All reviews guest house cave dwellings unique experience berber village local family middle atlas lovely guesthouse local life wonderful gem other guests the owner rooftop terrace delicious dinner wonderful hospitality couple of nights day tour visit fes
Reviewed 24 June 2018

At first the sight of Bhalil was a shock. The litter is a real problem. It does look like a third world town. But beneath the ugliness there is a beauty to be discovered. For instance we were shown a cave house that had been lived in by an artist and was now being kept as an attraction. It was like being in a Dali painting. There are apparently 500 cave houses in this town but most are unrestored. A guided tour is necessary to find these cave houses. The Guest house is nice. We had dinner with Kamal and his chef. Great Moroccan home cooking. Breakfast was served on the rooftop terrace. He told us about his plans to restore and renew Bhalil. His passion is quite infectious. His dream is to clean up this little village and turn it into the gem it could so easily become. I wish him luck!

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

Bhalil is a small town in the middle Atlas mountains. You can visit the cave dwellings in Bhalil with Kamal and he will explain about local life. We also walked to Sefrou which is nearby and has a large medina. If you want you can easily visit Fes from Bhalil. The highlight was a 28 km walk through the mountains with Kamal and two other guests. As he speaks Arabic, French, German and English he can translate between guests if necessary. Evening meals (cooked by Naima) are around a large table and are highly recommended.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Kamal is the best tour guide I've had over several trips to Morocco. He's super passionate about his country and its people, history and culture. He provides deeply authentic visits that include lots of spontaneous contact with locals. I highly recommended spending a day on a local tour with Kamal!
Kamal and his house manager Naima even took us with them to the public hammam in Sefrou which was a delightful experience!

The guesthouse itself is simple. It's not spacious, but the rooftop terrace is fantastic. The food cooked by Naima was some of the best we had in Morocco. Top notch hospitality.

Room tip: The uppermost room next to the Tera e is the most private.
Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2018

The first time I’ve met Kamal was during a lecture on Jewish history in Fez. He was well versed in a number of languages. My purpose for being in
Morocco was to do an art project on migration and culture studies.
Part of this was photographing and talking to Berber people.
In Morocco culture, it’s almost impossible to work with women especial as a foreign man. Kamal was very supportive and encouraging, he helped by finding models and allowing me to use his lovely guesthouse as a studio.

On another occasion, Kamal brought Berber women to my studio in near town of Sefrou to be photographed. This was the beginning of me understanding Kamal’s generosity as well as his support of arts and culture. Next kamal took me to meet local carpenter called Latef who was an amazing artist in close by cave. While going around to photograph
kamal would translate for me talk to local people so they were more open to telling stories and chatting with me via me via kamal.

Then whenever we had dinner, whatever was left would be given to a local family
who couldn’t afford to eat in the same way. giving is food that had never been touched, food from the central tajine pot that no Guest touched with his hands of mouth, every guest is helped by Naima with a big spoon, so the food was always Hygienic.
Kamal also had a great love for the music of all kind which I appreciated. He gave me new artists
to listen to which we’re all amazing. Try Xavier Naidoo !!!! you would love it

Next, I’ll move on to Naima, what a woman. She was the light of my
whole trip. Although she didn’t speak much English, we spoke via sign
language and different forms of facial gestures. Naima make’s every
dish with love of all of Morocco. She all has a smile that can light up
a room. Her dishes we’re beyond the world. She was also modest and
respectful and helpful. She also helped me out with my project and was
always willing to help in any way she could. Which could be holding a
reflector or helping me with bags.

I woke up to an amazing sunrise and amazing breakfast on the roof top,
where you can see the beautiful city of Bhalil, so many vibrant
colors.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank ithothra
Reviewed 24 January 2018

Staying at Kamal Chaoui was a fantastic experience, our room was warm, comfortable and delightfully furnished and decorated in a traditional way. The home cooked meals were excellent, and sitting round the dining table in the evenings with Kamal, chef Nazma and Meryam, and another couple of guests were wonderful, friendly and fun times, where we learned so much from Kamal about life in the village, and in Morocco. The place was lovely, the welcome warm and friendly, and I felt like we had been invited to stay in a family home. I would certainly recommend staying there, and if I return to that part of Morocco, will definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: January 2018