All reviews guest house cave dwellings middle atlas local family local life lovely guesthouse other guests the owner rooftop terrace visit fes moroccan village village tour charming town tiny village naima french livelihood
Reviewed 27 January 2018

The first time I’ve met Kamal was during a lecture on Jewish history in Fez. He was well versed in a number of languages. My purpose for being in
Morocco was to do an art project on migration and culture studies.
Part of this was photographing and talking to Berber people.
In Morocco culture, it’s almost impossible to work with women especial as a foreign man. Kamal was very supportive and encouraging, he helped by finding models and allowing me to use his lovely guesthouse as a studio.

On another occasion, Kamal brought Berber women to my studio in near town of Sefrou to be photographed. This was the beginning of me understanding Kamal’s generosity as well as his support of arts and culture. Next kamal took me to meet local carpenter called Latef who was an amazing artist in close by cave. While going around to photograph
kamal would translate for me talk to local people so they were more open to telling stories and chatting with me via me via kamal.

Then whenever we had dinner, whatever was left would be given to a local family
who couldn’t afford to eat in the same way. giving is food that had never been touched, food from the central tajine pot that no Guest touched with his hands of mouth, every guest is helped by Naima with a big spoon, so the food was always Hygienic.
Kamal also had a great love for the music of all kind which I appreciated. He gave me new artists
to listen to which we’re all amazing. Try Xavier Naidoo !!!! you would love it

Next, I’ll move on to Naima, what a woman. She was the light of my
whole trip. Although she didn’t speak much English, we spoke via sign
language and different forms of facial gestures. Naima make’s every
dish with love of all of Morocco. She all has a smile that can light up
a room. Her dishes we’re beyond the world. She was also modest and
respectful and helpful. She also helped me out with my project and was
always willing to help in any way she could. Which could be holding a
reflector or helping me with bags.

I woke up to an amazing sunrise and amazing breakfast on the roof top,
where you can see the beautiful city of Bhalil, so many vibrant
colors.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank ithothra
Reviewed 24 January 2018

Staying at Kamal Chaoui was a fantastic experience, our room was warm, comfortable and delightfully furnished and decorated in a traditional way. The home cooked meals were excellent, and sitting round the dining table in the evenings with Kamal, chef Nazma and Meryam, and another couple of guests were wonderful, friendly and fun times, where we learned so much from Kamal about life in the village, and in Morocco. The place was lovely, the welcome warm and friendly, and I felt like we had been invited to stay in a family home. I would certainly recommend staying there, and if I return to that part of Morocco, will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank anniejudd57
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

We took a tour with Kamal around Bhalil for around 3 hours. I’d highly recommend this to anyone who wants to get off the beaten track and is interested to find out more about day to day life of a Moroccan village. Additionally, the village is beautiful, famous for its cave houses and button making prowess! Kamal is a knowledgable and friendly host, which made it an unforgettable morning!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank adam3622
Reviewed 4 January 2018

The rooms and bathrooms are very beautifull and comfortabele. Breakfast and diner are delicious and the hosts really friendly. There is A great roofterras. The hotel is close to fez ans also close to the countyside and mountains.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Josephinepaulussen
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We visited Bhalil in 29/09/17 on the road from Merzouga dessert to Fez.It was one from the best experience in our trip over Morocco.Kamal the owner was so friendly and will help you with everything that you need,the room was clean and so perfect decorated Naima cooked for us and it was like eating with family!this was not just a stay this was a perfect experience.From the rooftop we had a great view all over the village! It is highly recommended for your stay.
Thanks Kamal!