends are from 8am. There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room and we are happy to provide extra tea bags, coffee, milk, sugar and mineral water should guests request them. We did rectify this problem on the day and provided you with tea and coffee from the bar for the room. The lady who owns the hotel was called at 7am at home and arrived at 7:15am to personally deliver the teas and coffees to the room.

8. The agreement made between Mr Ben Day and our Hotel Manager was that only the Junior Suite be allowed to check out at 12pm, later than our policy time, this was confirmed via email. We do not as a rule allow late check outs but an exception was made for your party in this instance. All other rooms were due to check out at 11am. Our housekeeping team are in attendance from 11am to begin cleaning the rooms to the high standard you mention at the beginning of your letter. For this reason we do call to the rooms after 11am to politely remind them of check out time. I am sorry that the Junior Suite was called before the agreed check out time; this is not our usual protocol, we apologise for this.

9. It was the proprietor at 12:45pm that day who asked the question of the reception team member about the expected leaving time of your bridal party simply because we had guests waiting in the bar area who had requested an early check in. The question was directed to the receptionist and not to any member of the party. No offence was intended.

To summarise, we feel that perhaps you were let down by our service a couple of times during your stay, with reference to the tea and coffee to the rooms and the call to the Junior Suite regarding check out time, but we would have been far better prepared if your daughter or yourself had contacted us to discuss your requirements before your arrival. We could then have explained any potential limitations to our capabilities and wouldn’t have felt so ‘on the back foot’ when it became clear that you perhaps required more attention than other guests, that you required out of hours room service and refreshments for 30 additional guests.

We are a small boutique restaurant and hotel, our focus is on our guests that wish to enjoy a meal and stay with us.

Regards,

Le Bouchon

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was on business and everywhere else was booked up.
This place was more expensive than other places but the locals spoke highly of it so my expectations were high.
The staff were friendly, the room was very nice but a bit on the small side. I was on my own in a double room. The room was well decorated and the bed was very comfortable.
The bathroom was a good size and very well kitted out.
I had been on Tripadvisor before booking and some of the other rooms were larger.
I would stay here again. It was very popular on the Saturday evening with diners but I didn't eat here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I arrived earlier than expected for my room, which wasn't ready - I'd requested an early check in to get ready for a wedding. The management and reception ensured that the kitchen opened early so I could get some lunch whilst awaiting my room. Lunch was excellent, served on the lovely terrace by the friendly and efficient waiters.
The lady on reception was very friendly and helpful, advising me on transport to the wedding.

The room was small but well appointed, with excellent shower and bathroom facilities. Bed was comfortable and with plenty of pillows. It was a little hot in the room but mainly due to the very warm day - I couldn't see any air conditioning but it wasn't entirely necessary.

The next morning we were served a great breakfast in the dining room including a lovely fruit platter.

I would highly recommend the hotel for any stays in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank purple123
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I can find very little to fault about the hotel. Excellent and friendly check in, well appointed rooms, lovely bathroom, excellent cleaning, well appointed bar and an exceptionally good restaurant. Room was a little small, but comfortable nevertheless.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Had a great lunch here today - thanks to a colleague's recommendation. Excellent service and well presented, high quality food. The restaurant was busy but still calm and thoroughly enjoyable. The only thing which stops me giving this five stars was the magician who was visiting tables, and had no understanding of how far his voice carried. Coupled with a large group with whom he spent a loooong time and the volume did take the edge off our meal. That said, we'd recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjcsew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heybridge
The Limes
#2 of 2 in Witham
Roslin Beach Hotel
Roslin Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay

Been to Le Bouchon Hotel? Share your experiences!