“much better 2nd time around!”
Review of Slaley Hall

Slaley Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Slaley
Reviewed 27 April 2012

After a dissappointing weekend in a tired room with the girls in Feb i retuned in a double room with my partner, we had a refurbished room which was lovely. we paid £119 dinner Band B inc a bottle of wine in the room- great value. Lovely meal, good service, gorgeous public areas to sit and chill. we had a problem with the plug in the bnath which didn'r get resolved so it was showers only- but that was only complaint.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room- they are MUCH better.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
seanboyce, General Manager at Slaley Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear JaneGNewcastle,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, I am pleased that you enjoyed your bedroom, relaxing public areas and Dinner and found that the staff provided good service to you, however I would like to apologise that you experienced an issue with the plug in the bath, this has since been resolved and delighted that this did not marr your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Slaley Hall in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have stayed at Slaley Hall a few years ago and was very impressed so booked up to go again to celebrate our first wedding anniversary here. I so wish I hadn't.

We got a "deal" for dinner, bed and breakfast for £170 (reading this, I see others have stayed for far less!). Check in was fine but we were disappointed to find our room was very dated decoratively and was one which adjoined to another through an internal door, despite stating on the booking form that we were staying for our first anniversary. Someone was staying in the adjoining room and it became very obvious you could hear "everything" - kettles boiling, stirring cups of tea, every word of conversation, TV, singing/whistling etc. Hardly the romantic venue we wanted.

The shower had no water pressure at all and barely trickled and the toilet roll holder had clearly come off the wall a number of times and still wasn't securely fixed.

We had a choice of 6.30pm or 9pm for dinner in Hadrian's Brasserie so went with 9pm. Pre-dinner drinks in the Claret Jug were a disaster. We were told it was waiter service yet it took almost 15 minutes for the drinks to arrive, despite reminding the waiter, whereas people approaching the bar were served immediately.

The starter for dinner was fantastic. We were both hugely impressed, but the mains of steak and pork shoulder were poor. Dry and stringy. We were presented with a bill for the full total cost of the meal, despite having paid for it within our package so had to query that.

Breakfast was ok, but again, we ordered tea and coffee and were forgotten about and had to ask someone where it was after waiting for more than 10 minutes.

We were given the bill for our sty with a service charge added to it. This was removed when we queried it.

We had stopped at Close House for lunch on our way to Slaley and sincerely wish we had stayed there instead. The food, service and surroundings there were superb. Slaley Hall has severely fallen in standards compared to my previous visit and I would question its 5-star status.

Dear thevalves,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

Please accept my unreserved apologies for the poor service that you received and the problems that you encountered with your bedroom.

I am disappointed that you left Slaley with such a poor impression as your experience certainly doesn’t reflect the usual high standards of service, hospitality and comfort ordinarily enjoyed by our guests.

I am however grateful for the time that you have taken to raise your concerns as it enables me to address these points with my team to ensure that we don’t experience any further lapses from our ordinarily high standards of service.

I hope that your most recent experience does not deter you from visiting Slaley Hall again and ask that, should you consider a return visit, you contact me directly at the hotel so I can make the necessary arrangements for you

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stopped off for one night as the hotel was offering a £69 bed and breakfast offer. We found this to be excellent value for money as the hotel was lovely and the breakfast was excellent with huge choice. The bedrooms could do with a little bit of updating i.e. tv's, decor but the beds were pure luxury and the bedroom was an excellent size. The leisure facilities are adequate but could also do with a bit of updating. The price of meals and drinks is expensive. All in all though we had an great stay and thought the hotel was great value for money and would look to return..

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Parallell,

Thank you for your review. I’m pleased that you found the hotel, breakfast and the team at Slaley to be good however, I am disappointed that there were some aspects of your stay that weren’t up to scratch.

We are continuing the ongoing process of upgrading the bedrooms and TV’s in the hotel with not many now remaining. The vast majority of Slaley Hall has been refurbished gradually, over the last three years.

I am grateful for the time that you’ve taken to share your experiences and delighted that you will be returning to Slaley Hall in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We like De Vere hotels, have stayed in quite a few now and booked Slaley Hall last minute as it was a very good offer and we were not dissapointed. It set in beautiful grounds about 1000 acres with 2 golf courses, we are not golfers but the walks around the grounds were beautiful. The staff were pleasant, polite and more than helpful. We will definatley be going back, loved every minute, stunning setting they really made us feel welcome.

Dear welovethelakes,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our setting to your liking, I must agree, the walks and surroundings that we have here are particularly stunning.

As with all reviews, I have shared your comments and praise with the team at Slaley who are all very grateful.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Slaley Hall again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

We visited Slaley for our wedding anniversary in February rather than our usual Langley castle as our friend was a member of staff there and suggested we should give it a try. Rooms were immaculate and beds were big and comfortable. The grounds are extremely beautiful and the hall is an impressive sight. I have visited several times for drinks but this time was the first time we stayed overnight.

Dining in the Hadrian brasserie was an experience to forget. No choice at all for veggies other than a curry. Managed to get a sandwich and chips which were fine as far as a sandwich can be. Cheese board was 3 bits of cheese staight from the fridge with 4 crackers.

Staff seemed very overworked. Raised issues with management who told us the food disaster was our fault as we had not informed them there were veggies in the group (what kind of place needs to be forewarned of veggies coming?).

I would recommend a stay at Slaley but definitely take your own sandwiches! I removed my original review out of respect for the manager but that respect has since left the building.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mandythebirdlady

Dear mandythebirdlady,

Thank you for your review. I’m very sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that were not up to scratch.

I am however delighted that you found our grounds beautiful and your room immaculately prresented.

I have discussed your concerns regarding Dinenr with our kitchen and restaurant teams in order that they can identify why we had a momentary lapse from our usual high standards to ensure that there is no recurrence.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I very much hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Slaley Hall in the future.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We arrived on wednesday 4th April, the grounds where all covered in snow and it looked fantasic, not good if you were playing golf, But we weren't. We were staying at the hotel to attend a wedding. From coming form a Hotel background, you cant get much better than Slaley hall. From start to finish it was the best stay in a hotel that me and my wife have had. We arrived at reception and was welcomed by a friendly team of staff. I could go on all day about the great service we received but I will let you make up your own mind. I highly recommend this hotel. enjoy

Dear jaychap,

Thank you very much for your review.

It was a plesure to share such positive feedback with the team who are always grateful to receive praise for the great work they do.

I sincerley hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Slaley in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We have been to Slaley hall many times, staying in both the lodge and the hotel. It is an excellent base to explore Northumberland and set in amazing surroundings and try and visit at least once a year (despite being people who are not keen on going to the same place twice, which says a lot about how lovely this hotel is). On every visit, we have found the very busy staff amazingly accommodating and welcoming of both us and our young son. We often eat in the 19th hole bar as it is more relaxed with our young son and the staff are very relaxed with this and spoil him rotten with both time and indulging his love if ice in his water!! We have often toyed seriously with the idea of a lodge at Slaley and they are amazing but I would have to say the swimming pool the last 2 years is the one thing which has put us off as it seriously needs a refurb. The pool was very cold for 3 of the four days of our stay with maintenance work being carried out on one pool (near the slide) for the whole of the time we were there. The steam room was out of order and significant rust was noted on hand rails and black masking tape around some of the pool sides where ornamental rocks are. The changing rooms are tired and not to great levels of cleanliness. I appreciate we went Easter week when it was busy but no excuse. There was also limited to non existent pool supervisors/life guards so older kids and men misusing slide around younger children. We also complained our son's camp bed was very lumpy but this was not changed and no explanation given. I hate to complain about such a lovely place but think the pool area lets it down. I would hate to have gone there for a spa break specifically given how it was when we were there. I must re-itterate the staff are friendly and so helpful and accommodating and the customer service is really good.

Room Tip: We have stayed in standard x 1 and deluxe x 2 and all options have been good with no significant noi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 186411Caroline11

Dear 186411 Caroline11,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, both in the lodge and the hotel, we are truly blessed to have such amazing countryside right on our front door, I would however like to offer my unreserved apologies that there were aspects of your stay that fell short, in particular the Leisure club facilities and your son's camp bed.

Your comments have been noted and shared with the relevant team members here at Slaley and I hope that we can continue to wecome you back to Slaley Hall.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Slaley
Langley Castle Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to Slaley Hall? Share your experiences!