“Convenient but uninspiring”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mundford
Thetford, United Kingdom
“Convenient but uninspiring”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We were pleased to get rooms in an annex of the hotel - a converted farm house - with a strange mix of rooms and facilities. One room had both a bathroom and kitchen attached the other just a bathroom with other guests.

The pub/restaurant element of the hotel is devoid of any character although the meals we took there were were wholesome and well presented. The dining room has an extensive a la carte menu.

At the price paid, and given its rural location, it provided adequate but uninspiring accommodation and stay.

Room Tip: Don't go out of your way to staty here, but if you enjoy rural Norfolk then this may suit you.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The staff are un-freindly, they never greeted us - just said 'your rooms are this way, follow me'.
They could not be engaged in conversation, and seemed physically unable to smile or respond in a normal manner.
The room was ok - clean and warm and modern, although we were expecting something olde fashioned ... - the instant coffee (but no tea) seemed a bit 1970's.
No biscuits.
Enough, clean white towels.
Supper was just average but the so-called 'full English' was inedible - tepid, tinned mushrooms, near raw warm tomato, rubbery, un-chewable bacon, more rubber in the form of an egg. An ok sausage. Deep fried - in none-too-fresh oil - half a slice of bread. Yuk! Oh, and coffee like gnats pee.
Next, The Bar.
They served a very flat ale, which we switched for Guiness. Thank the lord for Guiness. Service was prompt but not very helpful when asked for advice on drinks.
Being a very tiny village, the Hotel is frequented by the locals - now, ordinarily, a bit of local colour can make a stay richer - however, not in Mundford.
After being exposed to a volley of racist comments and disabled jokes, then having to then listen to a very vocal young woman explain that the trouble with England is all those Muslims, etc etc.. one can begin to feel slightly uncomfortable.
It was the most overt expression of bigotry - as a normalised form of conversation - that I have seen for a very long time.
But, then the unfriendliness of the Hotel starts to make sense, being as it is, staffed by the local populace.
I am much saddened that my first trip to Norfolk - and possibly last - was sullied by this experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank rudyardx
Cornwall
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Booked via Laterooms, I stayed here for £49.50 B&B. Easy to find, it's in the middle of Mundford opposite the village green. Not a great deal of parking, so I had to park on the road, but it's a sleepy village with hardly any traffic. Nice welcome on arrival, shown to Room A. This was adequate but very small, so I presume Room 'A' has been named after Ann Frank. The room was well appointed, nice TV, plenty of tea & coffee and decent clean bed linen. The only issue was that the shower didn't work properly (shower-head broken) and there was nowhere to put your toiletries. The room was like a sauna and as I couldn't work out how to turn the heating down, I had to open the window - better than being cold though. The menu was varied and reasonably priced, although I had the 'Warwickshire Whizzers' which intimated on the menu to be sausages. However, whilst they are very tasty, they are tiny, almost like meatballs. Another guest said thought they were supposed to be sausages too. Anyway, that's a small criticism. Breakfast, however, was excellent - and instead of sausages, again, Warwickshire Whizzers!. The room where breakfast was served was very grand and steeped in history, and there was some interesting literature to read about it. I would say that £49.50 was about right, not a bargain, but not overpriced either. Friendly people, easy booking out. Not overcharged. Just right. Would stay again. Hopefully they'll have some decent sausages next time.

Room Tip: I'd ask not be put in Room A again. I felt like one of 'The Borrowers..'
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

This hotel is possibly the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. The owner is rude, uninterested in the customers and his staff are equally as abrasive.
If you stay here, make sure that you add up your own bills, otherwise they WILL charge you too much. In one weekend, we ate in the restaurant three times, and all three times we were charged at least ten pounds extra!!!! When we pointed this out, we were made to feel as though this was our fault. Be warned; if you see them adding you bill up in their head, be sure to check the result. Some of my relatives stayed here not so long ago and they complained about the same thing.
The rooms are lovely, I cant complain about them. They are kept clean and warm. If you're tall, be careful of your head when going to the toilet otherwise a serious bump may occur (the roof slopes downwards).
The menu at the restaurant never changes. My grandma used to live just down from this pub, around five years ago, and the food is the same as it was then. It is tasty enough, but nothing special.
Final point, we were quoted one price for our room, and when we checked out they tried to charge us more than they originally quoted.
In all, if you want to get ripped off, this is the place to go!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

Overall excellent
Rooms what you would expect not fussy just comfortable... The way it should be
Great beer
Excellent food reasonably priced
Breakfast well up there table set for 3 as if we were expected so good touch

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Always give Barry a ring on the phone, and he always sorts me out with a room , even at short notice., Service is great , Food is great , Bar can get noisy , but its all atmosphere.
I work a lot in the local area , so its very convenient , would not think of going anywhere else.. Fred@Marlow

Room Tip: all rooms are of good quality, but some do not have a shower , just a bath...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Nottingham
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I have recently stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and would happily recommend it.

I had a large room on the top floor of the coach house. The room was very clean and the bed confortable. The only gripe that I could have is that there is carpet on the floor of the bathroom and I would have preferred to see vinyl sheet, but that's possible just me. My did not have a fixed shower but the chance of relaxing in a hot bath made a nice change.

Food is served either in the bar or the restaurant and it is of high quality and reasonably priced. The beers are also very good, as is the house wine. The bar areas could be helped by having some more comfier seats.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant and the full breakfast is highlty recommended.

One other thing that impressed me was that I left my toothbrush charger in the room, e-mailed them when I got home and it was returned by first class post. Great service.

I will definately be staying there again when I am working in the area.

Room Tip: If you prefer a shower, request it when booking.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mundford
Lynford Hall
#7 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Broom Hall Country Hotel
Broom Hall Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Saham Toney

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!