“Friendly staff”
Review of The Lord Nelson

The Lord Nelson
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend, the rooms are small but adequate, the staff were helpful especially the young girl who was behind the bar when we arrived on Saturday. The food was really tasty, & the breakfast was well worth the money. I told the owner that there were cobwebs in our room & within an hour they had been cleaned away. Overall a nice little place in a lovely little village.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lyndalonglegs

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was a very pleasant surprise to find a pub/hotel that was run by a family who really cared. The converted stable block was really interesting and we stayed in the "Tack" room. The furniture was better than some hotels we have stayed in and included colour TV which we didn't have much time for and an ensuite bathroom. Although we didn't use the play area it looked as if several children were enjoying it. We ate a wonderful dinner which had been prepared by the owner who certainly was top rate. Because of our long journey we went to bed early and had a very restful night before leaving for the air show at Cosford the next morning. We spent that night there also and the breakfast was fit for a farm worker--it was huge with everything you could possibly want (and more) for breakfast. Very friendly and although off the beaten track I think this place is worthy of a top rating all round.
Will definitely be returning to this "pub" and will be looking for places to justify staying there for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms would be good
Reviewed 26 July 2014

After having been to this pub a few weeks ago for the excellent fish and chip night, I thought I would take my wife and our two friends for the steak night which is £18.95 for two people for Rump steak including a glass of wine.

When our food came it presented very well, however, when we attempted to cut into our steaks we struggled as it was as all four of them were very tough. All the steaks went uneaten.

When the waiting staff asked if we had enjoyed our meal we kindly said that we had not, as the steaks were too tough and we couldn't cut through them. As a friendly positive suggestion we said that instead of the glass of wine perhaps they could spend the difference on better steaks. This seemed to be taken on board by the waitress, however no-one came to apologise or to talk to us about the meal, which we all felt was poor. If this was my pub and I received this feedback I would have wanted to put it right and therefore would have discussed this with my customers.

We would try the pub again due to the quality of the fish and chip meal I had experienced only a few weeks before, but I wouldn't contemplate the steak deal again. I also felt bad that I had taken our friends to this pub only to be confronted by a poor steak.

Room Tip: did not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just another pub with rooms. No way. This pub has style in their rooms. Our room was in a converted stable block with 2 single beds & a double. Beds where the comfiest I've ever slept in, room very spacious, well suited to a family.
Had a meal in the bar. Good selection on the menu & also on the board. We had the Lincolnshire sausages & mash. Lovely & very filling.
Breakfast in the morning also value for money. Good English breakfast with plenty of cereal, fruit juice & toast.
The people who own & run The Lord Nelson are very nice & made you feel at home.
Pity we only had a one night stay, who know next time!!!

Room Tip: The Stable room can be a bit noisy during the pub opening hours with them being in the car park. The...
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Of all the places I have stayed this was the most pleasant surprise. I thought it was "just a pub" with rooms but this turned out to be excellent value and friendly as well.
We were given the "Tack" room, which was part of a converted stable block and it was really the best and most comfortable as far as beds and room was concerned. The family run the pub and the accommodation and while breakfast is "extra", don't order it if you only want a small meal as this breakfast was huge with bacon, eggs (how you want them) mushroom, tomato, beans, toast, butter, preserves or marmalade, coffee or tea. I had a hard time eating most of it because there were four slices of bacon and the bill for all that was £15.00 for two people. Amazing value.
I don't want everyone to go there as I want to be able to book a room without being told they are full to the rafters because of good reviews. We chose this hotel because it was fairly close to RAF Waddington and the air show.

Room Tip: All rooms are in the converted stable block and very close to the pub itself. This is a fairly old...
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Arrived mid afternoon and was promptly shown to our room. We had room 1 above the bar.

Very nice room with a humungous bed, well decorated and en-suite. Only downside was that the shower did not work properly, it varied from freezing cold to roasting hot so you had to nip in and out when the temperature got bearable, then the only way to switch it off was by cutting the electricity from the pull switch as turning off on the appliance didn't work! We reported this on leaving to the owners who said that they would look at it, so hopefully it will be fixed for the next occupants.

I've mentioned the bed, normally I don't sleep that well when away from home but I had the best night's sleep ever, fantastic bed!

The food and drinks were all of a very high standard, a good selection of beers and lagers was on display and the menu gave a good variety of meals at reasonable prices. Our evening meals were excellent. Breakfast the next day was good with a selection of cereals, fruit juice and full english, or your preferred variation on this. Staff were all pleasant during our stay, in particular the girl who served the evening meal and the lady (owner?) who served breakfast.

We did not go to bed until the bar closed so I can't really comment on whether the room would be noisy when the pub was open, but during the day it was relatively peaceful in the room.

All in all I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: As mentioned the room above the bar (1 & 2 I think) may be noisy when the pub is busy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Really friendly staff and locals. We stayed for the weekend. Breakfast was plentiful as many servings as you wanted. The room was on suite. Tea and coffee. TV with DVD player.
The pub stocks ales and ciders. The restaurant served a good range of pub lunches from local foods. The Lincoln sausage was very filling
Big telly to watch sports
Only 20 miles from Lincoln

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian L

Been to The Lord Nelson? Share your experiences!