“Nice pub stay”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mundford
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Lovely food, small rooms, good breakfast
This is a local pub though and you are pretty much treated as outsiders on an evening which is a shame as I would have definitely returned for the restaurant alone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Spent a night here over the bank holiday. Good beer, good accommodation,and a superb evening meal . We found the staff friendly and helpful, and the "locals" were friendly and welcoming. Had a good old sing song in the bar. Overall a very pleasant stay in a lovely setting, and we would definitely go again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Spent the weekend in Norfolk, primarily to Go Ape in Thetford, and decided to stay at the Crown Hotel in Mundford. It's near to Thetford Forest and also happens to be where I grew up as a young boy! So I decided to take a trip down memory lane..

Myself & my girlfriend stayed one night and we were accommodated in another building about 1 mile from the village called Clare House, due to the man hotel being fully booked. The building was a converted outhouse/garage I think and the room itself was decidedly average. The carpet a little threadbare by the door, but it was clean and had a good powerful shower.

Unfortunately the real gripe here is that the room had ZERO ventilation, no air con or a fan and no complimentary water. Both myself and my girlfriend nearly evaporated during the night!! I slept with a wet towel draped over my body all night. Not good.

This lack of air was exacerbated by the fact we were unable to open any windows as there were LOTS of flies immediately outside the room ( I spotted 20 at one point). Is there a problem here, you are left wondering?

Flies clinging to the door and the windows, just waiting to buzz in. Immediately you opened the door, half a dozen darted in and you are playing swot the fly for half an hour. Super annoying and wondering if there is a hygiene problem!

The fly situation and the lack of ventilation really need to be looked at here.

On a more positive note, the staff at the main pub/hotel were charming, friendly and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome. A courtesy car picked us up and dropped us off at our accommodation after dinner and that was really helpful and much appreciated.

The a la carte restaurant was very nice, with food and service to a good standard. I can recommend the Kleftico and also the creme brulee. Both were gorgeous. Great selection of tasty wines at a reasonable price too.

I urge the owners to improve the situation at Clare House as this tainted an otherwise positive experience. Was the room at Clare House value for money at £80 a night? I would argue, no.

Would I stay again? Yes, but only at the main pub/hotel building.

Room Tip: Stay in the main pub/hotel or look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We wanted a good pub meal and we got one!. We both had a prawn and crayfish salad, and then 2 fillet steaks, everything was super, nicely presented and cooked perfectly, only issue I would say is go for real homemade chips not frozen ones, but otherwise all good, homemade strawberry kiwi meringue was lovely finish, light and fluffy!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Room small but perfectly formed. Lose a set of drawers and you could get around the b ed. That said very comfy, clean and all you need. Shower was powerful. Food is varied but not wanting. Not exceptional but very good. Breakfast is your standard full English plus cereal. Beer garden lets you take advantage of a summer evening. Popular business travellers. Overall not bad and certainly worth a return visit.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank squiddyEastry
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I arrived early - just before 12 I was able to check into my room. The staff were helpful and the check process went smoothly. When I returned later it was a sunny day so I could sit in the garden all evening on one of the benches. I had ham egg & chips for dinner, the ham was great really tasty. The pub was really busy for a Thursday night with a friendly atmosphere. There were children playing in the garden and there was a family feel to it. The room was clean and airy. Breakfast was good with a range of choices.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We were pleased to get rooms in an annex of the hotel - a converted farm house - with a strange mix of rooms and facilities. One room had both a bathroom and kitchen attached the other just a bathroom with other guests.

The pub/restaurant element of the hotel is devoid of any character although the meals we took there were were wholesome and well presented. The dining room has an extensive a la carte menu.

At the price paid, and given its rural location, it provided adequate but uninspiring accommodation and stay.

Room Tip: Don't go out of your way to staty here, but if you enjoy rural Norfolk then this may suit you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mundford
Lynford Hall
Travelodge Thetford Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hethersett

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!