“Not great !!!”

Slaley Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Slaley
“Not great !!!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We needed a break from the rat race and chose Slayley Hall near Hexham in Northumberland.
The hotel looked lovely and the bar area and little rooms off the corridors are indeed fantastic. However the room 100 pounds for the night was small, tired and in need of an update !
However despite all that we were optimistic and the restaurant looked fine ! HOWEVER the food was dreadful. My partner had gnocchi for the main course and there was 10 pieces of gnocchi on a very large plate ! My meal was tasteless - with 2 crusty balls of bubble and squeak ! Not good enough for the prices charged . I think we'll look for a country pub tomorrow night !

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Overall Mixed experience at Staley hall

Staff very pleasant and bar areas a good mixture of cosy and modern and all welcoming.

On check in I was surprised when receptionist was loudly discussing price of room, when I had booked treat weekend for my wife. (Price paid resulted in her disappointment in value for money!!) Quality hotels normally offer better discretion.

Bed rooms were fine, but more “corporate” than I was expecting.

Breakfast disappointed with the number of customers appearing to overwhelm staff, having been shown to an unmade up, chipped table, we then had to wait 30 minutes for toast and coffee an to order cooked breakfast, which was good quality when it arrived.

Overall for the price I would expect better.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We went here as part of a Wowcher spa experience, and although the room, dinner and breakfast were at reduced cost, the wine spa and lunch etc cost an arm and a leg. The hotel is nice enough, but not up to the standard of some other high class spa hotels.
I'd recommend you go on a reduced price voucher of some sort to help the value for money. The gym was a useful, if small, addition.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darren H
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

After being at an event here I can say that the location is superb. However the drinks are horrific. The beer/larger was warm and flat and being priced at £4.20 a pint you really couldn't justify wasting your money on it. The only other option you had was soft drinks which were through the roof as well. These were kept in a fridge, however they were all room temperature. The water that was served with the meal was warm and soft drinks were not cheap to buy. So it was either water or wine. The food was a minimal portion and the evening buffet was terrible. The fish was burnt the chicken was just bones, sandwiches were hard and to top it off the "hot" section was cold. So overall besides being a beautiful location and a clean hotel it was a shame about having your eyes ripped out at the astronomical prices for warm flat drinks as well as being hungry all day.

Stayed February 2014
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We had a very nice weekend at Slaley Hall from check in to the cheek out it was excellent. I can recomend the Dukes Resturant we had a meal there on the Saturday night and it superb. The 19th bar was also very good and we had lunch in the Claret Jug with veiws over the golf course.
We stayed in a standard room which was more than adequate for our needs, we vistited the spar which also well run. Over all a very pleasent and relaxing weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
North east
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

To start, a week before we received an email asking if we would like an upgrade for our stay, to which we replied in the affirmative. However on checking in we were told we hadn't been allocated one and they ' were very busy. Sorry! We were on a DBB Valentine deal so I suppose it was too much to expect. The nitty gritty - the room, well it was a bog standard hotel room, nothing special except for the shower which was as powerful as a dribbling baby, and having to stand in a bath with chipped enamel, did not make for a pleasant experience. The comfortable bed was the only redeeming feature. The food - we chose to eat in the Brasserie, there was a set menu as part of our deal or we could have gone a la carte, decided to stick with the set menu. Which was average in every sense of the word. The starters were obviously brought in mass catering, the mains were fine, my sweet choice was not available ( a cheesecake) so I was offered apple pie as an alternative. I'm still trying to decide whether it was Aunt Bessie's or Sarah Lee? Whichever it was it had been microwaved for far too long. Breakfast was a bit of a farce as they had no gas! So the option for your eggs was scrambled or erm, scrambled. The cooked breakfast arrived 15 minutes before the tea and toast!
Oh, and on checking out tried to charge me for someone else's drinks, so it was a good job we did not use the express checkout and queried the bill. Staff were friendly enough if not exactly fast. But overall felt very disappointed by the whole experience. Was pleased that we were not paying full whack for the stay

1 Thank des2512
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I had quite high expectations of this hotel and sadly it didn't meet them. When we checked in, the girl stated the room number and which way to go. No mention of where breakfast is located, where to dine on evening, where the spa was etc.

We used the pool, it was disappointing. The changing rooms are in desperate need of an overhaul, the pool itself was cold, however the air around the pool was warm so you could lie on the poolside beds.

We dined in the claret jug, it was very good value for money. However following our meal I was contacted by phone just before 11pm requesting me to go to the restaurant to pay. I explained 1) I signed the slip as requested and 2) why was this needed at this point as I had been asleep. The member of staff stated I must go down and it was only when I explained that my wife was heavily pregnant she confirmed I could pay on leaving the hotel.

Overall poor to shocking service and the rooms look like they were last decorated in the late 90s and it needs a refresh as it has great potential.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slaley
Langley Castle Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to Slaley Hall? Share your experiences!