“Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of Slaley Hall

Slaley Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Slaley
Reviewed 31 August 2014

After having a bad experience at another De Vere hotel this year I was slightly worried about booking the say at this property through Secret Escapes- but it was in an area I was about to visit and seemed a good deal.
Firstly -as others may have said - car park uphill walk to hotel - but there is valet parking if needed and if the car park is busy due to golfers it may be worth taking advantage of .
Area around the hotel with the golf course and views is great , stunning countryside.
Reception check in very quick and efficient partly due to the pre arrival call received from hotel to ask of my requirements , friendly staff.
Room- and here's where I was worried initially but need not have been - clean , well equipped, free wi fi worked - air con worked -bathroom well equipped- very good for the price paid .
Bar area , very nice, great views to the grounds .
Restaurant - as part of the deal a two course meal included, pre booked time on a call from hotel . Restaurant very busy , young lady at the reception was very accommodating and let me have a table with good lighting so that I could read - when travelling alone I often find I get the " table in the corner" but not here . Food choices- others have said they thought the inclusive deals were limiting - I would disagree there were a few choices on each course , but I do agree that the extra charge for a steak was steep for what was a very average steak- but the chips were swopped for the delicious salad without problem ( some places do charge extra to do this )
Breakfast - very good especially with the " specials " available to order - and same young lady at reception remembered me, my room number and gave me a nice table without asking .
Overall a very nice stay , I would go back to this hotel if in area again , not least because I think the staff try very hard to make their guests seem welcome.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Grant M, General Manager at Slaley Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Slaley Hall soon.

There are newer reviews for Slaley Hall

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed here in august for just 1night as a special deal. Place is so big and I understand lots to do. Room was nice. Staff was friendly and helpful. You need to drop luggage off first as its a bit of a walk to car park if you cannot walk far. I didn't think that was a problem for me. But they also have a service to park your car for you. Food fancy but nice. Only disappointment t was the changing rooms to the swimming pool, they were dark and small. The pool area was creative and well done.. Would deff stay again.

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay here at Slaley and we do hope to see you again soon.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Hotel great, but spa needs updating. Changing rooms are well past their best with dated shower curtains, rusting poles and blocked sinks. Limited seating and beds around pool and the loungers again looked a little grubby. Service at spa coffee bar also hit n miss. Sadly came away feeling disappointed.

1  Thank jill y

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your visit. Although we are aware that some areas of the spa facilities are in need of updating, I would like to assure you that cleanliness is a priority at Slaley Hall. If you wish to discuss your visit further, please do not hesitate to contact our Spa and Leisure Manager at susan.hall@devere-hotels.com.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel for two nights dinner bed and breakfast through secret escapes. We were impressed with the hotel appearance and the staff were very helpful. Our room was a standard room which it was, but with ample space, clean both in bedroom and bathroom.
What I found less than impressive was the staff in the spa area and the dining room administration. I had tried twice to contact the spa to book appointments for treatments prior to our stay, both times I received a recorded message telling me that no one was available to take the call but if I left a message, which I did both times, someone would get back to me before 8 pm. No one contacted me at all. The day we arrived I once again tried to book appointments but had to leave a message from our room. No one contacted us so my husband went down to the spa and personally booked them. They knew we had left a message but no one had got back to us in an hour!
The first evening meal was a a fiasco! We had been given menus for our restaurant, they have three, as we checked in so we knew by the time we sat down at our table what we wanted to order. The waiting staff were very good and took our order. When the meal arrived it was a chicken dish but as we found not the chicken dish we had ordered, we informed the waiter and he found out that the menus had been changed but some previous menus had been mixed up with the new and although the orders were taken the meals were different. This is not acceptable from a hotel of this standing. We did not cause any fuss and ate the meal which was ok and at the end the coffees we had ordered were complimentary.
Breakfast was ok but nothing extraordinary we have had better in less prestigious hotels.
Our treatments in the spa were late and although they were late starting the time was not extended to compensate, the staff at the reception desk were uninterested and not at all professional, although the therapists were good.
The hotel profess to having free wi-if in all areas but it was virtually nonexistent even the staff were complaining about the time it was taking to download anything on the hotel system.
Overall I believe this hotel needs to have a detailed look at the small details of their business and maybe concentrate less on the expansion and diversification of the leisure trade.

3  Thank Barbara R

Thank you for taking the time to review Slaley Hall.

I do apologise for some aspects of your stay not meeting expectations, please feel free to contact me directly at grant.mckenzie@devere-hotels.com should you wish to discuss your visit further.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 28 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in room 212 chambre unique facing the golf course. Check in was quick and efficient. The receptionist Rachel was very friendly and welcoming. The room was lovely, clean and very spacious. Definitely worth booking one of these rooms. The bar area is lovely with plenty of choice of seating and the bar staff were very attentive. We dined in the Hadrian's Brasserie which was very nice. I had a slight problem with my main course which was sorted out promptly and efficiently by our waitress (young blond haired girl) and also a young man with dark hair. The food was delicious and the staff were great although we did have to wait a while for our drinks. The bar was quite noisy later on as there were lots of golfers. Breakfast was nice and again staff were very attentive. There was a varied choice although the sausages were very underdone and the skin was quite chewy. We used the hotel map from the desk at the front door and went for the 2 mile walk around the grounds. I would recommend this especially if you are there with children. We had lunch outside on the terrace area. We did have to wait a while for it but it was nice to sit in the sun so we didn't really mind. My husband had the burger and I had a tuna baguette which we thought were reasonably priced for a hotel. We used the swimming pool twice. This area is really nice with a slide which our children would have loved. Changing areas and poolside were both very clean. We would have liked to use the jacuzzi but it was closed for cleaning. There are lots of cosy areas to sit around the hotel. We both really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return and would recommend without hesitation.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holidayswith3kids

Thank you for such a lovely review.

I am pleased to hear that the entire family enjoyed their visit to Slaley Hall. We how to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We arrived at the hotel today for our 5 night stay and whilst registering attempted to book a table in the restaurant for tonight to be told there was none available and we should have pre booked a table when we arranged our accommodation , which we had not been advised was necessary when we booked. In addition I had informed them that I am a coeliac and would need Gluten free food and this seemed to be a problem with the only food options available tonight. This hotel is in its own grounds and not near any other places to eat so to be unable to use the restaurant is unacceptable as we did not wish to eat in the sports bar.

We advised the hotel that this was unacceptable as my food issue is a medical requirement . After speaking with the manager we were still unhappy with the options he made available and decided to cancel our 5 night booking and leave, which we did. The manager agreed after some discussion to cancel our entire booking with a complete refund, and we have moved to a different hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dee C
Grant M, General Manager at Slaley Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Thank you for your comments.

I am truly sorry that there was not a table available in the Hadrians Brasserie on your day of arrival, when we spoke I did mention that there were tables available in the claret jug restaurant and the dukes grill restaurant at your desired times, and also that we would be able to make adjustments and arrange a table in Hadrians Brasserie, we also discussed that we do offer a full gluten free menu to our guests in hadrains brasserie, but once again I am sorry that we could not appease the situation to your satisfaction.

Kind regards

Grant Mckenzie

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Is there a more visually stunning course in the UK than the Hunting at Slaley Hall? It is a feast for the eyes, and a glorious challenge. It's little brother, the Priestman, is pretty testing too, but the Huntings visuals set it apart. And both courses are in superb condition, as are the gardens and walks through the estate.

The staff in reception, the dining room, the bars and the pro shop are very friendly and can't do enough to ensure that you enjoy your stay.

The food in the main restaurant is fine without really exciting the palate, and is reasonably priced. We didn't try the adjoining dining room which I think offered "fine dining".

The negatives aren't enough to spoil a visit, but there is a need for a paint brush around the place, and we didn't appreciate the bar prices, especially being served a scooner of beer (75% of a pint) at what would be expensive for a pint. Sneaky.

The biggest curse is that Slaley exists for the corporate and wedding market, so if you are looking for a golf break remember to ask if they have any big corporate days booked. These can completely take over one of the courses and ALL of the buggies.

But despite these negatives we will go back, probably in May to see the rhododendrons in full bloom on the Hunting.

1  Thank Prologus
Grant M, General Manager at Slaley Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the golf courses and the grounds. We will be looking forward to welcoming you back in May.

Best Regards,

Grant McKenzie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Slaley
Langley Castle Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to Slaley Hall? Share your experiences!