The Crown Hotel
Brandon House(Brandon)
US$97
CheapTickets
Very Good 4/5
Travelodge Thetford Hotel(Thetford)(Great Value!)
US$69
Good 3.5/5
PremierInn.com
Bell Hotel(Thetford)
Average 3/5
All reviewsthe publovely villagebeer gardensteak and ale piethetford foresthanging spacelocal butcherbooked a family roommain buildingquiet areaolde worldlounge baran evening meallots of charactera popular placeupstairs restaurantthe ground floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed at the Crown in August 2011, it was my daughters wedding at RAF Honnington. we were put in the annex about 4/5 miles away at a large house in its own grounds, there were other appartment on site but we had the entire house to ourselves there was myself and my wife with her two children and my son his wfe and family it was great, nice and comfy and quiet. Inspite of the fact we were so far away from the pub they arranged all our transport needs to and from the house to the pub for our breakfasts and to the wedding venue its as though nothing was too much trouble. The rooms at the house were huge and very spacious our room had three double beds in it, the childrens( teenagers) room also had the same, all en suite it was luxury. if I were to stay in Mundford again I would ask for the house.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Crown is a perfectly adequate good value B&B. I have stayed here several times the last few years. The breakfasts are wholesome and food in the evening fine. As other reviewers have stated, your expereince depends very much on where you are put. The hotel owns several annexes in surrounding cottages. My chief complaint with The Crown is that old saw about curtains that don't keep out light. A simple lining would prevent dawn waking. Some of the rooms in the older part of the hotel have a bit more character, but locals can get a bit boisterous in the bars and outside the hotel, so ask for a room in a quieter part of the hotel or in an Annexe like Joyce House at the rear. There is usually plenty of parking on or off road.
The bar to the right of the main door is usually more civilised that to the left of the main door!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one with lined curtains
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The hotel is a country inn in the centre of the village of Mundford. I booked a single room at this hotel for one night. To gain attention on arrival took a little time, but when acknowledged the welcome was friendly and without formality. I was allocated and accompanied to a room in an annexe block. The room with a double bed and en-suite shower facilities were very small allthough clean and functional. It would have been difficult to occomodate two people in the room, if indeed it was intended to be used in such circumstances.

The hotel has a bar and restaurant providing food which was very good. Breakfast was provided in a further room at the rear of the hotel and the selection was totally adequate.

Being in a rural area, there does not appear to be any alternatives in the close vicinity and some guests had obviously stayed on more than one occasion.

The location would appear to influence the choice, but the Crown does provide very good value.

Room Tip: Room 6 was very small. Others may be larger
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelexperience12
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We had a lovely stay in a family suite of rooms (£96) really lovely rooms and friendly service. Breakfast was exceptional -catering for sons bacon buttie request! Wish we'd stayed another night to have the chance to enjoy a dinner there - we were basing ourselves here for a local wedding. Lovely, friendly service - fingers crossed for another occasion up there so that we can stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Rickettskd
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have stayed at the crown a number of times when working nearby. In the past I have found the staff overworked but helpful.

There is a huge variability in reviews for this hotel and I think it depends where they put you. . On most occasions I have stayed at a house (Claire House) they own about a mile away. The rooms are big and they will also take you to and from this location to the main hotel for free. However it is really like being in a B&B with a drive for breakfast! Unfortunately on this occassion the room was freezing as the cleaners had turned the heating off during the day. Once turned on the room slowly warmed up and was warm by the morning but certainly not on the first evening.

On the second evening the heating would not come on and I moved out. Barry,the hotel owner, moved me into the main hotel annex that was warm and comfortable. He told me later that the boiler had run out of oil but at no point apologised for my inconvenience. A simple apology is worth a lot.

Later I had salmon for tea that is advertised with warm salad. I asked if this came with any veg and was told 'no' so ordered a side of chips. It came with a bowl of veg and new potatoes and my chips! Again the waitress noted that i should have been told this, but did not apologise or offer any way of putting things right.

This is typical of the disorganisation at the crown and why I will find it difficult to stay here again.

Later in the evening I did tackle the owner, Barry, about the problems I had suffered and he did agree to remove the charge for the chips. I told him that an apology would have been nice and he said that of course he was sorry. I said that if he had actually vocalised this that would have made all the difference....

Also on the first night two other guests came to the bar when I was checking in to report that their rooms had not been made up for them and still had unmade beds from the previous guests...not good. The bar was also, as is often the case, full of VERY drunk locals at 7pm who as other reviewers have commented are very loud and obnoxious. I'm really not sure why the hotel puts up with their behaviour - presumably because they spend a lot...

Don't get me wrong the location is lovely. The pub is an oldy worldy gem. It's just that the service is disorganised and the staff lacking common curtesy. If you stay in the right room on the right night when the obnoxious locals are not in the bar it will be fine (as on my first couple of stays). If however you are unlucky it will be awful! I am not sure I can take the risk again and have now found somewhere else to stay in future.

Room Tip: Stay in main hotel - not in one of their guest houses...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business