“Afternoon tea”
Review of Slaley Hall

Slaley Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Slaley
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were greeted by a friendly and very smart gentleman.He took us thru to the dining area where we enjoyed afternoon tea.Staff were welcoming and friendly Good selection of teas .I would definately go again to Slaley Hall.Well worth a visit.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank crotchet11
Grant M, General Manager at Slaley Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for your review.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea here at Slaley Hall. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Slaley Hall

Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

We got an excellent deal through secret escapes. Chance to get away from it and have some time without children! Hotel staff were excellent. Pool and spa was very relaxing. Restaurant was high quality - we enjoyed dinner and breakfast. We're already looking forward to going back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gav_jo

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you had a lovely and relaxing break at Slaley Hall. We will look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Went on a spa break and found a bit of a mixed bag. Hotel is lovely, grounds are lovely. Hotel staff exceptional, very friendly and professional. We were definitely made to feel welcome from all the hotel staff.

The food was good, we were on a deal that allowed us to eat from a set menu. There was more than enough choice even though we were a party of three vegetarians and one fussy vegan. I thought the quality was good and the portions ample. Desserts were excellent. Breakfast was also very good, one of the better ones I have had in a hotel of this type (much better than Matfen for example!).

Rooms perfectly ok although my bed in a twin was so wobbly I thought I was on a boat. I didn't mind but this might bother some people. Room 319 if anyone from the hotel wants to go and check. Wi-Fi worked fine.

The spa is where things go wrong. The pool on the Friday afternoon was just full of about 30 kids, don't be fooled by the hotel's description of a "separate splash pool for children" it doesn't exist. It was loud and way too busy and you couldn't have had a swim if you wanted to.

Our treatments were booked for 4pm. We were there 15 minutes early. The "relaxation room" was so busy the seats were all full. Not relaxing. They forgot us and then told us that as we were late (!) our treatments would have to be shorter. My friend asked for a glass of water and was told that the time fetching it would also come off her treatment time. She is 5 months pregnant and the water in the relaxation room hadn't been replenished. I have never been anywhere so unprofessional as here. When we complained about the rude treatment we were given a second treatment which was lovely. I get the feeling that the therapists are very good at their jobs but are totally overworked at times as the spa is overbooked.

The next day we could use the pool as it was very quiet. I enjoyed a swim but the area is not very clean. The loungers are actually disgustingly dirty. I wasn't confident about the cleanliness of the pool either, at one point a member of staff just dumped in a barrel of what we assumed to chemicals, right where we were swimming. I'm no expert but I don't think this is how you keep a pool clean. I had predicted an upset stomach and this did happen that night. In fairness I am quite sensitive to germs but I would expect a better level of cleanliness particularly with the number of young children using the pool.

I really liked the hotel but I wouldn't return due to the problems with the spa and pool. How hard would it be to wash the lounger covers once a week? The hotel manager has got it right, the spa manager has totally got it wrong.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank chrisp1000

Thank you for your feedback.

Overall I am pleased you enjoyed your stay although some aspects of your experience are not up to the standard we would expect. Please let me assure you that I have already discussed the points you have highlighted with our Spa and Leisure team. Should you wish to discuss your visit further, please feel free to contact our Spa and Leisure Manager at susan.hall@devere-hotels.com.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Stayed here with my hubby for a spa day and we got dinner with the package. The spa treatment was lovely (I'll review that separately) and our room was nice. It was very basic but comfortable. We didn't have a great view and it did need updating as the window was a little loose but - hey, I wasn't there to look at the window!
We had a lovely three course meal which was absolutely delicious. The service was very friendly but a little slow.
My only complaint was that the loo roll and tissues weren't replenished before we got to our room but overall it was lovely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your spa day experience. We hope that you come back to enjoy Slaley Hall again soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

After having a bad experience at another De Vere hotel this year I was slightly worried about booking the say at this property through Secret Escapes- but it was in an area I was about to visit and seemed a good deal.
Firstly -as others may have said - car park uphill walk to hotel - but there is valet parking if needed and if the car park is busy due to golfers it may be worth taking advantage of .
Area around the hotel with the golf course and views is great , stunning countryside.
Reception check in very quick and efficient partly due to the pre arrival call received from hotel to ask of my requirements , friendly staff.
Room- and here's where I was worried initially but need not have been - clean , well equipped, free wi fi worked - air con worked -bathroom well equipped- very good for the price paid .
Bar area , very nice, great views to the grounds .
Restaurant - as part of the deal a two course meal included, pre booked time on a call from hotel . Restaurant very busy , young lady at the reception was very accommodating and let me have a table with good lighting so that I could read - when travelling alone I often find I get the " table in the corner" but not here . Food choices- others have said they thought the inclusive deals were limiting - I would disagree there were a few choices on each course , but I do agree that the extra charge for a steak was steep for what was a very average steak- but the chips were swopped for the delicious salad without problem ( some places do charge extra to do this )
Breakfast - very good especially with the " specials " available to order - and same young lady at reception remembered me, my room number and gave me a nice table without asking .
Overall a very nice stay , I would go back to this hotel if in area again , not least because I think the staff try very hard to make their guests seem welcome.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Slaley Hall soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed here in august for just 1night as a special deal. Place is so big and I understand lots to do. Room was nice. Staff was friendly and helpful. You need to drop luggage off first as its a bit of a walk to car park if you cannot walk far. I didn't think that was a problem for me. But they also have a service to park your car for you. Food fancy but nice. Only disappointment t was the changing rooms to the swimming pool, they were dark and small. The pool area was creative and well done.. Would deff stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay here at Slaley and we do hope to see you again soon.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Hotel great, but spa needs updating. Changing rooms are well past their best with dated shower curtains, rusting poles and blocked sinks. Limited seating and beds around pool and the loungers again looked a little grubby. Service at spa coffee bar also hit n miss. Sadly came away feeling disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jill y

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your visit. Although we are aware that some areas of the spa facilities are in need of updating, I would like to assure you that cleanliness is a priority at Slaley Hall. If you wish to discuss your visit further, please do not hesitate to contact our Spa and Leisure Manager at susan.hall@devere-hotels.com.

Grant McKenzie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Slaley
Langley Castle Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to Slaley Hall? Share your experiences!